jermaine beckford shirt gate

What does it have to do with anybody? All too easy to post a picture on facebook with some bollocks caption and every :censored: in the world believes it and reposts it.... Its on a par with all those "likes" that are apparently needed to eradicate cancer and third world hunger

Edited by JWhite101

But the M.E.N. understands she knows the young boy and his family and plans to speak to them to clear the air when she returns from London tomorrow.

She said: “People have made me out to be an absolute idiot. I will be speaking to the family, I actually know them, they’re friends.”

Some of the boy’s family have waded in to the argument, slamming Ms Timbrell for appearing to take the shirt. But she insists she knows them well and will be meeting with them to speak about the incident seen by millions.

She also told the M.E.N's sister paper the Mirror: "My side of the story will soon come out."

Tell you what love, you could have avoided having a "..side of the story.." by not ripping the shirt out of a kid's hands. At best you were looking after it for safe keeping but that could have been achieved a lot easier than the footage shows.

Very true. I've recently read Jon Ronson's book "So you've been publicly shamed" which deals with similar issues and how these social media witch hunts can destroy lives.

some poor bloke was called a pedophile and had his picture shared all over the net when all he did was take a selfie with Darth vader for HIS kids. This social media vigilantism can and does ruin lives and just gets treated as a "minor misunderstanding"

why was the shirt posted on gumtree before being taken down? it was taken from the boy and posted online for sale for 1500 quid wasnt it?

whats the misunderstanding? that she was seen by millions doing it and the gumtree account linked back to her

social media can ruin lives I agree but you have much less chance of it happening to you if behave yourself and dont steal from kids for your own benfit

Edited by palmer1

In general though there is no smoke without fire and there are exceptions like the one you mention, there is a massive difference between taking a selfie and taking a shirt out of kid's hands.

However, it isn't social media that instigates the kerfuffle, it is the person's actions. If you think you are about to do something dumb that if it was to be captured and beamed around the world potentially causing major embarrassment or potentially more serious implications then it would probably be a good time to follow the old maxim of "Think before you act". Or "look before you leap" or even remembering "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" or finally a more modern one, "Don't be a dick". It really is quite simple.

In general though there is no smoke without fire and there are exceptions like the one you mention, there is a massive difference between taking a selfie and taking a shirt out of kid's hands.

However, it isn't social media that instigates the kerfuffle, it is the person's actions. If you think you are about to do something dumb that if it was to be captured and beamed around the world potentially causing major embarrassment or potentially more serious implications then it would probably be a good time to follow the old maxim of "Think before you act". Or "look before you leap" or even remembering "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" or finally a more modern one, "Don't be a dick". It really is quite simple.

Anyones actions, if in the wrong are for the police to deal with - who have stated that this farce hasn't even been reported to them. People who think they are the moral compass of Facebook are also "Dicks" to be quite frank, and I'm afraid it is far more than an "exeption" where people are wrongly targeted or wrongly accused, or the whole incident is made to look like something it isn't based on this kind of action. I deal with it all too often in my job so I do have a level of experience to draw from. people should stick to posting pics of their tea and their pets on social media, there was a picture of a Buckingham Palace soldier pointing his rifle at a black man who "abused a police officer" doing the rounds at one point. This was also bollocks as such a thing would have made international news and said soldier would have been arrested and sacked, my point here is that a high volume of people shared it lauding the soldier as a hero, people, a large number of people believe what they see on the internet based on that, and that alone and that leads to others coming to harm. If she has done something wrong I agree it's out of order but that should be for the police to decide and not trial by social media. As a side note, a lot cases have been thrown out of court due to all the "social media" investigations people carry out on their own as it can prevent the defendant being handed a fair trial.

Source: Work in the justice system

Edited by JWhite101

why was the shirt posted on gumtree before being taken down? it was taken from the boy and posted online for sale for 1500 quid wasnt it?

whats the misunderstanding? that she was seen by millions doing it and the gumtree account linked back to her

This is the problem. You've mentioned a posting on a Gumtree account that was linked back to her as if that was indisputable. This claim has been made all over various forms if social media as if it was and yet it is bull:censored:.

The posting actually appeared whilst the game was still being played on an unconnected account. They were all obviously down there for the schools match involving the Oldham team from South Failsworth and I'd be pretty sure that they all do, indeed, know each other. The abuse posted is, as usual, over the top.

If the kid isn't a Preston fan, he can't be that arsed either? Should be made to give it to someone who gives a :censored:.

Doesn't make a different really if she's snatched it and it's how the media are portraying. If the kid caught the shirt, it's his.

A gesture like that is the sort of stuff to make that kid ditch being a run of the mill armchair, clueless, United/Sky customer, to become a proper, life long, football fan.

Abuse over the top and the Gumtree stuff prob rubbish I agree but why, like the poster above said, is there this "side of the story", why didn't she just say she's giving the shirt back (if she's going to) - if she was just looking after it, why couldn't she say that and why would relatives of the kid hit out.

She's still in the wrong and talking to 'sort things out' is just rubbish - nothing to sort out, just hand the shirt over!

It's still a 'story', irrespective of Gumtree rubbish, until she gives the shirt back.

• 2 weeks later...