Not safe yet

Plenty under contract thus time around.

True Palmer, but how many will be here at the start of next season?

We have seen all too often before the good ones sold, and those not so good released from their contracts.

IMO its this revolving door which disillusions many fans, we never seem to build a team.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why you put players on 3 year contract so you can start to build. More players on longer term contracts this time around. I can't predict the future but this is the first time in many years we have held the upper hand. We still cant afford to turn down good money if an offer comes in and would be stupid if you did.

At the start of next season we will begin the season with a similar squad to this season but with a more experienced young keeper and striker. We will also have a new stand.

Things are actually positive in grand scheme but we are Oldham fans so undoubtedly we will look for the :censored: in everything.

Edited by palmer1

Id flog j wilson for as much as any one will play his attitude has stunk recently

What's been wrong with his attitude?

You spoken to him?

Watched him train?

Funny how loss of form is seen as an attitude problem time and time again on here.

That's, but why you put players on 3 year contract so you can start to build. More players on longer term contracts this time around. I can't predict the future but this is the first time in many years we have held the upper hand. We still cant afford to turn down good money if an offer comes in and would be stupid if you did.

At the start of next season we will begin the season with a similar squad to this season but with a more experienced young keeper and striker. We will also have a new stand.

Things are actually positive in grand scheme but we are Oldham fans so undoubtedly we will look for the :censored: in everything.

You may indeed be right about the grand scheme, I would love to see a good settled team, but IMO the 3 year contracts smack of a desire to cash in if they come good after a season - rather than building a team.

If we start next season with the best contracted players sold I feel the well may run dry this time.

From todays Barnsley forum, sounds familiar?

Don't care what anybody says and whether this is a modern trend or not , every time this clubs had success we have had a settled squad with a formation that posed questions to the opposition and not something we changed to suit them .

Did the boys of Brazil decide to go 4-4-2 when facing certain opposition ? , your having a laff , 3-5-2 every week because we have the players and the system to beat anybody .

Can't be doing with this tinkering Malarky , does my box in , build the team , decide the formation and you worry how you are going to stop us.

Simple game , over complicated by idiots at times .

Edited by BP1960

We controlled the game in the middle 3rd of the pitch. We were totally ineffective in the final 3rd and didn't really look like scoring. And we were very shaky in our defensive 3rd, they could have scored more.

We tried to pass it through the middle when they had 9 behind the ball and got nowhere. Brown saw a lot of the ball in space on the right but almost always came back inside with a short pass. Not blaming the lad - he had no options outside.

There was little movement up front. I hope the subs were precautionary for injury reasons because I've no idea how Wilkinson stayed on. He looked totally disinterested, every run or challenge just looked like he was going through the motions. He may play well in the big games but in the 2 I've seen (Yeovil and Crawley) he's been pretty poor. He was very lucky to get away with giving the ref the :censored: sign at Yeovil.

Positives - Jones always wanted to get involved, so did Winchester, and Kelly did well to say he's been out for a while. But most of the others played like they had one eye on Ibiza.

Wishlist - McLeod. Would love a striker like that. Dominated our defence, always looking to get involved, constant threat.

We controlled the game in the middle 3rd of the pitch. We were totally ineffective in the final 3rd and didn't really look like scoring. And we were very shaky in our defensive 3rd, they could have scored more.

We tried to pass it through the middle when they had 9 behind the ball and got nowhere. Brown saw a lot of the ball in space on the right but almost always came back inside with a short pass. Not blaming the lad - he had no options outside.

There was little movement up front. I hope the subs were precautionary for injury reasons because I've no idea how Wilkinson stayed on. He looked totally disinterested, every run or challenge just looked like he was going through the motions. He may play well in the big games but in the 2 I've seen (Yeovil and Crawley) he's been pretty poor. He was very lucky to get away with giving the ref the :censored: sign at Yeovil.

Positives - Jones always wanted to get involved, so did Winchester, and Kelly did well to say he's been out for a while. But most of the others played like they had one eye on Ibiza.

Wishlist - McLeod. Would love a striker like that. Dominated our defence, always looking to get involved, constant threat.

Spot on. We played the ball backwards and sideways for a good proportion of the match - lacking any real penetration. Admittedly the first half performance was followed by a better second but still lacked tempo going forwards.

Once again we gave the ball away too easily and too many seemed disinterested. Poleon was the only player who ran at the defence and his pull back for Turner (?) should have been put away.

Wilkinson not interested. Kelly feeling his way back. Wilson and Lockwood lacked communication. And unless he was injured, why was Winchester subbed?

Thoroughly disappointing day for 203 fans from Oldham - maybe the team can raise their game for the visit of Sheffield Utd, they are in the top six not the bottom four ...

Edited by TheBigDog

If a player is disinterested he should be read the riot act, if he doesn't want to be here drop him and let him go elsewhere.

The first thing a manager should ask for is total commitment in every game no matter what the league position, if he hasn't got that from his players as a starting point he's sunk.

Edited by BP1960

We are very safe on 53 points. Since 2001 the highest points total anyone in L1 has got relegated on is 51, and usually 49 points makes you as safe as houses.

I am sure it will pan out this way, but it is a very weird league this year, and I would not be suprised to see a record for points gained going down. Fact is, we should still be playing and scrapping for every ball till we are safe.

IT was epitomised whislt we waited for Crawley to come out onto the pitch. We looke beat already, no leadership, no motivating words. Hangdog not Yarddog.

Edited by singe

Yet Dean Saunders said in his report Crawley should've scored more.

The chances we created were apparently from à fair distance out.

They should have, Coleman made a couple of good saves, and one was cleared off the line with Coleman stranded.

That said, we should have made more of the chances we had, some really wayward shots. Although we won the midfield battle, and cut through them pretty easily, once we got to their penalty area we ran into dead ends or shot/crossed woefully. The passing was poor. The defence just stood still, everyone seemed to be waiting for everyone else whci lead to their goals.

11 Bradford City 46 14 17 15 57 54 +3 59 12 Bristol City 46 13 19 14 70 67 +3 58 13 Walsall 46 14 16 16 49 49 0 58 14 Crawley Town 46 14 15 17 48 54 −6 57 15 Oldham Athletic 46 14 14 18 50 59 −9 56 16 Colchester United 46 13 14 19 53 61 −8 53 17 Gillingham 46 15 8 23 60 79 −19 53 18 Coventry City 46 16 13 17 74 77 −3 51 19 Crewe Alexandra 46 13 12 21 54 80 −26 51 20 Notts County 46 15 5 26 64 77 −13 50 21 Tranmere Rovers ® 46 12 11 23 52 79 −27 47 Relegation to 2014–15 Football League Two 22 Carlisle United ® 46 11 12 23 43 76 −33 45 23 Shrewsbury Town ® 46 9 15 22 44 65 −21 42 24 Stevenage ® 46 11 9 26 46 72 −26 42

last year

??

I wasn't there, but looking at possession stats it's not an unbelievable comment.

That said, if you go two down it's not unheard of for the opposition to be happy to concede possession and defend in numbers.

When you're two-nil down for an hour, I think it's pretty unbelievable to say you've controlled the game.