Latics 0-0 Chesterfield post match reaction

Thought when Bove came on we looked far more dangerous. Murphy looked as though he could not care less. That should be his last appearance if he can;t do better. Bove on the other hand put defenders under pressure and should far better control when he was on the ball.

I wouldnt care if i got shafted like he did today. not a single player ever got close enough to him. If he won the ball, whats he supposed to do?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy Lee. Always looks like the greatest goalkeeper in the world when he plays against us (if we signed him he would probably break both his arms in his first ever training session).

Colemans save off clucas in the last few minutes was top drawer

What is Rhys murphy?

Granted He was given a horrendous task today but is their anything we can hang our hat on to say he gives us something. He's not particularly good in the air appears to lack any real strength or pace he's not one that you would say that he's a creative striker like a Baxter or an action man like a warne and he doesn't appear to be much of a goal scorer. I don't want to write off a player so quickly but I'm not seeing it.

Holdens not ready for this full time. Today showed he didn't know how to change it, he should have made more of an effort to do so both at half time and in the second half with substitutes.

I don't agree with people booing our own players or the ironic cheers when he went off, but Murphy is poor. He may have been asked to do a job that's not what he's about today, but he was one of the only fit strikers, he needed to step up to the mark and graft for the team. He seemed to spend all day moving away from the ball when it was coming to him.

On a brighter note, it's early days, but Coleman looks a real prospect to me.

Gardner better have been injured, he didn't look too bad going off, but appearances can be deceiving, as he was anonymous.

Murphy was getting both barrels from the Paddock because instead of playing on he was too busy arguing with the linesman about an offside decision the linesman got right, as he was two yards offside. Murphy maybe that sort of player who looks to play the offside line a lot; but the fans aren't going to warm to him if the reason he is offside is predominantly laziness, which it seemingly is a lot. They certainly won't warm to him if instead of playing on he is arguing with a linesman who is right.

His service was poor today, to be honest, both sides had the air of playing for their holidays (Chesterfield will have to wait about a week longer than ours do). I thought James Wilson had his best game for a long while, there were some nice moments from quite a few players and their number 9 had so bad an afternoon it was almost like having two games he'd rather forget in one.

Granted He was given a horrendous task today but is their anything we can hang our hat on to say he gives us something. He's not particularly good in the air appears to lack any real strength or pace he's not one that you would say that he's a creative striker like a Baxter or an action man like a warne and he doesn't appear to be much of a goal scorer. I don't want to write off a player so quickly but I'm not seeing it.

This is it for me. He's slow, not strong, and puts no effort in. If you're a lone striker, you chase and harry defenders, like Bove did, and you work hard. Don't be a lazy bastard who's permanently offside, then bitch and moan when you get flagged. :censored:e performance.

Gardner better have been injured, he didn't look too bad going off, but appearances can be deceiving, as he was anonymous.

Murphy was getting both barrels from the Paddock because instead of playing on he was too busy arguing with the linesman about an offside decision the linesman got right, as he was two yards offside. Murphy maybe that sort of player who looks to play the offside line a lot; but the fans aren't going to warm to him if the reason he is offside is predominantly laziness, which it seemingly is a lot. They certainly won't warm to him if instead of playing on he is arguing with a linesman who is right.

His service was poor today, to be honest, both sides had the air of playing for their holidays (Chesterfield will have to wait about a week longer than ours do). I thought James Wilson had his best game for a long while, there were some nice moments from quite a few players and their number 9 had so bad an afternoon it was almost like having two games he'd rather forget in one.

Watching their number 9 was the highlight for me, he was painfully bad. Just a big clumsy bag of :censored:, he spent the majority of the game with his hands up apologising to his team mates after another poor piece of play by him, it was like the guy in school who is always last to be picked every game, a bit :censored:.

As for the game, that was :censored: too.

What is Rhys murphy?

Holdens not ready for this full time. Today showed he didn't know how to change it, he should have made more of an effort to do so both at half time and in the second half with substitutes.

Doesn't know how to stay onside either

Well done to all "fans" who ironically cheered Murphy, shouted abuse at him and generally acted like dicks. I really don't understand the point in getting at your own players. The lad is clearly over doing it as the transition to League One hasn't gone as well as we would all like but for christ sake to act like a bellend is the work of a simpleton.

The game was pretty dull but considering we had a new line up out and they banged 6 in last week we matched, held and probably should have just edged it against another team heading for the play-offs. As a side we aren't that far away which is pretty good for where we were at the end of last season. One or two additions, keeping the key players and we should do even better than this season next time around.

Sat in the Chaddy, there was moaning at Murphy from the first minute. Its a good job I dont have to listen to those idiots every week, oooooh hang on a minute!

Agree with beag and all this stereotypical rubbish about playing 2 defensive midfielders at home really is nonsense. Dieng should have been playing for months.

At least we have a decent goalie for a change and special mention for 'special mention!.'

When did we become a side that needs to play two definsive midfielders and one striker at home to Chesterfield?

Boo boys in main stand paddock treated murphy appallingly...he is not a lone striker and everybody knows it. His overall movement off the ball isnt too bad.

Holden, for me, has just lost the slim chance he had to get job full time. Basically its a rehash of the failing LJ era...

Think somebody has said it...if he getsthe job,i won't be there....

Spot on.

Gardner wasn't injured, according to the manager it was a tactical move to route one as he thought the pitch wasn't conducive to a passing game.

I'm sorry but Murphy is one of the worst footballers I have ever seen. The fact bove came on for 10 mins and caused more trouble in that time against the defenders than murphy did in the whole 80 mins he was on says everything you need to know. Couldnt stay onside if he tried! Would be starting Bove ahead of him ongoing!

So lots on here wanted us to go gung ho and attack Chesterfield. What with a young kid and a bit part player up front?. Chesterfield would have taken us to the cleaners, and more than likely scored a pan full again, just like they did in midweek. With no forwards to choose from Holden did the only sensible thing, pack the middle of the pitch, then try to nick something on the break. If we had gone chasing a win with no forwards and got battered, people on here would have been haranging Holden. I think his tactics under todays circumstances were bang on. And the players deserve due credit for sticking to a plan and being fully committed to the cause.. Oh and the muppets that cheered when Murphy was replaced should be ashamed.

So lots on here wanted us to go gung ho and attack Chesterfield. What with a young kid and a bit part player up front?. Chesterfield would have taken us to the cleaners, and more than likely scored a pan full again, just like they did in midweek. With no forwards to choose from Holden did the only sensible thing, pack the middle of the pitch, then try to nick something on the break. If we had gone chasing a win with no forwards and got battered, people on here would have been haranging Holden. I think his tactics under todays circumstances were bang on. And the players deserve due credit for sticking to a plan and being fully committed to the cause.. Oh and the muppets that cheered when Murphy was replaced should be ashamed.

Well said, we might have been nothing special but neither were Chesterield today, partly due to our set up and our tactics with a weakened squad!

Slagging off Murphy is ridiculous. He didn't work hard? He was chasing after everything, yeah he was offside quite often but offsides are often a result of a poor release from the passer as much as bad judgement from a striker, he was running into decent positions. He looked rusty yet got into a couple of goalscoring opportunities which bodes well.

His touch wasn't great but he put himself about, and for a man who hasn't played regularly for about a season and a half I don't expect much. I've already said but that today reminded me of Adam Rooney - songs about him not scoring from the Chaddy, which was pathetic, and hoofing it to a guy who's built for the ball to go to their feet.

He looks like a poacher to me, and playing tactics so negative isn't going to suit his game.

Edited by NewBlue

Gary Roberts @Robinho2288 · professional clubs should have to have pitches in good condition, can't play footy on them pitches! #getitdownandheadit

A few have mentioned our pitch over the last few weeks, it doesn't look that bad to me?

Gary Roberts @Robinho2288 · professional clubs should have to have pitches in good condition, can't play footy on them pitches! #getitdownandheadit

A few have mentioned our pitch over the last few weeks, it doesn't look that bad to me?

Didn't see any Preston players complaining. Nor any from Franchise. Maybe the players and staff concerned should worry about their own performance rather than blaming one of the three best pitches in the league. http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/pitch-amongst-best-three-in-division-2358607.aspx

Slagging off Murphy is ridiculous. He didn't work hard? He was chasing after everything, yeah he was offside quite often but offsides are often a result of a poor release from the passer as much as bad judgement from a striker, he was running into decent positions. He looked rusty yet got into a couple of goalscoring opportunities which bodes well.

His touch wasn't great but he put himself about, and for a man who hasn't played regularly for about a season and a half I don't expect much. I've already said but that today reminded me of Adam Rooney - songs about him not scoring from the Chaddy, which was pathetic, and hoofing it to a guy who's built for the ball to go to their feet.

He looks like a poacher to me, and playing tactics so negative isn't going to suit his game.

He will probably move to Scotland score a stack of goals and finish up being sold for a million.

Who was the last lone striker who scored prolifically for the Latics?

Edited by BP1960