Twenty's plenty campaign

There was a protest yesterday about the price of away season tickets in the PL and a campaign to set a maximum of £20 for away supporters, and to remove the categorisation pricing structure in general.

I must admit that the latter seems very unfair to the hardcore support of the 'big teams', as they will always pay more for their away fixtures than fans of 'lesser' clubs. But if the TV deal money is used to subsidise Premier League ticket prices it will make the job of attracting supporters to lower league teams even more difficult than it is now.

Another nail in the coffin of lower league football OR a campaign that could help drive lower prices everywhere and therefore reduce the wages of players outside the PL therefore not impacting on the finances of lower league sides (less money, less wages)?

Is it not a bit of a myth that we "lose" so many potential fans to United and City?

We're getting similar crowds now to what we were in the mid to late 80's, a division lower.

Yes, thousands of Oldhamer's support one of the Manchester clubs, or Liverpool, or whoever but - are these not the types who'd never actually attend a match anyway?

Is it not a bit of a myth that we "lose" so many potential fans to United and City?

We're getting similar crowds now to what we were in the mid to late 80's, a division lower.

Yes, thousands of Oldhamer's support one of the Manchester clubs, or Liverpool, or whoever but - are these not the types who'd never actually attend a match anyway?

I dare say a lot of them never go but we must be losing out nevertheless. Our crowds might be similar to the lowest ebb in the 80's when you were almost guaranteed to see people punching each other but United and City have far bigger crowds now than then. Those people have come from somewhere. There are also definitely far more City fans in one part of our borough - Royton - than there used to be. As a kid they were very rare creatures, now whenever I'm back home I see them (and they make me sick, it's bad enough having to put up with the red b's without that other shower muscling in).

But even if we are losing out, there's not a lot we can do about it. We're on the doorstep of two clubs - one of which is one of the biggest in the world and the other is probably the richest club in the world. We must just wait in hope that the Premier League bubble will somehow spectacularly burst (and violent revolution in the UAE)

Maybe our best option would be to follow Bradford's lead in pushing cheap and affordable admittance.They seem to be doing alright (admittedly with a larger catchment population and without two PL powerhouses to compete against)

edit - Bradford doesn't seem quite as cheap as they used to be so maybe, as I often find myself, I may be talking out of my rear orifice

Edited by help_shiny

I dare say a lot of them never go but we must be losing out nevertheless. Our crowds might be similar to the lowest ebb in the 80's when you were almost guaranteed to see people punching each other but United and City have far bigger crowds now than then. Those people have come from somewhere. There are also definitely far more City fans in one part of our borough - Royton - than there used to be. As a kid they were very rare creatures, now whenever I'm back home I see them

I don't know - there've always been a lot. Aren't they just not as embarassed anymore?

The protests lose their meaning for me when the main protestors are the ones who are in Stadiums after paying the prices that they are so vociferous against...

Surely you're entitled to protest if you feel you're being overcharged? Why should they miss out whilst they do it? You don't have to be a martyr to make a protest.

I don't think cutting ticket prices by 50% would double the numbers at matches. What might increase income would be to encourage more season tickets by allowing us to pay over 10 months by direct debit starting in June with no interest charges. £33 a month would look rather good against the £22 admission. A better match day experience is not just about the new stand but rather entertaining winning football. Even if we one day get promoted Oldham will remain one of the poorer clubs with below average support just as we were in the Premier League.

The protests lose their meaning for me when the main protestors are the ones who are in Stadiums after paying the prices that they are so vociferous against...

Yep. My mate - that big lad (City fan) who pops up now and again with the £62, where will it stop" banner at the Emirates, did exactly that.

Does it? Arsenal regularly get 60,000. United get 76,000, likes of Palace, Spurs, West Ham are regularly full...

The aim of the protest isn't to reduce attendances. Reports in the media recently seem to suggest that clubs are taking these protests seriously and looking at their pricing structures. Admittedly nothing at all has happened yet, but if the clubs are indeed looking at making changes then the campaign is working.

In principle I agree that boycotting games would be more effective, but even then I think the bigger clubs will have little trouble finding people to fill the seats the protesters leave behind.

Yep. My mate - that big lad (City fan) who pops up now and again with the £62, where will it stop" banner at the Emirates, did exactly that.

Haha! RT? I used to work with him.

Always baffled me that one - "where will it stop?" Well it won't if you keep paying it.....

Do feel sorry for fans of the big clubs, the categorisation of games isn't good for them. Palace's ticket prices are usually £30-40, but for United they've made them £80. http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/tickets-for-crystal-palaces-home-games-against-west-bromwich-albion-hull-city-and-manchester-united-are-now-on-sale.-2338440.aspx

In regards to the OP, there's not a chance that wages are going to drop from something like this. Wages are only going to go in one direction unless the PL/FL/FA put in a cap, which the clubs/agents/players won't let happen.

I think we should overthrow the government and hit the reset button. If we can get all fans from the other 72 football league clubs to sign up to this I think we've got enough to pull it off. Then we can finally take back what's ours and the only thing that matters in the world, football.

We can still let everything else go to :censored: though.

I don't think cutting ticket prices by 50% would double the numbers at matches. What might increase income would be to encourage more season tickets by allowing us to pay over 10 months by direct debit starting in June with no interest charges. £33 a month would look rather good against the £22 admission. A better match day experience is not just about the new stand but rather entertaining winning football. Even if we one day get promoted Oldham will remain one of the poorer clubs with below average support just as we were in the Premier League.

This campaign is to help away fans manage the huge outlay for away fixtures, it probably won't increase attendances that much, or threaten other leagues attendances for that matter - it's just to keep the whole thing reasonable.

Do feel sorry for fans of the big clubs, the categorisation of games isn't good for them. Palace's ticket prices are usually £30-40, but for United they've made them £80. http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/tickets-for-crystal-palaces-home-games-against-west-bromwich-albion-hull-city-and-manchester-united-are-now-on-sale.-2338440.aspx

In regards to the OP, there's not a chance that wages are going to drop from something like this. Wages are only going to go in one direction unless the PL/FL/FA put in a cap, which the clubs/agents/players won't let happen.

For the majority of United fans an away match is a rare treat. I've a season ticket holding mate who applies for just about every away game and gets very few, he would take whatever he is offered; even paying eighty quid to go to the arse end of London. He isn't shelling out every other game, it's two or three times a season.

One of the joys of being a season ticket holder at Latics is that I can go to just about any away game I choose. He gets regular reminders of this.

How many top flight clubs fail to take up their away allocations? Clubs like Palace will fleece the fans for as long as the suckers keep buying the tickets.

The issue with the big pricing at the biggest clubs is that people are desperate to pay them.

I got a train from Manchester to Leeds the other week. I had to stand up all the way. The train at that time is usually empty. It was full of people who had been to the United Spurs game. All wearing shirts, all had bought a program and most had bags from the mega store.

The train was still full when I got off in Leeds, next stop York. I'm sure there are plenty more where they came from.

For the majority of United fans an away match is a rare treat. I've a season ticket holding mate who applies for just about every away game and gets very few, he would take whatever he is offered; even paying eighty quid to go to the arse end of London. He isn't shelling out every other game, it's two or three times a season.

One of the joys of being a season ticket holder at Latics is that I can go to just about any away game I choose. He gets regular reminders of this.

How many top flight clubs fail to take up their away allocations? Clubs like Palace will fleece the fans for as long as the suckers keep buying the tickets.

How much do Palace charge? I paid £23 into the home end a few weeks ago...

I got a train from Manchester to Leeds the other week. I had to stand up all the way. The train at that time is usually empty. It was full of people who had been to the United Spurs game. All wearing shirts, all had bought a program and most had bags from the mega store.

The train was still full when I got off in Leeds, next stop York. I'm sure there are plenty more where they came from.

You should be glad you don't go Manchester to London on Sunday evenings Edited by leeslover