Death threat sent to Darren Kelly

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I am in no way condoning it, bloody mindless thing to do. Two things spring to mind.

I want to be clear, is it a threat from a recognised organisation or some keyboard warrior. Also, to be clear, there are some very unhinged people about, but there is a clear difference between some threats. It should be taken seriously until it can be proved one way or the other.

Why, do we repeatedly get ourselves into this position. Due Dilligence is found wanting. Again.

We used to be such a well liked club that I was proud to support.

Whilst I am in no way condoning it, bloody mindless thing to do. Two things spring to mind.

I want to be clear, is it a threat from a recognised organisation or some keyboard warrior. Also, to be clear, there are some very unhinged people about, but there is a clear difference between some threats. It should be taken seriously until it can be proved one way or the other.

Why, do we repeatedly get ourselves into this position. Due Dilligence is found wanting. Again.

We used to be such a well liked club that I was proud to support.

Bit difficult to operate due diligence on those who allowed themselves to get all giddy, worked up & develop a whole backstory about the initial tweet.

Bloody Nora.....my hubby is ex army, served his time in NI in the early 90's and although it wasn't the bloodiest time in the history he is prepared to forget anything prior to him joining OAFC.

Not unless he can prove as a boy DK was one of the little darlings that,as another serviceman has said elsewhere, use to spit at the army or trained their dogs to attack anything in camoflauge

If we are footy fans first, then we need to draw a line under this at some point, they managed it in NI and formed a government? I don't like Sinn Fein but it's done .

Again, a clanger on by the club for not checking social media and DK did lose an uncle on Bloody Sunday too.

I meet him at the awards, he's young, he says he is not political in anyway and I'm prepared to let the football do the talking.

Let's see how it goes first 10 games in.

I also know he's keen to meet the fans too and the club are working on this and it might be on POSSIBLY this Thursday, limited number of tickets if it's a goer as the new stand isn't open yet. Might be a case the club have to do these small meetings in the he intrim.

And if has been threatened, the authorities need to find the culprit and I truely hope it isn't a latics fan

Edited by underdog

Bit difficult to operate due diligence on those who allowed themselves to get all giddy, worked up & develop a whole backstory about the initial tweet.

Of course it is easy to anticiapte that. Especially as it was such a controversial choice even without the politics.

Anyone could see that his account needed a bit of "tidying up" at the very least.

All very avoidable to drag us unncessarily into to something.

His family is, understandably, very, very well known to McGuiness. he is not going to tweet everyTom, Dick or Harry.

Careless.

Perhaps people can stop making :censored: up now before this gets further out of hand? The man was a popular player at Portadown, a club who have quite a tradition of terrorists among the fan Base, but he's getting this at Oldham. It makes us look like a set of :censored: thick cavemen.

Set a few things straight:

1.) It was more than that one particular tweet that indicated Kelly was a Sinn Fein supporter, there were a lot of things on his Twitter feed that indicated it a lot more strongly, according to a friend of mine who is a York fan he had moments of anti-British behaviour, some of which upset York's rare right-wing element. We have a much stronger right-wing element than they do.

2.) Let's not forget that there were some very dangerous people on all the sides of the NI troubles, this death threat could easily come from one of them. The timing is a bit better of a fit too- his pro Sinn Fein tendencies were known on here a good 36/48 hours before Mike Keegan's article in a national paper, known to be very right wing, and the timing more corresponds to the article than the talk on here.

3.) If however, this has come from an Oldham fan, I hope the club imposes the strictest sanction it can against the individual(s) concerned on top of the full criminal justice system. If this has come from an Oldham fan(s) then they should never be able to watch our club live again.

4.) When he played for Portadown, he was a lot less likely to express his political views on Twitter, if he was even on Twitter back then? If they had appointed him now and they are as bad as some say then I would think the situation would be a lot worse. Presumably Portadown are (now) happy to play Catholics, but I can imagine him getting a few threats from elements of their fans without the medium of Twitter revealing his politics if they are that bad.

5.) This could even be from one of their fans, that would worry me, as the timing makes linking the death threats to disgruntled Oldham fans much easier, hiding the real location.That level of planning is not a good sign. (This is probably me watching one too many crime dramas).

6.) I hope whoever has done this gets caught asap, and then sentenced to an appropriate location.

Edited by rudemedic

I back Darren Kelly's right to interpret politics as he likes .

Does he represent a threat to peace, or the life of anybody? Of course he doesn't . Is he stirring up violence or hatred? No he isn't .

Wind it down everybody.

If kelly or the club had the sense to check or close his Twitter account before announcing his appointment all this would have been avoided - this should be done with all players and staff we have signed for the last few years as a matter of course - amateur hour at OAFC. Did LJ not claim to check players social media before signing them to find out what sort of character they were?

Having said that whoever made the threat is a grade A :censored: and should be punished. There is still to much hatred and to much actual violence ongoing in Ulster and it's inhabitants to ignore this threat as a crank call, the authorities need to treat it seriously until proven otherwise.