I don't think we'll be giving the wide players as much defensive responsibility as people seem to think, especially at home.

It'll be more about the defenders sliding across, plus Liam Kelly coming back to help out.

About right, the three at the back need to be quick and mobile to cover the flanks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to the pub on the way home......am really reading people suggest Dominic Poleon as a Wing Back?

It may sound mad but hear us out...

The defensive side of the game, from what I've seen of Poleon, isn't too bad. He's very hard working, has that aggression a defender needs and has pulled off some good tracking back and tackling. Positionally I doubt he'd need to be that disciplined as the emphasis is about going forwards too.

Now I'm not saying it would definitely work, or that it's the best use of his talents, but I have a feeling he would make a half decent wing back given a bit of coaching.

Just look how we played against Swindon to show this formation doesn't work in L1.......Do we have a Nathan Byrne, Gladwin, Luongo?.......not being pessimistic and would love to be proved wrong but just think back to the awful run Swindon went on when teams learnt to press them higher up the pitch

With the current squad i would go with

Coleman

Dieng elokobi wilson

Poleon Jones Kelly forte

Winchester

Turner philli

Away games change Poleon for wilson and forte for mills

haha mills on the bench, give over

I've been to the pub on the way home......am really reading people suggest Dominic Poleon as a Wing Back?

I know, it is mad but Jeffrey Schlupp who has in the past been a striker or winger is currently playing Left Wing Back for Leicester, loving the role and actually playing it very well... and in my eyes he's in the past been a bit of a headless chicken and reminds me of a more capable poleon.

I've not seen three at the back work for any club. Look at United earlier on in the season

Bristol City, Swindon and Preston have all used it numerous times this season.

Mills would fit the bill for the left sided role, maybe Brown or even Winiesta if he can do a similar role to Swindon's Byrne, cutting inside from that position. Not so convinced by Brian Wilson.

Bristol City, Swindon and Preston have all used it numerous times this season.

Mills would fit the bill for the left sided role, maybe Brown or even Winiesta if he can do a similar role to Swindon's Byrne, cutting inside from that position. Not so convinced by Brian Wilson.

a Wilson gets to the by line more than any of the above. Granted he could improve on what happens next...

Who were the last team to play attractive football and get out of this division on a budget as small as ours?

I agree that Kelly will probably try something different it will work for first 6-8 games but we won't be able to afford a squad which has plans b and c to go with it when we get Sussed out...

Our budget allows for just enough players to play one system...as ugly as it is I would rather that be 11 6 foot + brutes that are solid playing 4-4-2... We haven't the budget to be clever and I think a simple solid approach might fair better and more consistent

He'll do this for 5 games, find it doesn't work as the players aren't good enough then it will be abandoned as we go back to 4,4, :censored:ing 2.

Either way he should be flexable

But a 4-4-2 is still way better than just playing one up front.

Happy to let DK try whatever he thinks best. He's a professional football coach. I am most certainly not.

My worry is that classroom coaches over intellectualize and therefore over complicate the game for 3rd division footballers. If international and premier league players have trouble with 3 at back, 1 in the hole, diamonds, ruby's or sapphires, how on earth can we expect our lot to get it.

Take Connor Brown as a prime example. The boy try's his little heart out every time he plays. I like him. He's not a gifted footballer. He can't cross, can't pass a ball more than 10 yards and if his twitter feed is anything to go by isn't about to become a member of MENSA anytime soon. But.... he's a reasonable right back for a team in the 3rd division. Ask him to play wing back in a 3-4-1-2, 4,2-3,1 and I fear it's too much for him to deal with.

Under dowie we had Armstrong and Fitz either side of the other central defender and both were suited to cover the flanks as well as have the mobility / intelligence to not leave gaps centrally . I don't think we currently have the personnel to pull it off .

Under dowie we had Armstrong and Fitz either side of the other central defender and both were suited to cover the flanks as well as have the mobility / intelligence to not leave gaps centrally . I don't think we currently have the personnel to pull it off .

Not sure about that, Dieng, Mills and Wilson obvious wider centre back options, Winchester right midfield, Jones/Philliskirk in the advanced position.

Question marks would be Coleman's dlstribution, lack of central midfielders and quality of forward options.