Latics 0-0 Chesterfield post match reaction

The runs he makes suggest he needs a big carthorse up top with him to flick the ball onto him, like a McCarthy, Porter, Jepson or Stuart Thom...

We desperately need to sign a big carthorse regardless for next season.

Every team needs one.

Preferably black.

A big black carthorse.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stanley30

the pitch was atrocious......again

I blame the rugby team! Oh hang on we've. Already shafted them and moved them on! Sack the groundsman, it's bloody terrible!

Guest Stanley30

We need to play murphy next to a big man, which we don't have! (am hoping Yates will address this). I'd love to see some more of the young lads given a crack. We're safe and if I was Holden i'd blood more young uns, as it looks good on CV , ala Sherwood!( Jeremy Kyle). To be fair, am delighted he's given Coleman a chance and he looks a real £350k player! Special mention for the special mention who played ok today, but has really kicked on since his loan!sign him up! If he keeps developing at this rate he's gonna be the next Mcniven!

Re: Yates, I read an article on him from his time at Cheltenham that suggested his best football and most successful spell there was when he was playing a 4-3-2-1 formation (he describes it as 4-3-3). 3 central midfielders, 2 attacking wide players either side of a centre forward...

It said after two seasons of playing that way, he had to change it as teams parked the bus against them and he signed Cureton who needed somebody up top with him so went to the diamond 4-4-2.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the 4-3-2-1 formation if he ends up here and it could work with the players we already have, with the addition of a target man:

-----Winchester Kelly jones----

Turner-----------------------Forte

------------------ST---------------

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

Re: Yates, I read an article on him from his time at Cheltenham that suggested his best football and most successful spell there was when he was playing a 4-3-2-1 formation (he describes it as 4-3-3). 3 central midfielders, 2 attacking wide players either side of a centre forward...

It said after two seasons of playing that way, he had to change it as teams parked the bus against them and he signed Cureton who needed somebody up top with him so went to the diamond 4-4-2.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the 4-3-2-1 formation if he ends up here.

He can't manage against teams that park the bus? He'll be perfect here then!

Wouldn't surprise me to see the 4-3-2-1 formation if he ends up here and it could work with the players we already have, with the addition of a target man:

-----Winchester Kelly jones----

Turner-----------------------Forte

------------------ST---------------

In which case there will be even less fans watching than now.

Edited by BP1960

The above team was basically 4-3-3, what is wrong with that from an attacking sense?

IMO, that's our best set up. Infuriating that Jones and Winchester have taken turns being wide all season, when we have Forte/Poleon/Turner etc who would be so much more devastating.

Best individual performance of the season, for me, was Jones vs Walsall at home. He was centre midfield, and was unbelievable.

Slagging off Murphy is ridiculous. He didn't work hard? He was chasing after everything, yeah he was offside quite often but offsides are often a result of a poor release from the passer as much as bad judgement from a striker, he was running into decent positions. He looked rusty yet got into a couple of goalscoring opportunities which bodes well.

His touch wasn't great but he put himself about, and for a man who hasn't played regularly for about a season and a half I don't expect much. I've already said but that today reminded me of Adam Rooney - songs about him not scoring from the Chaddy, which was pathetic, and hoofing it to a guy who's built for the ball to go to their feet.

He looks like a poacher to me, and playing tactics so negative isn't going to suit his game.

I am glad to see someone stand up for him- he has had virtually no football for ages, usually comes on late in situations totally wrong for his style of play. In his one moment yesterday he did at least work the keeper twice.

A lot of the usual doom and gloom and all the OAFC, Holden, the board are all garbage etc. I thought there were quite a few positives from what was a pretty poor quality game, interestingly the game was described as exciting or something on the Sky highlights and did have it's moments.

Coleman IMHO looks the best keeper we have had since Andy Goram and has been brilliant in the last 2 that I saw - Coventry and yesterday and impressive at the very least at Crewe and home to Dale.

Elikobi came back after a long break and made an immediate impact coming on for Gerrard who had looked very solid til then- In fact I thought his ( Georges) distribution was better.

Philliskirk continued his recovery

Special mention had some good attacking moments and came close to scoring early on and also made a brilliant tackle late on.

And Dieng- He was immense in the air and also showed a fair bit of composure on the ball. James Wilson also looked a lot more comfortable and getting back to his best.

Given the injuries and lack of options I thought Holden did well to thwart a bouyant opponent that had won 5 of their last 6 games and given a 6-0 pasting to Colchester in their last game,and to have a game plan and see it carried out, arguably we might even have nicked it even though we were on the back foot most of the 2nd half.

On the negative side so much of our passing was too slow- how many times did Kellly have a pass interecepted at source! before it even had a chance to become misplaced? Also as Philiskirk has improved it seems that Carl Wiinch has faded badly.

What happened with Poleon and Mellis?- I only saw 1 mention that they were dropped for disciplinary breaches which does not bode well?

In the evening I enjoyed another Holden a hero of a different era who had quite a few interesting tales but of yesterdays game said it was very poor fare! One of the things he picked up on was the congested middle of the park and the migration of 20 players into a small block on either the R or L from each goal kick and the observations that what can anyone do in this congestion and it was like school playyard footie!

He also thought the game was dominated by 2 sides too scared to lose.