Latics 0-0 Chesterfield post match reaction

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a disgraceful game of football. Somebody should resign for that...

It was, something has gone wrong with the pitch in a short space of time, can it all be put down to bad weather, have the players been training on it I wonder?

I suppose that gary roberts will have quite a 'hands on' opinion on the pitch - he spent large periods diving around on it....which is a shame because when he did put in crosses - more often than not they were decent.

He was moaning before the game there was no grass on the pitch Edited by byrnes boots

That was really crap. Painful.

Pitch looks bobbly, especially down the main stand wing.

Murphy really looked like Rooney. Lost, but with :censored: service and no support he was made to look even worse.

Chesterfield were very disappointing. Given our injury woes, end of season flatness, sandals already on (literally, it seemed) and their play-off ambitions, they should've battered us. Both teams looked like they had nothing to play for. Even their fans were quiet.

Couldn't even see anyone worthy of note in the directors box.

One massive plus - Coleman. Thought he was very impressive. Commanded his box really well.

Gary Roberts @Robinho2288 · professional clubs should have to have pitches in good condition, can't play footy on them pitches! #getitdownandheadit

A few have mentioned our pitch over the last few weeks, it doesn't look that bad to me?

Think I may have gone a little over the top with my response after a few beers last night.

Connor brown very poor today. Never wants the ball and looks scared all the time

What about his match-saving tackle when it was him against two attackers bearing down on goal?

He's had a good season. Definitely worth another year.

That was really crap. Painful.

Pitch looks bobbly, especially down the main stand wing.

Murphy really looked like Rooney. Lost, but with :censored: service and no support he was made to look even worse.

Chesterfield were very disappointing. Given our injury woes, end of season flatness, sandals already on (literally, it seemed) and their play-off ambitions, they should've battered us. Both teams looked like they had nothing to play for. Even their fans were quiet.

Couldn't even see anyone worthy of note in the directors box.

One massive plus - Coleman. Thought he was very impressive. Commanded his box really well.

The thing is I actually saw it in Rooney I saw a striker who would benefit from the right service and he did score a few goals for us when he did. I'm not seeing that from murphy.

Your right about Joel Coleman or is that David De Gea their doesn't appear to be much difference.

The thing is I actually saw it in Rooney I saw a striker who would benefit from the right service and he did score a few goals for us when he did. I'm not seeing that from murphy.

How can you make that assumption though?

He's not actually been given the opportunity to benefit from the right service yet. When he got a lucky break yesterday he did very well instinctively, with those two shots the keeper saved in front of the Chaddy.

He's rusty. Not played regularly for what must be a year at least. To me he looks like he is smart positionally and when he is properly fit and in the rhythm I think he'll score goals for us.

How can you make that assumption though?

He's not actually been given the opportunity to benefit from the right service yet. When he got a lucky break yesterday he did very well instinctively, with those two shots the keeper saved in front of the Chaddy.

He's rusty. Not played regularly for what must be a year at least. To me he looks like he is smart positionally and when he is properly fit and in the rhythm I think he'll score goals for us.

It's not just based on yesterday it's based on the games I have seen him so far, I also then saw Bove come on and do more against the same defenders when we were playing the same tactics. Perhaps murphy may benefit from Playing as part of a front 2 rather than a lone striker.

I hope your right and I'm wrong I certainly didn't ironically cheer when he was substituted I'm not a knob. But I fear he's another for the BP strikers grave yard.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I too thought the performance of Bove who is a youngster showed up Murphy. He showed better positioning and more fight. With the exception of one moment in the box in the first half he was always off the pace. In the second half when given a chance to play Philliskirk through unmarked into the box he tried to hold the ball and lost it. That left a very angry Philli who would have been one on one with the keeper and far enough out to pick his spot. I think it was that failure which finally led to his replacement.

I too thought the performance of Bove who is a youngster showed up Murphy. He showed better positioning and more fight. With the exception of one moment in the box in the first half he was always off the pace. In the second half when given a chance to play Philliskirk through unmarked into the box he tried to hold the ball and lost it. That left a very angry Philli who would have been one on one with the keeper and far enough out to pick his spot. I think it was that failure which finally led to his replacement.

Better positioning? How many chances did he have? Murphy somehow managed to carve himself two decent chances yesterday in the midst of those shocking tactics Holden played.

I don't want it to appear I'm criticising Bove - he was lively and is still only young - but I'd rather have strikers that are getting in position to score goals than coming short all the time.

I don't disagree he was off the pace, he did look quite slow and his touch wasn't there other than around the box, where he looked far more comfortable, but writing off players to the BP 'strikers graveyard' is ludicrous. Give him some time to find fitness and form playing under tactics that aimed for us to score goals instead of get nil-nil draws.