Bradford 2-0 Latics

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone tell me what the tactic is to try and score......ive been to barnsley and now bradford and cant see how we are trying to score. we dont go down the flanks plus we dont have any wingers, we dont try and play to forte's feet or get him to run at people and we dont cross the ball for wilkinson to head it.

for me if we are to play a diamond midfield the guy at the head of it has to have an influence on the game. unfortunately ours doesnt and hasnt all year although there was others today who did as little as he did. very poor for me and clear the team has massive limitations. we need two wingers in the squad to start with to offer some different options

Let's face it our passing game at this stage of the season is redundant on many of the pitches we encounter.

Boundary Park is ok to a point, but that pitch today was a disgrace and Bradford as a squad are set up at the beginning of the season to play on it. That is why some of the bigger clubs come to grief on it. I bet city don't have a version of a cabbage patch at their training complex. The football league should demand major improvements to that pitch or get them to play home games elsewhere.

The pitch there is what it is, last year it was exactly the same, if you asked the Bradford players and fans I'd wager they would rather it wasn't like that. Just have to get on with it which unfortunately we didn't today. In all honesty all that game deserved was a boring 0-0 draw, story of our season though a couple of decent results and then flat as a pancake. The curry was good though.

Decent Chippy before the game in Bradford. Fish and chips, fishcake & chips on a muffin and the girl says, "you can have them". It gets better, just about to leave and she pipe's up "get yourselves a can to"

She did say on seeing the shirt beforehand, "Oldham, are you going there now" ermmm "No love, we are playing Bradford" She slaps her head "oh"

Now that my friends is a first.

The pitch there is what it is, last year it was exactly the same, if you asked the Bradford players and fans I'd wager they would rather it wasn't like that. Just have to get on with it which unfortunately we didn't today. In all honesty all that game deserved was a boring 0-0 draw, story of our season though a couple of decent results and then flat as a pancake. The curry was good though.

The trouble is they have an unfair advantage, they plan tactics to play on those conditions all year, visiting teams have to plan for these conditions as a one off and are unlikely to be as competent

The trouble is they have an unfair advantage, they plan tactics to play on those conditions all year, visiting teams have to plan for these conditions as a one off and are unlikely to be as competent

They're at home. They can do whatever the :censored: they want, the pitch is perfectly playable just not the carpet some people seem to want even in late March.

And their home record is 7-6-6 so not that great in all.

Don't agree...the pitch was poor but not the worst I have seen. The truth is we were bloody awful and clueless going forward.

We had 1 shot on target in 90minutes and that's piss poor....we don't look like we have a game plan and the two strikers Forte and Wilkinson only play at 50% and barely break into a sweat.

Forte and Poleon have pace to burn but we never seem to play to their strengths....lumping it up from the back is not going to get results...very disappointed with the performance today!

Bradford are an awful footballing side. Lump it forward all the time.

If ever a match was the type who scored first would win, that was it. Wilkinson just got bullied out of it, simple.

Shows his immaturity, needs to impose himself more, still young though and can learn from these games.

Typical game against Bradford. We were OK first half but their strength and combative play combined with "hoof" just wore us down.

I was hoping half time would allow us to regroup but no it just got worse and the pitch did not help what we started the game doing so it ended up with the ball in the air so much of the time.

Our lads tried but for my mind a game too far for Gerrard and Sadler (who have done the business helping us to 52 points) with Wilkinson too selfish and then just annoyed - should have scored first half and then it is a different game.

Forte simply is not best when put up front, I don't think he likes to play there and his goal drouth coincides with his being put up front. It was in the end just too much for a younger and smaller team to bear.

Don't agree...the pitch was poor but not the worst I have seen. The truth is we were bloody awful and clueless going forward.

We had 1 shot on target in 90minutes and that's piss poor....we don't look like we have a game plan and the two strikers Forte and Wilkinson only play at 50% and barely break into a sweat.

Forte and Poleon have pace to burn but we never seem to play to their strengths....lumping it up from the back is not going to get results...very disappointed with the performance today!

Which pitch was worse ?

Classic cliche but the first goal was always going to decide it.

There was nothing in the game, neither keeper had a save to make.

Which just goes to show what a bloody bad division it is this year!

Why should Wilkinson's height determine his style of play, why should he be an intimidating horrible bully playing for flicks and headers?

He uses his body cleverly as a shield when the ball is at his feet, coupled with excellent control and skill - I'd say he's second only to Winchester in our team when it comes to technical ability - while linking with midfielders very well, as he has a good football brain.

Forget his size; he's big, so what? If he's good enough with his feet, which is clearly is, then his physical nature is irrelevant, and we should play the way that he is best, not the way we stereotypically think he should be.

Bradford weren't the only long ball side in that game.

Agreed, even though the pitch wasn't up to bowling green standard we still should have played the ball on the floor instead of playing to their strengths. Been a good week apart from yesterday, 6 points from 9 we would have took that going into the Crewe game.

Why should Wilkinson's height determine his style of play, why should he be an intimidating horrible bully playing for flicks and headers?

He uses his body cleverly as a shield when the ball is at his feet, coupled with excellent control and skill - I'd say he's second only to Winchester in our team when it comes to technical ability - while linking with midfielders very well, as he has a good football brain.

Forget his size; he's big, so what? If he's good enough with his feet, which is clearly is, then his physical nature is irrelevant, and we should play the way that he is best, not the way we stereotypically think he should be.[/quote

I agree with a lot of what you say. But his lack of desire and aerial ability is frustrating. Behind Turner in the pecking order for me.

Edited by welshgaz

can someone tell me what the tactic is to try and score......ive been to barnsley and now bradford and cant see how we are trying to score. we dont go down the flanks plus we dont have any wingers, we dont try and play to forte's feet or get him to run at people and we dont cross the ball for wilkinson to head it.

for me if we are to play a diamond midfield the guy at the head of it has to have an influence on the game. unfortunately ours doesnt and hasnt all year although there was others today who did as little as he did. very poor for me and clear the team has massive limitations. we need two wingers in the squad to start with to offer some different options

This is where Holden comes unstuck for me...to be fair he has all the heart but is lacking on the more complex part of the game where you have to approach different teams in different ways. Making best use of the squad that you have got. I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment but in the other games I have seen I struggle to see the smarter side particularly to our attacking game.

He will do the ugly battling and defending to a decent standard but from midfield onwards I think it will always be a struggle...

Edited by Blue_Guru

I think when wilkinson plays up front we have a tendency to start launching it to him way too much. He is poor in the air but thats how it is. I think the problem with yesterday was we were too light in midfield. They won every ball and that forced us too far back. I dont think you can blame any of the strikers in that game, service was non existent.

Edited by doctor evil

I agree with a lot of what you say. But his lack of desire and aerial ability is frustrating. Behind Turner in the pecking order for me.

I am a huge fan of Rhys Turner, but you have to worry for his career. 19 and he struggles to play consecutive matches.

Wilkinson will without doubt be a regular in a higher division than this one in years to come, and he's definitely good enough to be a regular in this one now. Stick anyone up front yesterday and they'd have struggled, and it'd be easy to get disheartened.

Look at how deep he started going second half to pick up the ball. The lad has a lot of desire to be involved, we were just diabolical at giving him runners and more simply just laying it at his feet in the opposition half. I'm sure when we eventually got him in a decent position second half he made a lovely little chip into Forte in the box, which he squandered.

A good comparison would be Bradford's use of Stead. They often knocked it to his to chest, he takes it down to his feet and links the play up, puts in crosses etc. I thought he was particularly excellent for them. That's how Wilkinson should've been used, not just as a target man like Hanson is.