Frank Sinclair

Sorry if already mentioned...

It seems Frank Sinclair ex Chelsea is now coaching our academy.

Looking fwd to a rest & sinking my teeth into my new role @OAFCAcademy next season, can't wait, big responsibilities. All will be revealed.

Edited by palmer1

Also, we've had a lot of talk of too many players going, or thinking they can go, straight into management as if that's a bad thing.

On the other side of that coin - can a well respected player's stock as a potential manager fall by first gaining experience managing or coaching someone like Colwyn Bay in Sinclair's case or kids in Kelly's case (yes, I know he wasn't a well respected player)?

If I was an agent and my retiring player wanted to manage I'd be telling him to steer well clear of being associated with a low level job at a low level club, or anything below first team level.

Go and "unofficially" help out somewhere to practice your ideas but be careful that doesn't suddenly become your level in the eyes of club owners and/or fans.

Frank Sinclair as manager the day after he hung his boots up would've been greeted positively by most.

Frank Sinclair after 5 years of pissing about in non league wouldn't

Edited by HarryBosch

He's been there for months, working with the u12s though he took the u14s in a game last night. I think media commitments and still turning out in non-league mean that he still misses the odd game/ session.

I'd argue the opposite here Harry. I think players are better served coaching across many levels, getting hours under their belt and learning how to develop players before being unleashed into first team football.

He's been there for months, working with the u12s though he took the u14s in a game last night. I think media commitments and still turning out in non-league mean that he still misses the odd game/ session.

I'd argue the opposite here Harry. I think players are better served coaching across many levels, getting hours under their belt and learning how to develop players before being unleashed into first team football.

Even if you're right do you see what I'm saying about a top player like Sinclair? If he's the management type he could have got a very good job as soon as he retired. Five years on, he'll find it harder I imagine.

Hasslebaink is another example and adds another facet to my theory - despite his instant success he might now need further success in one or more "bigger" jobs than Burton before he can get himself a "top" job.

Even if he's the real deal it's highly likely he'll fail in one for them for reasons beyond his control and that will be that.

You could even take it so far as to ask whether if we're providing an environment for first time managers to "do well" (Corney's words not mine) wouldn't that also be an ideal environment for previously successful, proven managers like, eg, Danny Wilson to rekindle their careers after failing whilst managing basket cases like Sheff Utd or Barnsley?

Edited by HarryBosch

Also, we've had a lot of talk of too many players going, or thinking they can go, straight into management as if that's a bad thing.

On the other side of that coin - can a well respected player's stock as a potential manager fall by first gaining experience managing or coaching someone like Colwyn Bay in Sinclair's case or kids in Kelly's case (yes, I know he wasn't a well respected player)?

If I was an agent and my retiring player wanted to manage I'd be telling him to steer well clear of being associated with a low level job at a low level club, or anything below first team level.

Go and "unofficially" help out somewhere to practice your ideas but be careful that doesn't suddenly become your level in the eyes of club owners and/or fans.

Frank Sinclair as manager the day after he hung his boots up would've been greeted positively by most.

Frank Sinclair after 5 years of pissing about in non league wouldn't

Agree, we are in an era when everyone has an opinion, everything is judged on results, the talk is always of moving to a 'higher level'.

You could play 10 years in the Championship now and retire a millionaire, 10 years ago you'd have said Carragher would have been a nailed on manager, now they don't need to.

Brentford and Southampton are setting the template, stats boys making the signings, coaches with all the badges doing the training and tactics.

Even if you're right do you see what I'm saying about a top player like Sinclair? If he's the management type he could have got a very good job as soon as he retired. Five years on, he'll find it harder I imagine.

Hasslebaink is another example and adds another facet to my theory - despite his instant success he might now need further success in one or more "bigger" jobs than Burton before he can get himself a "top" job.

Even if he's the real deal it's highly likely he'll fail in one for them for reasons beyond his control and that will be that.

You could even take it so far as to ask whether if we're providing an environment for first time managers to "do well" (Corney's words not mine) wouldn't that also be an ideal environment for previously successful, proven managers like, eg, Danny Wilson to rekindle their careers after failing whilst managing basket cases like Sheff Utd or Barnsley?

Whilst I see what you are saying, and in theory it would work, I think that the reality is the managers wage is included in the players budget notionally.

So, whilst I don't agree about managers having to pay to work with us, if we do have a higher managers budget, we automatically have a lower playing budget. Hence the need to stick to the tried and trusted rookie manager route.

Edited by singe

Whilst I see what you are saying, and in theory it would work, I think that the reality is the managers wage is included in the players budget notionally.

So, whilst I don't agree about managers having to pay to work with us, if we do have a higher managers budget, we automatically have a lower playing budget. Hence the need to stick to the tried and trusted rookie manager route.

I was with you till the tried and trusted bit, we've had successive managers who have nearly taken us down and generally flirted with relegation for 5 or 6 years, is that our benchmark for success now ? I fully understand the cheap and cheerful option but at some stage Simons luck in appointing these novices may run out.

That seems to assume that we are not a basket case

I was with you till the tried and trusted bit, we've had successive managers who have nearly taken us down and generally flirted with relegation for 5 or 6 years, is that our benchmark for success now ? I fully understand the cheap and cheerful option but at some stage Simons luck in appointing these novices may run out.

I didn't say I thought it was tried and trusted!

I agree, it could spectacularly backfire.

I just hope that if it isn't working, then there is time to bale out.

Edited by singe

Brentford and Southampton are setting the template, stats boys making the signings, coaches with all the badges doing the training and tactics.

We're following the same path which has worked so well for them (with good resources).

We're following the same path which has worked so well for them (with good resources).

I think it will happen more and more, big name manager is no guarantee of 'success', every penny counts for a lot of clubs and they want full value for it.

• 7 months later...

Got the manager's job at Hednesford Town in the Conference North. Good luck to him.....

Last day at @OAFCAcademy 2639.pngparents evening been a real pleasure and great learning curve for me, top coaches great environment & great kids

Edited by lookersstandandy