League One Season Predictions

Here are mine for what it's worth, with a little piece about each team:

Automatic

Sheffield United - Surely they can't go wrong with the manager and players they have in place. Looked cohesive in pre-season.

Wigan Athletic - Have thrown a lot of money at players who know this level. Safe bet.

Playoffs

Barnsley - I rate LJ and, although their signings haven't been as good as expected, his unknown signings are usually pretty good and he has money to spend.

Bradford City - They've kept most of their squad and added a few good players to their typically robust team.

Scunthorpe United - They've bought a lot of good players over the last 18 months and I can see Robins making his mark in his 1st full season.

Millwall - Young manager and young squad make them difficult to predict, but I think they'll be very difficult to beat on their home turf.

Top half (7-12)

Rochdale - With Keith Hill they are a pretty safe bet for top half, if they lose him however, they could plummet.

Fleetwood Town - Decent enough squad to be comfortably top half without really challenging the playoffs.

Bury - They'll do well this season, but with their transfer strategy they kind of have to!

Gillingham - Dark horses for the playoffs, Edinburgh has done well progressing up the leagues and has a good eye for a player.

Burton Albion - Momentum, decent signings, manager who was very impressive last season and training facilities to attract players. They'll do well.

Coventry City - Mowbray is a manager who I rate, and will start their rebuilding process by getting them to mid table.

Bottom half (13-20)

Walsall - Possibly the most stable club in the league with Smith being the longest serving manager with a clear strategy for recruitment. Should stay clear of a relegation battle.

Peterborough United - Unconvincing and inexperienced manager and squad don't help their cause, but not having Darren Ferguson aids their cause massively!

Shrewsbury Town - They pretty much built their solid league one squad last year in league two, so they'll be ready to compete at this level.

Doncaster Rovers - Decent squad ran by a manager who unfortunately isn't good enough.

Swindon Town - Using the same strategy as last year in terms of recruitment make them difficult to predict, but losing a lot of good players will make it tough for them to replicate last seasons finish.

Chesterfield - They will surely have money to reinvest in the squad, but they've sold an alarming amount of their best players. Potential strugglers.

Colchester United - A lot of people's pick for relegation, but I think their nadir was last season. They have a lot of good youngsters who now have a year's more experience so I can see them surviving.

Oldham Athletic - Thankfully I don't think our squad needs many more additions to be competitive, but I'm not convinced by our manager and wouldn't be at all surprised if a mid season change is what gets us out of jail.

Relegation

Southend United - I don't think Phil Brown got the most out of his side last year and I don't think he will again. An example where disloyalty to the manager may be the best option.

Port Vale - An average/poor squad last year that's been topped up with unconvincing signings that appear to be stretching their budget. Not a good combination.

Crewe Alexandra - They'll probably produce a few quality youngsters who will give them a fighting chance, but they've lost a few of their best players without replacing them.

Blackpool - Such a shambles off the pitch that even if they do get a new owner the fallout from the current situation will linger on for a while.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Nice post!

not sure i agree with your playoff predictions (except Bradford)

also dont think Southend will struggle too badly...tough place to go and win

overall, once again, this league is wide open and there will be some surprising success and failure......could it be us??

Nice post!

not sure i agree with your playoff predictions (except Bradford)

also dont think Southend will struggle too badly...tough place to go and win

overall, once again, this league is wide open and there will be some surprising success and failure......could it be us??

Yeah playoffs were tricky to predict. There will be at least 1 surprise on that front.

My prejudice against Southend is mainly down to disliking Phil Brown! But while they'll be difficult to break down, I think they could really struggle to score with the way they play (regardless of signing Noel Hunt who I rate).

As predictions go, this is a very good one.

Think the Rochdale, Fleetwood and trio could be reversed and shifted about 10 places down the table.

Most of the league are much of a muchness though so between probably 5th and 22nd could be rearranged and be rationally placed

Edited by NewBlue