How we blagged Oldham Athletic into giving a client the managers job

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.sportcareers.co.uk/case-study

"There's no way he should have got such a job but we padded out his CV, knocked him up a killer PowerPoint presentation & coached him on interview techniques and he :censored:ing pissed it"

Is that about the long and short of it.......?

Think you're underestimating the value of a good handshake, maintaining eye contact and preparing some questions about the company for the end of the interview.

I think this just goes to show Simon Corney is more interested and impressed with a powerpoint presentation, dossiers and a sharp suit rather than someone with genuine footballing know how, contacts and time served on the training ground.....

Even getting a managers job now is getting corporate.

Why don't we give him a chance first? All this negativity about the guy and not one league game played. Personally I don't expect much but I don't see what criticising the guy offers? I'm pretty sure some of the top people in their fields of work were helped out when handing in a cv etc.

Why don't we give him a chance first? All this negativity about the guy and not one league game played. Personally I don't expect much but I don't see what criticising the guy offers? I'm pretty sure some of the top people in their fields of work were helped out when handing in a cv etc.

A few things I've been told from the only person I'm aware of that had actually heard of Kelly - a well placed source here in Ireland: "He's fond of the sunbeds" and "he's not the brightest".

When told the deal was apparently done my source said "mad".

I also heard a story about how he was completely unaware of one of if not the most significant chapter in Irish history, but I'll leave that at that.

We're not hiring a historian, and if he likes to take to a sunbed then good for him... It's the "he's not the brightest" bit that worries me.

I trust my source's judgement 100 per cent - but hope he's wrong.

The post above is taken from a thread shortly after Kelly was appointed.

The interviews I've watched have not impressed me and lead me to a similar conclusion.

It therefore puzzled me somewhat that SC had said the board was unanimous, after being 'blown away', following the best list of applicants in SC's 10 years at the club.

Maybe the OP in this thread explains how DK managed to achieve that.

He's an incredibly well qualified football coach, of that there is no doubt and I sincerely hope that helps him succeed.

You don't need to be a member of MENSA to be a football manager..... however you do need to have a level of innate intelligence to manage human resource.... and it's here where I fear he might struggle.

Kelly won't achieve anything, Kelly is awful, Kelly will relegate us. Wow. Give the man a chance. Judge him after a few months of league games rather than give up on him before season has started. How many people here have had help from someone on a CV to make it sound better, got a job and been brilliant at it?

So nobody has ever took advice from a recruitment firm on how best to promote themselves and how to make their cv look better. A good CV gets you an interview, it doesn't get you a job, settle down

I think it's more the fact he has agreed to go so public with it so early that is the problem...lack of foresight/tact

Id say he is a smart fella for using these, helped get him his dream job... Nothing to un pick at the moment, Im going to judge him on his first 6 competitive games, think the rest should also.

He's smart fella for using them.

I expect Lee Johnson did too

He's not a smart fella for letting them use his image so soon after the appoointment and before a ball has been kicked in anger.

But we've also had the twitter storm too.

He is exposing himself to criticism of being niaive in the media side of things. Worse, he's not seeming to learn.

Edited by singe