Death threat sent to Darren Kelly

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks this has come from a hardcore Loyalist group who are fuming about Oldham's new manager retweeting a picture of his mum with Deputy First Minster McGuinness needs to go and rinse their head under a cold tap. That's not to say it couldn't be dangerous though. I do hope no English groups try and use it as a bandwagon next season.

"Kelly said that he was not political and that the matter had been blown out of proportion."

...reports the Hate Mail with their second 'article' in a week.

Rummy - Let me be a bit clearer. The poster to whom I was replying said I was blocking people who disagreed with my opinion. When I responded that there was no opinion in the story, I meant from me.

Jorvik - I do not make the news, I report on it. I did not go looking on Darren Kelly's Twitter account but when I was made aware of what was on there and the reaction to it from some (by various people) I had no choice other than to do so.

PlayItLivo - I did not publish a piece on the political beliefs of any of our previous managers because I am pretty certain they kept them away from the public domain and had not referred to a high-profile political figure as a legend on social media.

I am an Oldham fan. I am also of Irish Catholic descent.

Neither of the above, however, has any impact on what is or what is not news and whether I should write a story or not. You will see that a series of other media outlets have followed up both pieces. That, to me, suggests it is newsworthy. And as for this 'right-wing Daily Mail' nonsense, I write sport stories, predominantly for our website. At no point has any pressure been put on me to take a certain angle.

Edited by OAFCMIKE

Rummy - Let me be a bit clearer. The poster to whom I was replying said I was blocking people who disagreed with my opinion. When I responded that there was no opinion in the story, I meant from me.

Jorvik - I do not make the news, I report on it. I did not go looking on Darren Kelly's Twitter account but when I was made aware of what was on there and the reaction to it from some (by various people) I had no choice other than to do so.

PlayItLivo - I did not publish a piece on the political beliefs of any of our previous managers because I am pretty certain they kept them away from the public domain and had not referred to a high-profile political figure as a legend on social media.

Neither of the above, however, has any impact on what is or what is not news and whether I should write a story or not. You will see that a series of other media outlets have followed up both pieces. That, to me, suggests it is newsworthy. And as for this 'right-wing Daily Mail' nonsense, I write sport stories, predominantly for our website. At no point has any pressure been put on me to take a certain angle.

Well said Mike.

There's always a reflex action to bash reporters.

Water of a ducks back is the best way to deal with it I'd say.

i was with you until the right wing Daily Mail nonsense bit. Then I just started laughing.

Not having that Singe. The bloke sent a tweet!

It's not just a tweet at all. In this day and age, a tweet can get you imprisoned and not a thing to take lightly. It can have an audience of millions. And calling McGuiness a legend was always asking for trouble.

My step mum is from Cork, so it is not an anti Irish angle, it is the potential to avoiding trouble. He is entitled to his views, I'd be amazed if he didn't want a United Ireland. But that can be handled well or badly.

My point, however, was that the Due Diligence has been found wanting, again, and we find ourselves dragged through the mud unnecesarily.

The tweet was posted in February, just around the time Johnson left.

Why did no-one pick it up, when it took fans about 5 minutes to spot it.

It is patently obvious that some would be offended by it. Moreso, as he was such an obvious controversial choice it was an easy stick to beat him.

It's careless.

Mercifully, It seems to be blowing over and hopefully we can concentrate on the football and the football will dispel any fears.

It's not just a tweet at all. In this day and age, a tweet can get you imprisoned and not a thing to take lightly.

Indeed so, but not likely in the case of an innocuous tweet referring to a legitimate politician!

Indeed so, but not likely in the case of an innocuous tweet referring to a legitimate politician!

It was hardly innocuous, it was referring to McGuiness pictured publicly with his mother 10 days after Blood sunday anniverary in which her brother was klilled. The family are VERY well known to McGuiness too.

And there are plenty that don't see him as legitiimate at all.

I am not saying I don't.

I am critical it was not picked up and sorted before announcing his appoitment, not his views.

There was no opinion within the piece.

There was Mike. Who the 'legend' reference was aimed at was inconclusive. I'm not naive enough to think that it wasn't referring to Martin McGuinness but it wasn't a certainty. In addition, you removed the 'so called Bogside Massacre' in a later draft. Personally, I felt it was a needless article.

There is a lot of shooting the messenger going on.

I am not aware anyone forced Kelly to make the posts or for management not to carry out a simple check of his social media postings.

Mike is a reporter - it's his job to find and write interesting articles for his customers.

Neither of the above, however, has any impact on what is or what is not news and whether I should write a story or not. You will see that a series of other media outlets have followed up both pieces. That, to me, suggests it is newsworthy. And as for this 'right-wing Daily Mail' nonsense, I write sport stories, predominantly for our website. At no point has any pressure been put on me to take a certain angle

Yet despite me asking hundreds* of times they refuse to report on the World Kabaddi League

*Never