Holden stats as manager

Wingers in the rick holden sense are few and far between but as i originally replied - poleon and winchester could be the supply rather than packing the midfield

Poleon is a quick striker.... Who needs a big lad alongside him to lay it off..., Winchester is a centre midfielder... Neither are wingers!!!

I'm not harking back to the Rick Holden, Neil Adams days... They are long gone. They game has changed, I appreciate that.

However, if Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, et al, have trouble playing 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-1-1-2-3-4-2-3.... Or whatever ridiculous mathematical equation the UEFA ABC badge tells you is necessary, how on earth can we expect 3rd division footballers to cope?

Play 4-4-fookin-2 with 2 wingers, 2 centre mids, and 2 strikers! This means we have to sign some wingers....!!!

CM: two from; Kelly, Jones, Winchester, Woodland (if we keep him)

CF: two from Turner, Murphy, Bove, Poleon, Philliskirk

Put Forte on the left wing if he carries on....

....get shut of Mellor, Brown, Morgan-Smith, Brian Wilson and Lockwood (as a player at least)....

Edited by lookersstandandy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't want Dowie but would be alright with Ashworth?

Ok...

If Dowie hadn't managed us before, nobody would want him. He's been out of work for 5 years, hasn't done anything successful for 11. When he has been successful, he's had money to spend, which we don't have. A lot of people on here seem to think Harbin was a big part of his success, and he wouldn't have him this time around. He'd basically an expensive gamble, and in my view, the risks outweigh the positives.

Ashworth wouldn't be my first choice, but he seems to be in the final 3. I've said why it shouldn't be Holden, and Yates is very meh. Ashworth might be a successful left-field appointment. Who knows.

If Dowie hadn't managed us before, nobody would want him. He's been out of work for 5 years, hasn't done anything successful for 11. When he has been successful, he's had money to spend, which we don't have. A lot of people on here seem to think Harbin was a big part of his success, and he wouldn't have him this time around. He'd basically an expensive gamble, and in my view, the risks outweigh the positives.

Ashworth wouldn't be my first choice, but he seems to be in the final 3. I've said why it shouldn't be Holden, and Yates is very meh. Ashworth might be a successful left-field appointment. Who knows.

Define what success is for us at the moment?

At the risk of sounding like BP1960, I'd say the last thing we need right now is a complete nobody with all the badges, the buzz that had returned for those 3 months when we were good is being lost just as quick.

If he was upto it surely, for no other reason than pride, he could drag better results and/or more entertaining football out of these twats.

That said, I still think him staying gives us the best chance of keeping these twats together.

For a lot of the early part of this season they looked far less like twats than most of the other twats we've had to suffer in recent times...

If some other :censored: gets it he's going to want to replace most of these twats with new twats. Yet again.

And we know that doesn't twatting get any :censored: anywhere and leaves all of us feeling like right twats for parting with £300 again.

T Philiskirk is the first to admit he doesn't want to be near the first team.

He is being forced to do it because there is'nt else.....

Surely with over 100 people apparently applying for the job it really can't come down to who will do it for the least money?

But we all know it will !

Define what success is for us at the moment?

At the risk of sounding like BP1960, I'd say the last thing we need right now is a complete nobody with all the badges, the buzz that had returned for those 3 months when we were good is being lost just as quick.

This time in year, I'd define success as a top half finish, pushing for the play-offs, playing decentish football, with a manager and squad tied down for at least another season. Which is what Johnson was on course for, all the more annoying he left.

Buzz is created by winning games. Any excitement caused by hiring Dowie would be lost instantly if the results were awful - not that they definitely would be. Alternatively, the doom and gloom that would come with Ashworth/A.N. Other would be gone if we have a good start.

The only managerial appointment that would create a financially noticeable boost would be someone of the Scholes ilk.

We can all agree that BP is a pretty buzz-free place right now.

Poleon is a quick striker.... Who needs a big lad alongside him to lay it off..., Winchester is a centre midfielder... Neither are wingers!!!

I'm not harking back to the Rick Holden, Neil Adams days... They are long gone. They game has changed, I appreciate that.

However, if Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, et al, have trouble playing 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-1-1-2-3-4-2-3.... Or whatever ridiculous mathematical equation the UEFA ABC badge tells you is necessary, how on earth can we expect 3rd division footballers to cope?

Play 4-4-fookin-2 with 2 wingers, 2 centre mids, and 2 strikers! This means we have to sign some wingers....!!!

....get shut of Mellor, Brown, Morgan-Smith, Brian Wilson and Lockwood (as a player at least)....

I don't think Barcelona have a formation, just 8 or 9 camped around the penalty area scoring goals, mind you they can string 100 passes together, the Latics struggle with 2.

This time in year, I'd define success as a top half finish, pushing for the play-offs, playing decentish football, with a manager and squad tied down for at least another season. Which is what Johnson was on course for, all the more annoying he left.

Buzz is created by winning games. Any excitement caused by hiring Dowie would be lost instantly if the results were awful - not that they definitely would be. Alternatively, the doom and gloom that would come with Ashworth/A.N. Other would be gone if we have a good start.

The only managerial appointment that would create a financially noticeable boost would be someone of the Scholes ilk.

We can all agree that BP is a pretty buzz-free place right now.

Not Scholes, but I still think it could be Crouch, all the other names might be red herrings thrown at us by SC.

And the year after.

And even more for many of the previous however many years - meaning he doesn't now need to work for the money.

If he wants to get into management he'll be taking a paycut, even in the Premier League. I don't see him getting a Premier League job.

Whether him managing OAFC happens or not, we'll see. But it isn't as unlikely as it first sounds.....

I do actually agree with your original point! But football 'trends' do influence people- currently the diamond thingy. Three of this seasons top sides:

Bristol city - pretty much 442 but not with 'traditional' wingers - big man small man up top - the best 2 footballing sides swindon and mkdons play...no idea! They seem to have extra players because of the fluidity,this can be exposed defensively but hell i would accept that.

These are the templates i would rather mimic than premiership trends.

I think part of the reason we tend to start well is that confidence an optimism is high with what are generally weak minded young squads...the minute we lose a game or two and the confidence dips it's all down hill from there on in.

Dowie will be strong enough IMO to pull in mentally stronger players and keep their heads up for the course of the season

The current trend in coaching does not appear to suit our league 1 players. It probably only suits the very best so English football is going in the wrong direction. Barca have ten extremely gifted and fit interchangeable players. We have what we have and what we still need is a tall front man, something Forte has proved over and over that he is not. Holden will know or have worked out what his future holds and that performance was down and out. So poor that we quickly left it behind us and put the world to rights with more beer.

If we'd have got a decent manager in after Johnson left we'd not be too far off playoffs now. Seems the board assumed we'd tail off without thinking that we had a chance of the playoffs.

I know he inherited injuries but I'm sure that a new manager & the chance to go up would've got a few players motivated to get back sooner.

Holden never the answer but tried his best.

Just hope board see that. Players can't be too keen either or they would've put in a shift yesterday. We only done well where players are self-motivated against sides in playoffs and Dale. Don't think that's Holden.

We only done well where players are self-motivated against sides in playoffs.

Against sides that have finished top 6:

P12 W1 D6 L5 Pts 9 out of 36.

One win. 0.75 points per game.

We may be over egging our form against these teams.

Edited by opinions4u

If he was upto it surely, for no other reason than pride, he could drag better results and/or more entertaining football out of these twats.

That said, I still think him staying gives us the best chance of keeping these twats together.

For a lot of the early part of this season they looked far less like twats than most of the other twats we've had to suffer in recent times...

If some other :censored: gets it he's going to want to replace most of these twats with new twats. Yet again.

And we know that doesn't twatting get any :censored: anywhere and leaves all of us feeling like right twats for parting with £300 again.

£300??? Where? I'll have one at that price...

Speaking after the game, Holden said: "It was a flat performance, especially in the final third. I don't think there was a lot in the game. We set up for a short corner, we've lost it and they have hit us on the counter and got the first goal but up until then I thought it was quite an even game.

So we were OK for a whole 20 minutes!

"I think we had a go in the second half and it was important it didn't become three, four or five.

So as long as we keep it to 2 that's OK as well!!

Holden's been thrown in at the deep end and has had a lot of injuries to contend with but I do not want him in charge next season otherwise after match comments like the above, I fear, will become common place.

Edited by oafc1955

Speaking after the game, Holden said: "It was a flat performance, especially in the final third. I don't think there was a lot in the game. We set up for a short corner, we've lost it and they have hit us on the counter and got the first goal but up until then I thought it was quite an even game.

So we were OK for a whole 20 minutes!

"I think we had a go in the second half and it was important it didn't become three, four or five.

So as long as we keep it to 2 that's OK as well!!

Holden's been thrown in at the deep end and has had a lot of injuries to contend with but I do want him in charge next season otherwise after match comments like the above, I fear, will become common place.

Why us it important it didn't become 3 or 4?

The season is over and our goal difference is shocking anyway.

I rather lose by 3 or 4 while having real go at getting back into it than go 2 down and just see the game out making sure it doesn't get any worse.

Wrong mentality entirely for me.

Edited by palmer1