Fans perception of the appointment of Darren Kelly

311 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of SC appointing Darren Kelly as Manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. How will this effect your attendance at BP during 2015/16 season?

• I will be still purchasing a season ticket/ will frequently Pay on the Day
    • I have a season ticket, but I will rarely use it/ seek refund
    • I will POTD for the odd significant game/cup games (home and away)
    • I will boycott OAFC indefinately
    • I will wait to see how DK and DH do after a number of games
    • I have bought my ST and this will have no impact on my attendance

The forum is of mixed emotion right now surrounding the upcoming appointment of Darren Kelly and Dean Holden as his number 2. I am not sure if any director, SC himself, or our fans representative etc. reads this forum, so I figured a poll to statistically show the fans perception of this is a much easier read if they do. The appointment (despite the fact I will support the guy and team having already bought my ST) is in my opinion disrespectful to every single one of us paying fans and this poll is an opportunity to show the fans perception based on the many users of this forum. Given the number of names thrown around, including Dowie effectively coming out and insisting he wants the job, the board and SC need to explain yet another "cheap as chips" decision.

OF THE 287 VOTES CAST as of May 6th 2015 (Post Official Appointment)

8.71% are in favour of SC appointing Darren Kelly as Manager

66.9% are NOT in favour of SC appointing Darren Kelly as Manager

24.39% are unsure on the matter

33.45% will still plan on purchasing a ST/ will frequently POTD

6.62% having already purchased a ST will rarely use it/ seek refund

23.34% will POTD for the odd significant game (incl. cup games) both home and away

5.92% will boycott OAFC indefinitely

8.36% will wait to see how DK and DH do after a number of games

22.30% whom have bought a ST/ normally POTD, will continue to attend with this matter having no effect.

Reminder that you can DELETE your VOTE(S) and then re submit your vote if you have a changed opinion/perspective on the managerial appointment. This can also be done for your position on whether you will be in attendance NEXT SEASON.

Edited by RoyleArmy1994

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not happy purely over the blokes career thus far and experience as a coach at any level close to our level. What I deduced thus far from social media regarding Kelly as an individual hasn't helped.

That said, I'll still support the club and attend games regardless of who's in charge...I'll just be bitter and angry when it all implodes with a regrettable "I told you so". I just see his appointment as another wasted opportunity to progress after last season. 100 candidates apparently and this is the result?! Appreciate the club cannot divulge other candidates but the club should invite fans to a discussion why he has been chosen and why others haven't...even if we have to sign an NDA. This appointment doesn't make sense whichever way you look at it and I can't find any positives

It really is the most expensive option and appears to me a massive false economy I'm amazed someone with Corney's business experience can't see.

Dowie, or similar, would sell at least 500 extra season tickets.

Kelly's appointment might well result in the sale of 500 fewer.

1000 x £350 = £350,000.

Pay a Dowie £100k, give him an extra £100k for players, bank £150k instead of paying Kelly £40k on top of the £350k we've just lost.

Am I missing something fundamental here or could Kelly be costing £390k & leaving us with a lower playing budget?

Edited by HarryBosch

Aside from the fact that this is a ludicrous appointment I am afraid I can't support a man who appears to be a supporter of Sinn Fein and Irish Republicanism

I don't wish to offend anyone but I am old enough to remember what they did

If his references on Twitter and his association with a Sinn Fein politician/Mayoress is real then I will not be spending a single pound at BP next season

I'd seriously question whether hiring Dowie would increase season ticket sales by ~20%. When tickets were a fiver the gate barely increased, thinking that many people are going to pay over £300 because of a bloke who did alright about a decade ago is, IMHO, misguided. The only thing that gets bums on seats is results.

It really is the most expensive option and appears to me a massive false economy I'm amazed someone with Corney's business experience can't see.

1000 x £350 = £350,000.

Pay a Dowie £100k, give him an extra £100k for players, bank £150k instead of paying Kelly £40k on top of the £350k we've just lost.

Am I missing something fundamental here or could Kelly be costing £390k & leaving us with a lower playing budget?

But how much is Kelly paying Corney?

Aside from the fact that this is a ludicrous appointment I am afraid I can't support a man who appears to be a supporter of Sinn Fein and Irish Republicanism

I don't wish to offend anyone but I am old enough to remember what they did

If his references on Twitter and his association with a Sinn Fein politician/Mayoress is real then I will not be spending a single pound at BP next season

He's entitled to his political beliefs and they're, arguably, understandable given a relative died at Bloody Sunday but he's a bit too "Facebook" in the way he broadcasts them for my liking.

Lot's of people hold strong beliefs but know there's a time and a place for them and that most people don't want to hear them at all.

It all adds to what someone said in another thread about having been told he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Not that that necessarily prevents him from being a good football manager - he's coaching footballer's, not teaching the classics.....

We've showed relegation form since December.

Not sure Darren Kelly has the experience needed to come in and turn things around, I question he has the contacts to bring in the signings we need to progress.

Although I respect his rights to his own political/religious and personal beliefs, I'm in camp no, for footballing reasons.

He's entitled to his political beliefs and they're, arguably, understandable given a relative died at Bloody Sunday but he's a bit too "Facebook" in the way he broadcasts them for my liking.

Lot's of people hold strong beliefs but know there's a time and a place for them and that most people don't want to hear them at all.

It all adds to what someone said in another thread about having been told he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Not that that necessarily prevents him from being a good football manager - he's coaching footballer's, not teaching the classics.....

I absolutely agree that people are entitled to their personal beliefs and opinions and that they should be able to express them freely.....Political discussion and compromise is the forum for that.....IRA/Sinn Fein don't believe that which is why they killed thousands of people in support of their particular beliefs.

It's a line crossed for me in that he could be using his profile as Latics Manager to broadcast his views to a wider audience. He should shut down his social media pages and keep his views on anything but football to himself

Apart from that, I also believe this appointment would be insane from a footballing point of view......I think Corney has now adopted the Mike Ashley approach