Sheffield Star: LJ could mount Latics raid

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure there's much surprising or substantial in here, but at least it can be a post-season thread for the inevitable speculation...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley/barnsley-lee-johnson-could-mount-oldham-athletic-raid-1-7222974

Tell him to jog off Simon!!!!!!!!!!! Double the amount and add two zeros before you sell to that short arse turncoat!!!!!!!

First two going James Wilson Liam Kelly. Wouldn't be surprised if mvoto leaves them and George Elokobi goes to them

Think an approach for Kelly is inevitable but Wilson, whilst likely, still has that air of petulance about him that may persuade Johnson to look elsewhere. I'd fancy Elokobi's next deal, wherever it is, will be structured on more of a pay as you play basis.

I'm more positive.

We resisted in January. Money slightly less tight.

We've saved half a season in Johnsons wage well maybe not quite.

Although the new stand won't start paying till next year, indication are we won;t be so tight on money

Better crowds next year if Northern bias returns

The team has stuck together inadversity, they might not want upheavel

If youa re a Barnsley player now and read that, they you are going to be hacked off, has he lost the dressing room already

Barnsley fans are going to have ambitions beyond our players

More players are tied down this year.

We have a history of selling and there is no way SC is going to let anyone go cheap to him

Think an approach for Kelly is inevitable but Wilson, whilst likely, still has that air of petulance about him that may persuade Johnson to look elsewhere. I'd fancy Elokobi's next deal, wherever it is, will be structured on more of a pay as you play basis.

I'd have thought Wilson has much the same air as he did when Johnson knew him at Bristol.

Anyway, none of them will go, he'd lost the dress room when he left.

Buying our players? i dont think the barnsley fans or board will accept a below mid table finish Lee. Good luck with that.

Seling club or not SC needs to stand firm on this on eand not sell to them. Do not let a league 1 club take our Managment staff and best players for undisclosed amounts. That cannot happen!

I'd have thought Wilson has much the same air as he did when Johnson knew him at Bristol.

Anyway, none of them will go, he'd lost the dress room when he left.

Which is why we were able to sign Wilson on the cheap.

I think this idea of a manager 'losing the dressing room' gets thrown around a bit too easily. There will always be some players unhappy with a manager - usually those not playing - but I don't think too many of our lot were against him. Certainly not Kelly who seemed genuine when congratulating him on the move the following day.

Which is why we were able to sign Wilson on the cheap.

I think this idea of a manager 'losing the dressing room' gets thrown around a bit too easily. There will always be some players unhappy with a manager - usually those not playing - but I don't think too many of our lot were against him. Certainly not Kelly who seemed genuine when congratulating him on the move the following day.

In general I would agree with you, about losing the dressing room but after Chedgate he clearly did. And he is already talking about wholesale changes to the Barsneley line up, who after their little peak have not won since they played us. PLayes talk to each other all the time, a couple texting donlt trust him two faced t*** may destabliise very quickly.

Edited by singe

He's already asked Bolton about Wilkinson for next season hasn't he?

As long as we keep him away from Jones, Kelly, Winiesta & Mills he can have any of the others.

He can take Wilkinson. Not done anywhere near enough to warrant us wanting to push the boat out for him. As much as I like the lad.

That crop you name are exactly the ones we HAVE to keep hold of if we want to challenge in this league. All could play at a higher level.

Anyone else can go for me, including Forte.

Why wouldn't we put a clause in that he can't come back and do this for say, 12 months.

These were his words: "Hopefully we've got to a stage where generally our sellable commodaties are on two or three-year contracts minimum which is good. It means it's going to be tough for somebody to go and prize them away.

"Of course, we don't want to stand in people's way but hopefully we can get to a point where we can do a Peterborough and buy players for money but then sell them for a lot of money when we develop them.:

So, Johnson rates:

Kelly: £2mil

Wilson: £500k

Jones £1mil

Winiesta: £6.5mil

Right so let's have a bit of fun!

How much realistically would you let our prized assets be sold for at a minimum?

For me I'd say:-

Kelly - £1m

Mills - £800k

Jones - £750k

Winiesta - £2.5m

Forte - £100k

J. Wilson - £750k

The rest I'd probably let go on frees apart from maybe Poleon as I'd want to either recoup most of what we paid for him or try and let him develop.

Then why aren't they?

Obviously you need to catch up. Players pick up injuries at bigger clubs, lose their way a little bit, sign for a smaller club, form picks up, they move on back to higher level.

That's generally how our transfer policy works.

How much realistically would you let our prized assets be sold for at a minimum?

Realistically?

Wilson, Jones, Poleon and Forte have one year left on their contract. Jones & Wilson probably worth most, maybe 250-300k?

Mills, Kelly and Winch have 2, so we have a bit more leeway. Nobody's worth a million though. 500k for Kelly, who's probably our most saleable asset.

Although there should be a 100k Barnsley premium per player.

For me I'd say:-

Kelly - £1m

Mills - £800k

Jones - £750k

Winiesta - £2.5m

Forte - £100k

J. Wilson - £750k

The rest I'd probably let go on frees apart from maybe Poleon as I'd want to either recoup most of what we paid for him or try and let him develop.

I think that someone has been smoking something this morning!