Steven Gerrard

Mostly penalties, which he got to keep on taking even though he's not that good at them. Because he's Stevie G, the legend.

So "most" of his 185 are penalties but "he's not any good at them". Cant work out if you are intentionally trying to appear stupid or you are a WUM?

I think your 2nd (perhaps 1st) team play tomorrow afternoon.... make sure you tune in. bu bye now.

By the way. 47 are penalties, thats 25%... maths not your strong point? it would need 51% to represent "most". Dont mention it.

Edited by kowenicki

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So "most" of his 185 are penalties but "he's not any good at them". Cant work out if you are intentionally trying to appear stupid or you are a WUM?

I think your 2nd (perhaps 1st) team play tomorrow afternoon.... make sure you tune in. bu bye now.

By the way. 47 are penalties, thats 25%... maths not your strong point? it would need 51% to represent "most". Dont mention it.

Although it is fair to say he's not that good at them. Only a smidge over 70% success rate; fair to expect better than that

You're getting a bit emotional here kowenicki! Gerrard was a very good player but he's no Scholes. It was very telling that a lot of United's problems started as son as he retired and prior to his comeback. Let's not forget that united were still sweeping up silverware and titles for fun at this point and scholars aside from Ronaldo was probably the most important part of that. Despite Liverpool spending big and bringing in world class players have failed to get anywhere near United's success. Liverpool will have to spend to replace him but I actually think it could be a blessing in disguise. Whereas you could put scholes in any team and he'd make it tick, I think Gerard has always needed the team put around him. Zidane thinks scholes was the best midfielder he ever played against, I would tend to agree with the most intelligent and complete midfielder of the last good knows how many years.

Good player but very overrated. He hasn't got a patch on scholes

I've always said he was overrated, great player but not as good as the media hype would suggest. Went missing in too many big games, particularly for England. It's a shame he's had an absolute shocker in his final game at Anfield this evening too.

You're getting a bit emotional here kowenicki! Gerrard was a very good player but he's no Scholes. It was very telling that a lot of United's problems started as son as he retired and prior to his comeback. Let's not forget that united were still sweeping up silverware and titles for fun at this point and scholars aside from Ronaldo was probably the most important part of that. Despite Liverpool spending big and bringing in world class players have failed to get anywhere near United's success. Liverpool will have to spend to replace him but I actually think it could be a blessing in disguise. Whereas you could put scholes in any team and he'd make it tick, I think Gerard has always needed the team put around him. Zidane thinks scholes was the best midfielder he ever played against, I would tend to agree with the most intelligent and complete midfielder of the last good knows how many years.

Zidane says a lot of things... for instance:

"I have said in the past that at his peak he was the best in the world

I think it was the summer of 2004 I was having a conversation with Florentino (Perez) and I told him I wanted him to partner me in midfield for Madrid.

I know the club tried twice but he wouldn’t leave Liverpool. Not many players turn down Real Madrid but I think that tells you a lot about the loyalty of the man"

Zidane says a lot of things... for instance:

"I have said in the past that at his peak he was the best in the world

I think it was the summer of 2004 I was having a conversation with Florentino (Perez) and I told him I wanted him to partner me in midfield for Madrid.

I know the club tried twice but he wouldnt leave Liverpool. Not many players turn down Real Madrid but I think that tells you a lot about the loyalty of the man"

Zidane needed a water carrier since Beckham wasn't up to replacing Makelele

think its hilarious the amount of our supporters who are churlishly critisisng a player who has done more and won more than any of our players in the last 17 years now remind me what division we have been in for ALL that time !

laughable

think its hilarious the amount of our supporters who are churlishly critisisng a player who has done more and won more than any of our players in the last 17 years now remind me what division we have been in for ALL that time !

laughable

Who's criticising him though? He's been a good player. I can't see why half of the football coverage has to be about him though. Let Liverpool get emotional and the rest of the country can look at relegation struggles and the like that actually matter a :censored:

laughable

Who's compared him to any of our players?

I am neither his biggest fan not his fiercest critic and can see both sides of the argument.

Any player who carries the torch for his club through some of the darker times that they have had deserves respect however.

A player who has unarguably provided some truly great moments for his team. His greatness as a player is impossible to definitively argue either way!!

At their best Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes could have played in any team in the world.

I still can't believe England didn't at least reach the Euro 2004 final when you look at that squad and how many were at the peak of their powers.

Nah, only Scholes of them could have played with the Barcelona/Spain teams.

No he couldn't. Good player but not fit to lace the boots of Xavi and Iniesta at their best.

Exactly, none of the so called "Golden Generation" (who did :censored: all) were best in the world in their position.

Possibly not even top 3 if I could be arsed to really think about it.

Michael Owen in his prime was probably closest. If only Real Madrid had played him more regularly.....

Edited by HarryBosch

No he couldn't. Good player but not fit to lace the boots of Xavi and Iniesta at their best.

Xavi himself would disagree with you there. Scholes was an unbelievable player and yet his retirement (both times) didn't attract half the fuss Gerrard's transfer has, in spite of the fact he achieved far more in his career and, for my money, was a far superior player.

Don't get me wrong, Gerrard's a classy player, although his powers are certainly waning, but all the talk of him being a one-off on the basis of his loyalty and the one-club-man annoys me. As of next season he won't be a one-club-man. And we've just seen Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Jamie Carragher retire without half as much attention surrounding them.

Xavi himself would disagree with you there. Scholes was an unbelievable player and yet his retirement (both times) didn't attract half the fuss Gerrard's transfer has, in spite of the fact he achieved far more in his career and, for my money, was a far superior player.

Don't get me wrong, Gerrard's a classy player, although his powers are certainly waning, but all the talk of him being a one-off on the basis of his loyalty and the one-club-man annoys me. As of next season he won't be a one-club-man. And we've just seen Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Jamie Carragher retire without half as much attention surrounding them.

He might well disagree with me, but thats only because he's being modest. Zinedine Zidane called Scholes the best midfielder in the world. But he wasn't, because Zidane was miles better. He was just being modest.

Gerrard leaving Liverpool has caused such a fuss because Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and a lot of their fans rate him as their greatest player ever. If Ryan Giggs announced he was leaving United, it would have caused similar fuss, because he's possibly their greatest ever player. But he never did announce it (because he's never left them).

Personally, I think the whole thing in the media in general has gone way OTT. He's been a quality player, let Liverpool fans honour him in any way they want (and no one can tell them they are wrong for thinking like they do about him.) I don't think the rest of us need it plastered all over the telly and every football website you go on though.

He was an unbelievable player, Scholes scored bags of goals too, topped 20 in one season and got double figures loads of times. Let's face it - Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Scholes, all great players and not much separates them. Gerrard however was like many others, he was good but he wasn't the cut above.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2362047/Gerrard-walks-out-on-furious-Liverpool.html