Harry Dowd

The first game I can remember seeing, with my dad, was Harry Dowd's home debut in 1970. I'd heard of him as a City keeper and, as such, I wanted to see him at BP. My dad obliged.

What a season that was. Promotion, including 50 goals from Jim Fryatt and David Shaw, in my first season as a fan.

I was hooked and a Latics fan for life. The rest, as they say, is history.

RIP Harry.

Harry-Dowd-3.jpg

Dowd, Wood, Whittle......

Knew that better than my ABC in school !

Harry was the first Latics goalie I remember when I first started going in '72. Goalies just never ventured outside the box in those days......except Harry. Apparently he was a plumber by trade and had little interest in football.

If my memory serves me well i saw his debut at Northampton and he made a howler to put us behind. Fryatt with a diving header and a fluke from David Shaw put us in front, He turned out a class act and is is well worth a round of applause.

Rest in peace.

Needless to say he was one of my heros and in my book despite only playing for us for 4 years was and remains a legend. His antics made sure I wanted to be a keeper. The way he trained, played and interacted with the fans was just so different.

The way his career finished with us was so disappointing yet it provided an opportunity for one of our own, Chris Ogden, to follow in his fathers gloves between the sticks for us. Little did we know that on New Year's Day 1974 When Harry broke his finger at Port Vale (you won't be surprised when I tell you we lost) that would effectively be the last time we would see him in that famous green shirt.

Despite that setback we went onto to win 10 league games on the trot as well as reaching the 4th round of the FA Cup where we lost 1-4 at home to Burnley.

Harry never got his place back but around the club was absolutely fantastic.

A top footballer, a top man. RIP my friend

I certainly have great memories of sitting on the wall of the Chaddy as kid and handing back the old heavy white balls to Harry, who always had words for all us young uns. Was also in goal the first game i went to v Bournemouth December 1972, I think. Shame to see demise of heros, a la Alan Groves and now Harry Dowd. Bring back Green keeper shirts.