Harry Dowd

Very sad loss , one of the great characters during my early days as a Latics fan always had time for us kids crowded behind his goal in the Rocky .

Experienced hand in helping Chris Ogden and a very young Jonn Platt progress into the first team.

Hope his passing is properly marked by the club on Saturday

A family friend, a great bloke and a true Latics hero.

I too hope that the club does something special to remember him on Saturday. He's one of a select few who actually deserves it.

R.I.P. Harry. It was a pleasure to have known you and to have watched you play.

He was also Mark E. Smith's favourite footballer, and this story sums up the man:

Who were your favourite players?
Harry Dowd, the goalkeeper in the championship team in 1968, was the best. He still worked as a plumber part-time and my dad was a plumber too. We used to go behind the goal and Harry would wander over and talk about washers and copper joints. I remember being at a cup tie once and Harry was saying “Do you know if this goes to extra time today, only I’ve got a job on at half five?” then suddenly people are shouting “Harry Harry!” and the team we were playing are charging down the pitch and Harry rushes out, dives at someone’s feet, throws the ball up the pitch then comes back and starts again, “So, is this extra time today...?” (from When Saturday Comes)

How about the current team coming out for the prematch warm up etc in shirts bearing his name especially the young keeper .the young honouring the old a symbol of the passing of the Batton between the sticks

How about the current team coming out for the prematch warm up etc in shirts bearing his name especially the young keeper .the young honouring the old a symbol of the passing of the Batton between the sticks

We can't afford that...

So sorry to hear this news especially as it was only a few weeks back that the story that ThaiLatic reports appeared.

I only saw him in his pre Latics days but he sounded a true character and I am sure will be sadly missed but forever fondly remembered by thousands.

Thank you Harry and RIP

I know I'm not the only one who would like to see the young keeper wearing a green shirt in tribute.

R.I.P. Harry.