Kelly said that's the system he wants to play

Is that two wing backs - if so, we will need a new right back - or two wingers and an incredibly attacking formation?

I don't know if that suits the current squad so maybe we'll be changing a few players about.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ball-playing centre back in the middle of the back 3 - Wilson or Dieng? Elokobi and somebody else either side of the 3.

Mills as a winger/wing back? Where does that leave Forte? Probably going to need a new right-wing back, or will we be using Poleon?

Winchester behind Murphy and/or Turner?

Jones and Kelly holding midfielders?

Possibility of Kelly being the CB in the middle of the three? Winchester and Jones ahead of him and allows him to either step up into midfield/defence depending on how the game is going? Dieng also suited to that role.

Mills can do the LWB/LM role - someone similar needed for right side. Move Philli up top with Poleon and bring someone in for the number 10 role?

That being based on the current squad and Forte being injured...

Winchester is going to be the number 10, surely. The centre midfield 3 have to be Kelly, Jones and Winchester.

But yeah, another centre back will be crucial, as will a right wing-back - if that's not Poleon - and a striker, plus probably a few bolsters to the squad.

That's not too ambitious you've got to say about the recruitment side. Transmitting and drilling his vision of this formation to the players will prove to be the biggest factor you'd have thought as to how successful we'll be.

Given we've just taken the option of a further year on Forte, I'm interested to see how he would fit into a 3-4-1-2. He's shown this season that he's better of the left rather than up top, but he's in no way, shape or form a wing back. Unless we've just taken the option so we can perhaps get a nominal fee for him, but that makes little sense to me considering no club will want to take a risk on someone with the knees he has, for a significant enough fee to warrant us paying him the wages until that day was to arrive.

I don't want Lockwood in the starting line up, and I still have reservations on Elokobi. Dieng, I suppose, is a ball playing option from the back, but I imagine Wilson would get the nod over him for that position.

Joel Coleman

New Signing - James Wilson - George Elokobi

New Signing - Liam Kelly - Mike Jones - Joseph Mills

Carl Winchester

Dominic Poleon - Rhys Turner

I know we have Forte as a forward option, but I think we're short of a genuine striker and wouldn't be at all confident that a Poleon/Turner partnership could muster 30+ goals between them, despite their upturn in form in the latter parts of this season.

Brown has been offered a new contract, but IMO he's not good enough to be a RWB/RM - he's tidy enough defensively, but fairly average going forward. A bit like Brian Wilson, who I feel may be a benchwarmer next season if we do stick with this 3-4-1-2.

Think we need a CB (possibly 2), RWB (or defensively capable RM), another CM (or if we can find that elusive #10, then Winiesta can play in CM too) and at least 1 striker of genuine quality, however hard that is to find.

Should be an interesting summer...

Edited by sjk2008

Think Brown could do a job at RWB, he likes getting forward and is often caught out in defence, so pushing him a bit further up might work. He'd be a decent back up if Kelly wanted to get a new player in.

Is Brian Wilson here for another year?

Ive seen a lot of people say connor brown is decent defensively and poor going forward, i disagree and think the opposite, i actually think hes very good going forward, a bit of an headless chicken perhaps but i enjoy watching him attack, granted hes not our best player but i love his optimism and for a little guy he aint no pushover.

God we really need some strikers.

If this formation includes wing-backs rather than wingers we may have a surplus of strikers. If he sees Forte and Poleon as forwards (which they're not), as well as Turner, Murphy and Bove then that's plenty.

Although, I would say that is a very one-dimensional strikeforce. No big target man, which should be a priority. Murphy will be miles better than what we've seen so far and Turner has already shown some quality too so I wouldn't be too worried if they were the starting two. Both very injury prone though.

Edited by NewBlue

I don't think we'll be giving the wide players as much defensive responsibility as people seem to think, especially at home.

It'll be more about the defenders sliding across, plus Liam Kelly coming back to help out.