The Golden Era under Joe Royle

I feel privileged to have watched Latics through this era.

I'd always been taken to Latics by my Dad, my first visit to BP was in 1974 to see the last few minutes of the game against Leyton Orient, but I class my first proper season as the 86/87 playoff season. And from this point it was mainly up and up for the next 4 or 5 seasons for the club.

With hindsight though, whilst the success was obviously amazing, it was the brand of football that Joe brought to BP that was the highlight. The mentality of "if you score two, we'll score three" was just a joy to watch, there were very few dull games, and you always felt like you been entertained even if the result didn't always go our way.

Very different from recent years following Latics.

I feel privileged to have watched Latics through this era.

I'd always been taken to Latics by my Dad, my first visit to BP was in 1974 to see the last few minutes of the game against Leyton Orient, but I class my first proper season as the 86/87 playoff season. And from this point it was mainly up and up for the next 4 or 5 seasons for the club.

With hindsight though, whilst the success was obviously amazing, it was the brand of football that Joe brought to BP that was the highlight. The mentality of "if you score two, we'll score three" was just a joy to watch, there were very few dull games, and you always felt like you been entertained even if the result didn't always go our way.

Very different from recent years following Latics.

Exactly as I remember it, we didn't always win but we always entertained.

I just so glad that I was there during that period, it is a million miles away from were we are now and what we are serving up as entertainment.

Exactly as I remember it, we didn't always win but we always entertained.

I just so glad that I was there during that period, it is a million miles away from were we are now and what we are serving up as entertainment.

The home games for the first half of the 90/91 season were just magical. Think there was a run where we beat Watford (with David James in goal!) 4-1, Wolves 4-1, Brighton 6-1 and Plymouth 5-3.

I can reel off those games and scores like that. I can barely remember who we played last week.

Like I said, magical.

The mentality of "if you score two, we'll score three" was just a joy to watch, there were very few dull games, and you always felt like you been entertained even if the result didn't always go our way.

Hmmmm...

A lot of the 88/89 season was as bad as some of today's poorest fayre...

There were a few stinkers during the promotion season too and even more, in the league at least, during 89/90

And Royle got a lot of stick from some in the crowd on his first season - simply because he'd taken over from Jimmy Frizzel

He did get a bit. He had, of course, taken over from (at that point) the best manager we'd had since pre WW1. A manager whose departure was pretty poorly handled by the Board given his achievements. I think any anger towards JR stemmed from that as much as anything.

Hmmmm...

A lot of the 88/89 season was as bad as some of today's poorest fayre...

There were a few stinkers during the promotion season too and even more, in the league at least, during 89/90

Even so, 75 goals were scored in the league that season.

The play-offs in a season when we were rarely out of the top three.

Two FA cup semi-finals and replays against the biggest club in the world.

League cup final.

Promotion as champions.

Three seasons in the top flight.

Some great football and some fantastic games.

Glory in sport is relative. We were still selling players to balance the books. Joe's first teams were all built on a shoe string. In relative terms, these were indeed the glory years.

I remember being at university in the early 90s when we were the talk of the back pages and the telly. There were a few Oldham fans on different courses and we would wear out tops with pride standing toe to toe against the Leeds, Man United and Arsenal fans.

Will never forget those last three games against Villa, Liverpool then Southampton to complete the great escape in the 1992/93 season. Being a humble student, I couldn't afford to travel to BP to watch in person but sat in the pub and watched the scoreline develop on Final Score with the neutral students cheering on Oldham when the goals went in.

For the next 25 years - it's scary typing that as the time has flown - I've witnessed us on the downward spiral. As I graduated, I could finally afford the travel - first on a train taking 4-5 hours navigating across the UK and then in a car - and ticket to attend again in person but suffer season after season.

Funny despite those number of years passing I can recall immediately the "I remember when" of Big Joe leaving us for Everton (heard on radio standing at Derby train station), signing Sean McCarthy (hearing via Clubcall the reading about it in Shoot whilst in WHsmiths in Birmingham), signing Paul Beavers (again calling Clubcall via a phone box on Birmingham's Broad Street before a night on the booze because it said that Oldham had signed on loan an outstanding Premiership striker), Ritchie wanting to sign Paul Dickov (on holiday in 2001 via the newsnow website just has Moore bought the club and was promising millions to spend), Moore pulling the plug and the employees travelling on a bus down to Oxford (again on holiday and remember it was the day after my stepdad had passed away and I went and got blind drunk)...the list goes on

Seriously, I'd rather watch exciting, enterprising, gung-ho football in a lower level than the absolute :censored:e we've been inflicted with for the best part of a decade. If that's in division four, or conference so be it.

Get a manager in who'll blurt 80% of our budget on two :censored:ing brilliant wingers, a target man who''ll put 20 goals a season away and pick two absolute clod-hoppers at the back who'll play for a pie and a pint. It'll be mint.

Seriously, I'd rather watch exciting, enterprising, gung-ho football in a lower level than the absolute :censored:e we've been inflicted with for the best part of a decade. If that's in division four, or conference so be it.

Get a manager in who'll blurt 80% of our budget on two :censored:ing brilliant wingers, a target man who''ll put 20 goals a season away and pick two absolute clod-hoppers at the back who'll play for a pie and a pint. It'll be mint.

Go to Droylsden Mr Shankly, they have played that way for the last 10 years, success and failure.

With Dunn in the middle, Croft on one flank, Poleon or Forte or Yeates on the other and then two from the five or six strikers we have up front then we should be scoring goals and winning games.

I've forgot to add Jones in the middle too, Kelly also..oh and Green behind the front two....

Just work through that squad list and it makes you laugh that some are questioning the strength of the squad and then why we have just the 7 points in the season so far.

If the current management can't get that lot together I'm a cohesive attacking eleven that should be winning games then we seriously need to look at what influence they have on the team. Ironically the likes of Dowie or Shez would have them creating and converting those chances. I'm not against Kelly but I'm really frustrated that the team hasn't won more games in the league.

17th in 91/92 was a huge anti-climax/disappointment, we were much better than that - if we'd beaten City on the final

day we'd have finished top half ahead of Spurs, Chelsea and Everton.

17th wrongly gives the impression we only just survived.

Didn't realise that. Vaguely remember that game. Was it a Sunday night? 4-0?

100% this. After stagnating for so long, I just want to see some entertaining attacking football back at the club. I couldn't give a :censored: about the level.

17th in 91/92 was a huge anti-climax/disappointment, we were much better than that - if we'd beaten City on the final

day we'd have finished top half ahead of Spurs, Chelsea and Everton.

17th wrongly gives the impression we only just survived.

Good point. We were great in the second half of that season, at home anyway. Hammered Luton, beat Spurs, put champions Leeds to the sword.

This was the first season my dad allowed me to go away on the train with mates even though I was still at school. Proper exciting.