Steven Gerrard

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Gerrard had signed for Chelsea or played for United in team that dominated and won leagues what would people views be? I think he would have been viewed as 'next level'

As great a player as Scholes was, would he have looked as good in a Liverpool side instead of Gerrard that nearly always failed. obviously we will never know but its doubtfull right?

If Gerrard had signed for Chelsea or played for United in team that dominated and won leagues what would people views be? I think he would have been viewed as 'next level'

As great a player as Scholes was, would he have looked as good in a Liverpool side instead of Gerrard that nearly always failed. obviously we will never know but its doubtfull right?

On a similar theme - was Le Tissier a better player than both of them?

If Gerrard has signed for them he'd have had to play where he was told instead of where he fancied. He's been part of the problem at Liverpool for all the heroic headlines.

HurrjOo.jpg

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player I've just never quite seen him in the same bracket that so many people put him in.

Was he even the best player in his United teams that often?

How much is our perception of all of them - Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard etc... - influenced by Sky's propaganda machine?

A simple gauge that can be used for these last 20 years or so is - did Real Madrid ever come seriously knocking?

Edited by HarryBosch

On a similar theme - was Le Tissier a better player than both of them?

Not for me...

scorer of great goals rather than a great player. Didnt play in Europe or make a mark at international level

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player I've just never quite seen him in the same bracket that so many people put him in.

Was he even the best player in his United teams that often?

How much is our perception of all of them - Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard etc... - influenced by Sky's propaganda machine?

A simple gauge that can be used for these last 20 years or so is - did Real Madrid ever come seriously knocking?

i dont think they are.....real madrid have won 1 championship in 7 years.....chopping and changing the staff....going all in for the player they want....it doesnt make for a consistent winning side....paul scholes would have turned them down...plus he gets sunburned with fireworks

Madrid bought Beckham to sell shirts in the Far East to compliment Zidane (Arab/Muslim market), Carlos (South America) and so on. Scholes is too ugly and unglamorous for them. Gerrard would have been a brilliant signing for them as an athletic midfielder covering and driving from deep. He'd have been great doing that for Liverpool too though.

He was an unbelievable player, Scholes scored bags of goals too, topped 20 in one season and got double figures loads of times. Let's face it - Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Scholes, all great players and not much separates them. Gerrard however was like many others, he was good but he wasn't the cut above.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2362047/Gerrard-walks-out-on-furious-Liverpool.html

Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard - there is pretty much nothing that separates them. Great English midfielders, but not greats who can do it at club and international level. Scholes a better passer of the ball, Gerrard and Lampard both much better goalscorers (Lampard especially). Gerrard a bit more all action, Scholes more of a dirty cynical b*stard who managed to get away with it quite well. But if you swapped any of those 3 about, the fortunes of their respective clubs would not have changed at all I don't think. If Gerrard played for United and Scholes for Liverpool, United wouldn't have been any less successful.

But the 3 of them, they are nowhere near as good midfielders as Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, and especially Zidane. And they managed to do a good job of showing that whenever they pulled on an England shirt. As soon as they were out of their comfort zone of having top quality players at their clubs around them, they couldn't perform. Unlike Xavi. Unlike Iniesta. Unlike Pirlo. Unlike Zidane.

Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard - there is pretty much nothing that separates them. Great English midfielders, but not greats who can do it at club and international level. Scholes a better passer of the ball, Gerrard and Lampard both much better goalscorers (Lampard especially). Gerrard a bit more all action, Scholes more of a dirty cynical b*stard who managed to get away with it quite well. But if you swapped any of those 3 about, the fortunes of their respective clubs would not have changed at all I don't think. If Gerrard played for United and Scholes for Liverpool, United wouldn't have been any less successful.

But the 3 of them, they are nowhere near as good midfielders as Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, and especially Zidane. And they managed to do a good job of showing that whenever they pulled on an England shirt. As soon as they were out of their comfort zone of having top quality players at their clubs around them, they couldn't perform. Unlike Xavi. Unlike Iniesta. Unlike Pirlo. Unlike Zidane.

There's a lot of sense in what you say there. It's worth pointing out though that we've never seen Xavi or Iniesta out of their comfort zone in a sub-par team. They've both always had the same class players around them.

Madrid bought Beckham to sell shirts in the Far East to compliment Zidane (Arab/Muslim market), Carlos (South America) and so on. Scholes is too ugly and unglamorous for them. Gerrard would have been a brilliant signing for them as an athletic midfielder covering and driving from deep. He'd have been great doing that for Liverpool too though.

They spent 30 million on Modric, he aint no Paul scholes and probably uglier. They love him.

...Gerrard and Lampard both much better goalscorers (Lampard especially)...

There's not actually much in it.

According to Soccerbase, taking league appearances:

Gerrard - 119 in 502 appearances (0.23)

Lampard - 177 in 617 appearances (0.28)

Scholes 107 in 500 appearances (0.21)

And I'm invoking Pawel's law - :censored:loads of Lampard's and Gerrard's were penalties.

There's a lot of sense in what you say there. It's worth pointing out though that we've never seen Xavi or Iniesta out of their comfort zone in a sub-par team. They've both always had the same class players around them.

Yep, Xavi never played beside David Batty. Gerrard at his peak and obeying orders would have fitted well into the current German side for example, but only Scholes could have played the tight receiving and passing game in Spain.

Zidane I think is a different argument as he might just be the best ever.

And against them in top European, League & World Cup games, and performed admirably for the most part.

Zidane too & Figo, Ronaldo (both), Messi etc..

Iconic performances.

The only iconic performance I can think of from an England/English player in the last 20 years was Beckham v Greece.

Gerrard did well in the 5-1 qualifier against Germany and the European Cup Final against Milan (for the second half once Hamman was on).

Lampard's goal record, whilst phenomenal, mainly came via being a flat track bully (Pawel's Law, section 2.8 :grin:) against Premier League teams just seeing out a season until their parachute payments started... I don't recall him taking a single important top, top game by the scruff of the neck.

Scholes I can't really comment on as I've usually switched United off over the years once they've gone ahead.

And all three largely underperformed for their country.

I wonder what your reasonable Liverpool fan would say if you asked them whether Istanbul was worth 10 years of damaging selfishness and egotism.

The Dietmar Hamann final? Won by the half time revelation that having a midfielder do something about the opposition walking over you in the middle might be a good idea.

I wonder what your reasonable Liverpool fan would say if you asked them whether Istanbul was worth 10 years of damaging selfishness and egotism.

reasonable liverpool fan? thats got to be an oxymoron