What would it take for you to want Holden to keep the job?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be good to see him as an assistant to a dowie type with a view to taking over longer term?

Or maybe the opposite way? Holden in charge with Philiskirk helping along as his assistant whilst still doing the his coaching roles ??

Would the logistics work out though is the question?

Would nobody else be uncomfortable that a man who had never even had a successful interview for a manager's job took our first season in the Championship for 20 years?

How could you justify a manager getting a job after about 15 games in charge? I don't get it.

Might be good to see him as an assistant to a dowie type with a view to taking over longer term?

That's the way I see it too....Dowie gets back into management and Holden learns his trade as coach ready to step in when Dowie's contract is up and we are in the championship....perfick!!!!

Would nobody else be uncomfortable that a man who had never even had a successful interview for a manager's job took our first season in the Championship for 20 years?

How could you justify a manager getting a job after about 15 games in charge? I don't get it.

Holden gets Oldham promoted for the first time in nearly 30 years....

"Yeah but he didn't pass an interview doe!"

With that logic, we'd never have seen Dowie or that midget :censored: appointed- they had no games in charge before being appointed.

When Dowie was Wadsworth number 2 you could see on the touchlines it was him doing most the coaching also had some brief experince as caretaker manager at QPR.

• 2 weeks later...

Kit Symons at Fulham is perfect example of why a caretaker shouldn't get the job under normal circumstances.

How anybody can think Holden deserves it over a proper manager with genuine credentials I do not know. Our form has been average at best and we've been playing pretty poor football.

Kit Symons at Fulham is perfect example of why a caretaker shouldn't get the job under normal circumstances.

How anybody can think Holden deserves it over a proper manager with genuine credentials I do not know. Our form has been average at best and we've been playing pretty poor football.

Who is out there with credentials who will be happy to work with our budget?

For me with our budget it's going to be another 1st time manager with good contacts, who's got their coaching badges. Not saying Dean Holden is the man but think under the circumstances ie massive injury list he's done alright. Liked the positive approach yesterday not giving the opposition too much respect.

Who is out there with credentials who will be happy to work with our budget?

Mark Yates has decent credentials.

Gary Johnson has just gone to the bottom team in the football league.

Neil Redfearn, perhaps.

Not saying I want him, but Aidy Boothroyd has done some decent things.

Darren Ferguson.

Sean O'Driscoll.

Sheridan may find himself out of a job come summer if Plymouth don't get play offs.

www.thesackrace.com/job-centre - plenty about.

What does 10 games at the end of the season say about any manager? I'm not saying Holden won't or wouldn't be a good manager, I'm saying you simply cannot make a judgement of a manager from the time he's had, and it doesn't warrant automatic promotion to the top job. He should face the same process any other applicant faces.

Edited by NewBlue

Can we not just give the job to TP?

We would have done by now had TP ever wanted it he doesn't and never has.

Holden strikes me as a coach and not a manager. I reckon he likes getting out on the training pitch with the players helping them on their game. Not the guy recruiting players. Having to drop or discipline players and coming up with a strategy to beat teams and generally being the guy who has to make the ruthless decisions.

TP is a coach rather than manager, I think Holden is too.

Edited by GlossopLatic

when holden was appointed I wished him well because as a former player and now coach I want him to succeed for my club , but after the first few interviews I feared he was hopelessly out of his depth . HOWEVER since then he has identified what was needed in the face of that horrendous injury list and brought in the right types of player to plug the gaps . Sadler, Gerrard and the lad from Bolton have done quite well . also Holden has made brave substitute decisions and been brave enough to play the young keeper and leave him in which is a good move for the club in the long term.

for these reasons Dean Holden has won me over as a short term manager but I would still have reservations about appointing him full time manager .

I hope he continues to do well and we pick up more points to end of season

Not saying I want him, but Aidy Boothroyd has done some decent things.

Sean O'Driscoll.

Aidy Boothroyd now manages England under 20's and Sean O'Driscoll England under 19's Edited by stevesidg

Aidy Boothroyd now manages England under 20's and Sean O'Driscoll England under 19's

Brilliant. O'Driscoll spends a year teaching the players to win by passing, then Boothroyd tells them to throw it all out the window and hoof it. Got to love the England development pathway.

when holden was appointed I wished him well because as a former player and now coach I want him to succeed for my club , but after the first few interviews I feared he was hopelessly out of his depth . HOWEVER since then he has identified what was needed in the face of that horrendous injury list and brought in the right types of player to plug the gaps . Sadler, Gerrard and the lad from Bolton have done quite well . also Holden has made brave substitute decisions and been brave enough to play the young keeper and leave him in which is a good move for the club in the long term.

for these reasons Dean Holden has won me over as a short term manager but I would still have reservations about appointing him full time manager .

I hope he continues to do well and we pick up more points to end of season

The players he has brought in were probably on a list made by LJ (no way of knowing that) and DH has also scouted them. I don't think he has the contacts in the game that other managers who have applied have.