Darren Kelly and his "philosophy"

So now DK and his compadre Dean Holden have been in charge now for around a month since returning for pre season, what do people reckon about his appointment? I haven't seen any of the pre seasons or listened to any of his interviews so I can't comment on what has gone on pre season. Moreover, where do members on this forum predict us to finish this season? The Oldham way suggests there will be one first teamer leaving, J.Wilson, L.Kelly, M.Jones, J.Forte, C.Winchester, J.Mills? The question is which one... First post for a while and I hope all members of this board are having a good summer!!a,

OWTB

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you say our strongest starting eleven is?

Coleman

Brown

Wilson

Dieng (seen as we have nobody else signed)

Mills

Croft

Kelly

Jones

Winchester

Forte

Turner

Subs:

Cornell

Wilson

Green

Cassidy

Poleon

Murphy

Edmundson?

Edit: philliskirk aswell

Really lacking midfield/defence back up options really

Edited by retiredballboy

Coleman

mills James Wilson New Centre Back Brown

Jones Kelly Winchester Croft

forte Turner

Hard to fit in George Green at the moment

And Phili, Cassidy and Poleon.

From what I have seen of him I am confident that Truelove can cover left back which means both RB and LB have at least three players that can cover each position.

Dieng is the weakest link at the club, second to a non-existent centre half that is.

What's this nonsense about Dieng being a weak link, is there only a few of us on here that could see what a strong partnership him and Wilson put together last season, and that Dieng was getting better and better with every game?

We can't judge anything after precisely 0 competitive games. Nothing in his interviews have concerned me at all if we are bottom by the beginning of September I won't be worried, if we are in late November I will be.

No reactionary bull:censored: from me but right now we are 2-3 real quality players light of a top 6 challenge but will have enough to stay clear of relegation. Lower mid table it is this season as things stand.

I agree that we're mid table to just above relegation this coming season and this is what frustrates the hell out of me.

Where is the evolution rather than revolution?

Admittedly we have a new manager but majority of our players from last season are still with us. So the question is why can't we move on from last season with top 10/challenge on playoffs?!

I'm seriously worried that we haven't addressed our defensive "crisis" with the new season round the corner. We desperately need to bring one in if not to start, but to cover Wilson & Dieng.

I think we have enough options going forward however pre season has shown (apart from the pub team that is Stirling) that we can't score goals. We're going to have to score plenty this season if we want to stay up as we've shown we can't even remotely defend (which I thought would have been the first thing Kelly coached into them being a defender and all).

I hope to god we get off to a flyer because if we get ourselves into an early relegation battle I can't see us getting out of it.

The one thing that really stands out to me is the promise of lots of Pace and the complete lack of seeing this thus far barring a 20 minute spell from Poleon against Bolton.

I wont be judging until Walsall away though on this one...

I think George Green is going to be this season's most frustrating player looks to have it all but i think more often than not he will make the wrong choice or try to take a player on rather than play a simple pass but he also has the ability to smash a few in from 30 yards something we have lacked.....

The one thing that really stands out to me is the promise of lots of Pace and the complete lack of seeing this thus far barring a 20 minute spell from Poleon against Bolton.

10 minutes in or will you give them the first half?

Don't know how to share tweets on here, but Ian Cheeseman of the BBC I think? Just tweeted something along the lines of "When rumours and gossip don't seem to go away, could Kelly be under pressure already?"

Interesting.

He's got form on tweeting rubbish though, hasn't he?

I think George Green is going to be this season's most frustrating player looks to have it all but i think more often than not he will make the wrong choice or try to take a player on rather than play a simple pass but he also has the ability to smash a few in from 30 yards something we have lacked.....

So typical young player dropping down a few leagues then? I fully agree with your assessment of how he will perform but I disagree with your assessment that this will be 'frustrating', par for the course would be my assessment.

And yes, I appear to have become addicted to the word assessment.

Assessment.

It seems we've been told how important pace is and how we're going to have lots of it every pre season in living memory. And it's either not materialised or not done much for us.

I'd like us to focus on nouse instead for a change.

Care to give us any further insight?

He's not our weakest link.

As has been said by many already, we played our best football and had our best form when he had a run at CB last season.

Murphy, Turner, Philliskirk & Cassidy are all weaker links than him in my eyes.

We're not quite sure what we're going to get from Coleman or Cornell either. And we know we're not going to get a goal out of Croft.

I'm perfectly happy with Dieng as a starter or first choice back up at CB. He's a decent player who could be a very, very good player given a proper chance.

Unfortunately our manager seems to want to piss about with him in central midfield. Hopefully that's just for fitness while he wants a proper look at this procession of triallists at the back but, as it looks likely he'll be partnering Wilson at Walsall as things stand they could do with 90 minutes together.