Darren Kelly had not been in the Sunderland job 1 month when our managers vacancy came up.

Did he apply then?

He'd only just found the coffee machine, the copier and just about got is PC log in..

Edited by singe

It's entirely feasible he did not complete his probationary period at Sunderland.

Darren Kelly @Darren6kelly

· Jan 23

After 8 great years as both Player & Coach I leave York City FC for pastures new. Good luck to all @yorkcityfc and thanks for the memories⚽️

8 retweets 43 favorites

 Reply

 Retweet 8

 Favorite 43

They had 3 managers in his time at York, he didn't even make the Caretaker manager role that came up in October last year, after Worthington left.

I assume SC asked the York board why they didnt consider him for the manager job?

Edited by BP1960

I have given this subject some serious consideration over the last couple of days and whilst I'm not happy with the choice of manager I am prepared to give him a fair crack in the job.

He is without doubt a massive gamble but Penney and Talbot appeared to be the real deal at the time and both almost got us relegated. Appearing to get the right man for the job doesn't always work.

This guy, although hardly a household name, could turn out to be the real deal. He's obviously got something and I don't honestly think the board would purposely select a manager just because he's the cheapest option.

The thing that concerns me is the fact that at this stage of the proceedings we need to get as many fans onboard buying season tickets and contributing to a healthy playing budget, unfortunately an unproven manager such as Kelly is not going to do this. On the other hand I believe, a Dowie type would have got the whole place buzzing in anticipation for next season.

The next thing we will have to contend with no doubt will be another episode of Corney lambasting the Oldham public for not backing the team, but this is our club, and our passion, any lack of support at this stage would seriously effect our ability to compete in this division and could even lead to relegation.

I'm not sure that turning our backs on the club for whatever reason at this stage would be the

right thing to do.

For that reason, and that reason alone,......I'm in!!

Edited by oafc1955

Darren Kelly had not been in the Sunderland job 1 month when our managers vacancy came up.

Did he apply then?

He'd only just found the coffee machine, the copier and just about got is PC log in..

Assuming he applied.... and wasn't approached..... I don't like this either.

My main concern is that the club had about x3 months and maintained the quality of applicants that had applied was very high. How can someone with no experience in management / little experience in coaching be the best out of our greatest list of applicants? Then add the thought that the club has saved Manager & assistant manager wages for what will be nearly x4 months (not starting until June) and you start to see the real picture. It's all about cutting costs. No way was DK the best man out of this so called list. He's just the cheapest. That for me, spells out the plan for next season. How on Earth Dean Holden is able to stay on at the club?? He wasn't up to the job, football was poor on the eye. We haven't won for ages!! So angry and disillusioned right now!! :-(

I have given this subject some serious consideration over the last couple of days and whilst I'm not happy with the choice of manager I am prepared to give him a fair crack in the job.

He is without doubt a massive gamble but Penney and Talbot appeared to be the real deal at the time and both almost got us relegated. Appearing to get the right man for the job doesn't always work.

This guy, although hardly a household name, could turn out to be the real deal. He's obviously got something and I don't honestly think the board would purposely select a manager just because he's the cheapest option.

The thing that concerns me is the fact that at this stage of the proceedings we need to get as many fans onboard buying season tickets and contributing to a healthy playing budget, unfortunately an unproven manager such as Kelly is not going to do this. On the other hand I believe, a Dowie type would have got the whole place buzzing in anticipation for next season.

The next thing we will have to contend with no doubt will be another episode of Corney lambasting the Oldham public for not backing the team, but this is our club, and our passion, any lack of support at this stage would seriously effect our ability to compete in this division and could even lead to relegation.

I'm not sure that turning our backs on the club for whatever reason at this stage would be the

right thing to do.

Probably got the job in the hope we make 250k when the bright lights of Rotherham turn his head in a year.

I've no doubt Corney will justify the appointment, he's done all his badges and I reckon Corney reckons he's unearthed another gem. It doesn't make the appointment any less mental though.

Corney's a bright man and he knew how this would go down... That's what I can't get my head round.

right thing to do.

This is a very good post. All we can do is stand back and hope to hell it works. There are so many examples where it doesn't and precious few where it does. I don't have the decision to make about shelling out hard earned, I certainly don't envy those that do. It's such a shame that positivity has evaporated and a great start tot he season is all that will do. But even then, as with Johnson and his great start, that began to evaporate too.