Latics 0-0 Chesterfield post match reaction

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly saw the ball due to chaddy end roof. Wasnt even sat that high up either, they just kept smashing it in the air! Dieng and B Wilson I thought were really poor. Everyone else just average. Hoofing it to Rhys Murphy isnt gonna work

Yawn.

Murphy upfront on his own? Our options weren't great but jesus Christ Holden give it a go fella.

Surprised Chesterfield didn't go for it more.

Completely different to the match at their place early in the season which was the best quality match I've been this season probably. It was at an insane pace for league 1.

Poor from their fans, they looked bored. I realise their team didn't give much of a go but Christ imagine us in their shoes? The away end would be insane.

Again yawn.

Murphy was really hung out to dry up front on his own, what's the point in that?

That formation and tactics today was no way to stake your claim for the job, I know we have injuries but he just hasn't tried to change anything.

Disappointing that Bove didn't get longer and Jacobs didn't get a go.

Agree that murphy was hung out today - completley isolated against a couple of big lads - where was poleon,mellis,turner and wilkinson?

If its some sort of 'experiment' then its backfired - no spark today no pace no balance in team due to no left footers - pretty much a BOO for the whole day

Highlight was paul cook slowly losing his voice as the first half was playing - whispering loudly by the end but the fella has passion.

When did we become a side that needs to play two definsive midfielders and one striker at home to Chesterfield?

Boo boys in main stand paddock treated murphy appallingly...he is not a lone striker and everybody knows it. His overall movement off the ball isnt too bad.

Holden, for me, has just lost the slim chance he had to get job full time. Basically its a rehash of the failing LJ era...

Think somebody has said it...if he getsthe job,i won't be there....

Flashbacks to Adam Rooney the way we hoofed it up to the isolated Murphy. God help us and the lad himself if that's how we play him next season.

Horrible to watch. 2 defensive midfielders at home when we had nothing to play for, players out of position and negative tactics.

Edited by NewBlue

Well done to all "fans" who ironically cheered Murphy, shouted abuse at him and generally acted like dicks. I really don't understand the point in getting at your own players. The lad is clearly over doing it as the transition to League One hasn't gone as well as we would all like but for christ sake to act like a bellend is the work of a simpleton.

The game was pretty dull but considering we had a new line up out and they banged 6 in last week we matched, held and probably should have just edged it against another team heading for the play-offs. As a side we aren't that far away which is pretty good for where we were at the end of last season. One or two additions, keeping the key players and we should do even better than this season next time around.

Well he laid down his marker today, if Holden gets the job i won't be going !!

That was shocking.

If Holden thinks one front at home and two holding midfielders is the answer, no wonder many think he's not the man for the job.

Poleon, mellis & turner are ill. Wilkinson & Morgan smith injured.

We must hold the record for players ill or injured just before a Saturday game, it's happened too often, and like the mysterious calf injuries it needs an investigation.

Edited by BP1960

Another top save from Coleman. He looks the real deal and we need to get him signed up on a longer contract. Thought Connor Brown had another good game too.

Maybe Holden was demonstrating today how he plans to cope with dangerous attacking sides (they won 6-0 in midweek..) if he gets the job? If that's the case, it could be argued it worked....

That said, Chesterfield weren't up to much. MK Dons and Preston to go up with Bristol City, one way or the other.

It's tricky with Murphy - he's no lone striker, but while he's industrious, he never seems to do anything of note. I think he needs some coaching into how to re-channel his energy.

We had nothing to lose by having a real go today and trying to entertain the fans. One striker, long punts up front and a reluctance by anyone to get forward won't bring in any new fans.

I was undecided about Holden, but those tactics today were shocking.

Thought when Bove came on we looked far more dangerous. Murphy looked as though he could not care less. That should be his last appearance if he can;t do better. Bove on the other hand put defenders under pressure and should far better control when he was on the ball.