Did anyone find it weird/silly/stupid that Kelly revealed his tactics on BBC Radio months before the season began?

Had he kept the formation a secret surely it would've surprised and confused the first few managers we faced in the new season. Now they know what to prepare for rather than us catching them off-guard.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the opposition need to do is get a player with pace and instruct him when they are in possession to hug the touchline around the halfway line, every other player is issued with the instruction to launch it for him to run on to whilst one of their strikers makes a direct run from the centre spot to the penalty spot. Our defence won't know which one to pick up, go for the ball or watch the man in the middle? The midfielder on the flank will have to drop deeper to counter this meaning we have lost width and have to attack through the middle where they have strength in numbers.

We'll be 442/451 by October as Kelly flinches when early performances and results don't go to plan.

Or 7-3-0 when we concede early on...

All the opposition need to do is get a player with pace and instruct him when they are in possession to hug the touchline around the halfway line, every other player is issued with the instruction to launch it for him to run on to whilst one of their strikers makes a direct run from the centre spot to the penalty spot. Our defence won't know which one to pick up, go for the ball or watch the man in the middle? The midfielder on the flank will have to drop deeper to counter this meaning we have lost width and have to attack through the middle where they have strength in numbers.

We'll be 442/451 by October as Kelly flinches when early performances and results don't go to plan.

That's why 2 of the 3 need to be capable full backs. The other risk is that they are simply wasted if another team play 1 up front. It can work but it needs intelligent players to do the job.

(Just realised I've been wondering if young Connor could play the position).

Did anyone find it weird/silly/stupid that Kelly revealed his tactics on BBC Radio months before the season began?

Had he kept the formation a secret surely it would've surprised and confused the first few managers we faced in the new season. Now they know what to prepare for rather than us catching them off-guard.

In my experience too much is made of formations and tactics, check out the possesion stats of most games, the side with the least possesion usually wins, too much tip tapping about getting nowhere has been a major problem in the past and Im sure the new manager will have picked up on this.

In my experience too much is made of formations and tactics, check out the possesion stats of most games, the side with the least possesion usually wins, too much tip tapping about getting nowhere has been a major problem in the past and Im sure the new manager will have picked up on this.

Barcelona are getting it wrong, too much possession...

Barcelona are getting it wrong, too much possession...

You know very well they and other top class teams are an exception, Latics players can't usually string a couple of passes together.

Of course it follows you have to argue the opposite to me.

Edited by BP1960

You know very well they and other top class teams are an exception, Latics players can't usually string a couple of passes together.

Of course it follows you have to argue the opposite to me.

"The side with the least possession usually wins"

Just complete nonsense.

A bit of homework

Top 6 in the Premier League also the top 6 for possession, 5/6 Serie A, 5/7 Bundesliga, 4/6 France, 6/8 Championship.

You havent been listening, those are top teams where players have the ability to keep possession and score goals.

You havent been listening, those are top teams where players have the ability to keep possession and score goals.

No public stats for L1 and 2 but would be amazed if Bristol, MK Dons, Swindon weren't at the top.

What are you basing your ludicrous opinion on?

No public stats for L1 and 2 but would be amazed if Bristol, MK Dons, Swindon weren't at the top.

What are you basing your ludicrous opinion on?

Check out any past weeks BBC match reports and tot up a full league programme. I said I wouldn't react to your replies as you appear to have an agenda with me, I must reprimand myself.

Check out any past weeks BBC match reports and tot up a full league programme. I said I wouldn't react to your replies as you appear to have an agenda with me, I must reprimand myself.

I've given you five leagues which all show your theory to be wrong, no reason to think lower leagues won't be the same.

Teams will win some games by having less of the ball, it won't happen most of the time though.

Who were the last team to play attractive football and get out of this division on a budget as small as ours?

I agree that Kelly will probably try something different it will work for first 6-8 games but we won't be able to afford a squad which has plans b and c to go with it when we get Sussed out...

Our budget allows for just enough players to play one system...as ugly as it is I would rather that be 11 6 foot + brutes that are solid playing 4-4-2... We haven't the budget to be clever and I think a simple solid approach might fair better and more consistent

Surely clubs with a supposedly smaller budget have to try and be clever in order to compete?

• 3 weeks later...

This 3-4-1-2 story doesn't abate does it.....

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/92243/boss-ponders-system-suited-to-his-speed-aces.

....as per my earlier post in this thread, DK is a highly qualified football coach and I'm sure therefore he's much better placed than I to make these decisions. SC has had 10 years of employing managers and so I hope he's knows what he's doing. I am however getting a bit worried with over intellectualizing [for 3rd tier footballers] classroom-coach talk in the media. I hope Jim Harvey's experience helps..... although he lacks that experience in the league!

It looks like at least 3 of the teams who've come up, Burton, Shrewsbury and Bury are going to be well equipped to stay up or do better..... some of those who struggled last year [scunthorpe] you would expect to be more competitive this time around.... and the likes of Sheff United with Adkins will do what Bristol City did this year.

Couple this with constant media links to what seems like only York City or Northern Irish players..... and I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable.

I'd consider myself an optimist.... and I'm blue to the core.... but I'll be honest.... if either the likes of Liam Kelly, James Wilson or Carl Winchester gets sold without any incoming players.... I'll be starting to panic!

Please tell me I'm just having a bad day and everything will be fine.

Edited by lookersstandandy