25 years ago TODAY.....

In 2004 I attended the football writers awards dinner as a guest of a business. There was a meal, some speeches and - obviously - awards being dished out. Anyone who was anyone in football at the time was at this dinner it seemed. It was held near Lancaster Gate and the room it was in was vast.

While most other guests were obsessing over people like Arsene Wenger and Thierry Henry, I was on the look out for anyone with a Latics connection. I saw Ferguson walk by at one stage but stayed clear for fear I'd want to nut him. It was then that I spotted David Sheepshanks - the then Chairman of Ipswich Town. I set off in pursuit. I followed him to the back of the room to a rather inauspicious table but that was near a bar. I scanned the table and there he was, Joe Royle, the then manager of Ipswich. He was sat at the back among people I assumed to be Ipswich board directors and various other hangers on. If I were to be able to talk to him, I was going to have to interrupt everyone and make a bit of a show of myself.

After plucking up the courage, I approached and as politely as I could, said, "Excuse me, sorry, I'm an Oldham Athletic fan and was wondering whether you had a brief second for chat Joe?" Joe then left his seat walked up to me with a big grin, shook my hand and said, "What you drinking?" We sat at the bar for 30 minutes chatting about games and memories.

I asked him at one point, "So, in all your time as manager, what was the biggest game? or the highest point? When were we at our best?", his reply... "The 3-3 against United in the FA Cup. I know we didn't win, but we should've. We were the better side. Until that point people were still saying it was the plastic pitch, after this game they didn't".

I love my football club!!!!!

Fantastic post Andy. I've got to agree with Joe, this was Oldham Athletic at their absolute A1 peak. Remember Tricky Ricky's impudent throw in onto the back of a United player? Not many teams could have lived with us that day.

....and his shot in injury time at the end of Extra Time that shaved the post.....!

A wonderful day , and a game I felt we shaded .

Still recall walking to the ground as the Palace v Liverpool game was deadlocked at 3-3.

A United fans coach came past , and they erupted ......I had a feeling that Liverpool had not just scored.

can remember watching the scousers getting turned over and walking down to waterhead to get the 82 direct to main road with my dad and a few of his mates from bowling heard some quite lurid tales about the antics of the late Alan Groves and Mike Sumerbee when they had the clothes shop in garden suburb . short walk to find our seats in the over filled platt lane end just got settled and bang the black pearl puts us ahead ! from then on it was just one breath taking moment after another as we outfuoght and outhough united shame we didnt get the result we deserved as we would of battered Palace in the final .

It was one of my greatest memories of being a Latics supporter, went to the game with a fellow tic and a couple of United fans, a few beers before the game then the joy of both sets of supporters, stopping and getting out of their cars as the final whistle went in the Palace game to celebrate. The game was a blur but at the same time encapsulating, after, meeting up with supporters of both sides and drinking the night away.

Later that year I spent 10 minutes in the company of Tommy Doc, he couldn't praise Oldham enough for there achievements that season and felt we played some of the best football he had seen in many a year.

Great day, along with many others we had during the early 90's.

I particularly remember the day as I disuaded my mate from having a fiver on Earl to score the first goal at 33/1 ("save your money, Earl never scores", I said).

He never forgave me (my mate, not Earl).

My 24 year old daughter , a latics fanatic .....says we made it all up , none of it really happened , clever editing ,CGI , etc .....can't blame her the drivel served up for the last 18 years.

I'm 26, and a part of me still thinks these stories are just an elaborate practical joke being played by all the 30+ Latics fans.

In the introduction to his autobiography, Alex Ferguson talks generously about Joe Royle, saying his ''Oldham teams brought a freshness that would never be replaced. Oldham gave us some scary moments.''

When I read that, I instantly thought of this game. Fergie may have won two Champions League trophies and slugged it out with the best in Europe for 30 years, but he knew there was something about our team back then that was just unique, exhilarating and incredibly special.

In the introduction to his autobiography, Alex Ferguson talks generously about Joe Royle, saying his ''Oldham teams brought a freshness that would never be replaced. Oldham gave us some scary moments.''

When I read that, I instantly thought of this game. Fergie may have won two Champions League trophies and slugged it out with the best in Europe for 30 years, but he knew there was something about our team back then that was just unique, exhilarating and incredibly special.

Slur Bacon Face could quite easily have been sacked if they had lost to us. Everyone goes on about the Forest game saving him but the only reason he kept his job is they won a pot. If only Rickys right foot swinger had hit the net in injury time.....

amazing memories!!

Slur Bacon Face could quite easily have been sacked if they had lost to us. Everyone goes on about the Forest game saving him but the only reason he kept his job is they won a pot. If only Rickys right foot swinger had hit the net in injury time.....

amazing memories!!

....or Joe Worrall [who's brother was rumoured to be a season ticket holder at OT] had given this clear goal....

https://twitter.com/manc_union1234/status/585869941015908353