I didnt see Diego in his trial games, didn't he do well enough, or was money the main consideration?

From the other thread:

Although he scored 3 goals in two Reserve matches for Latics, he wasn't offered a contract. Last year he told me Latics said to him "Go back to Oviedo and keep on training. We'll phone you", but the phone call never came.

Years later he donated a couple of his shirts for auction to raise funds for Trust Oldham. An event was held, with Shez present, at which the auction took place. With all the interest in a player who never played for the first team, Shez was embarrassed to be put on the spot when asked why he wasn't signed. He replied to the effect that it was because he was crap, which brought much laughter from the audience. He then went on to explain that, although he was a great lad, it was really because he wasn't just what he was looking for at the time.

Diego Cervero was gutted about not signing for us, when I spoke with him earlier in the season. He said he couldn't understand why he didn't win a contract, he said he played really well & scored goals, he could do nothing more.

He's a genuine nice lad too.

Much as I like to take any opportunity to extol the virtues of Dr Cervero, this has been covered already in another thread.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/47230-fao-diego-or-any-other-oviedoers/?hl=diego

What I'm not sure has been covered in any other thread, though, is that Fulham have apparently chucked in a bid for James Tarkowski.

• 2 weeks later...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_BWiaD2dtTw

Oviedo average 12,000 fans and now in the second tier of Spanish football? Can't help but feel he was worth the punt! His scoring record is ridiculous albeit in the lower tiers of Spanish football...he is a cult hero without kicking a ball so god knows what he would have become if he signed!

Edited by Blue_Guru