Should David Dunn be made permanent ?

As we are coming to the annual name the next manager lottery (or spin the bottle), I thought I might like to offer a couple of pointers, some cud to chew on.

As a football supporter/follower throughout my life, it has come to my attention what some good and bad managers appear to have in common.

Eg.

Kevin Keegan

• 4 Championship medals. (including Germany)
  • 1 FA cup winners medal
  • 1 Euro supercup winners medal
  • 63 International caps
  • PFA player of the year 1982
  • Ballon dor winner 1978, 1979.

John Barnes

• 2 Championship winners
  • 2 FA cup winners medals
  • 1 League cup winners medal
  • PFA player of the year award 1988
  • 79 International cap.

Kenny Dalglish

• 6 English championship medals
  • 1 FA cup winners medal
  • 4 League cup winners medals
  • 3 European cup medals
  • 1 Supercup medal
  • 102 International caps
  • 30 International goals.

TOTAL DUFFERS

Whereas:-

Alex Ferguson

• Played for the mighty Dunfirmline, Ayr Utd and Forfar
  • 1 Scottish league cup runners up medal.
  • Scored a few goals.

Jose Mourinho

Played for Rio Ave (because his dad was the coach)

• Belenenses
  • Sesimbra
  • Took Early retirement because he was total :censored:e and no-one would sign him.

Roy Hodgson

• Played for Crystal Palace
  • Giant killing Northfleet
  • Knee trembling Gravesend
  • Awesome Maidstone

Best of recent generation

It appears to me that the more :censored: you are as a player , the better you become as a manager.

Bull:censored:, Bollocks I hear you all cry!

But my explanation is this. The more :censored: you are the more you have to think about your game, hence you became more aware of tactics, positioning and observant of whats going on.Whereas the more gifted you are, you dont give a :censored: about formations , positioning etc, you just play on instinct. The likes of Barnes Dalglish and Keegan just got the ball, dribbled around a few players and stuck the ball in the net.

Which brings me to this conclusion:-

David Dunn

• 1 International cap
  • Over 300 Premier appearances.

You Decide !

Kenny Dalglish & Kevin Keegan "total duffers"??

Dalglish won the first double in a generation back when it still meant something and went on to become one of very few managers to win titles with more than one club......

Keegan got promotions with 3 different clubs, nearly won the league with Newcastle (NEWCASTLE!) and got himself the England job....

Dalglish won the first double in a generation back when it still meant something and went on to become one of very few managers to win titles with more than one club......

Keegan got promotions with 3 different clubs, nearly won the league with Newcastle (NEWCASTLE!) and got himself the England job....

Aye - putting uncle Roy in with Ferguson and Mourinho is a bit of a stretch too.

Where to start with this?

"Roy Hodgson" and "best of recent generation" don't go in the same sentence.

Pep Guardiola, Luis Enrique, Diego Simeone, Ronald Koeman, Carlo Ancelotti. All very good players, all very good managers.

Dalglish won a Premier League title with Blackburn, and loads of stuff at Liverpool.

Yeah, there's Villas-Boas, Rodgers, Mourinho who had crap careers and became good managers. But there's John Carver, Darren Kelly, and a load of other garbage who didn't.

Then there's Barnes, Roy Keane, Maradona, Shearer who were great players, and :censored: managers.

Basically, there's no formula. Each gaffer is different, and it's not their playing background that makes or breaks them, there's a thousand other factors that dictate it.

Exactly what I was going to say. Dalglish won four league titles and two FA Cups for Christ's sake.

Alex Ferguson

• Scored a few goals.

When you do your second draft of Ferguson's CV he'd probably appreciate you including Rangers.

Where to start with this?

"Roy Hodgson" and "best of recent generation" don't go in the same sentence.

Pep Guardiola, Luis Enrique, Diego Simeone, Ronald Koeman, Carlo Ancelotti. All very good players, all very good managers.

Dalglish won a Premier League title with Blackburn, and loads of stuff at Liverpool.

Yeah, there's Villas-Boas, Rodgers, Mourinho who had crap careers and became good managers. But there's John Carver, Darren Kelly, and a load of other garbage who didn't.

Then there's Barnes, Roy Keane, Maradona, Shearer who were great players, and :censored: managers.

Basically, there's no formula. Each gaffer is different, and it's not their playing background that makes or breaks them, there's a thousand other factors that dictate it.

what this man said

Thanks. You saved me the effort of posting pretty much exactly this.

As we are coming to the annual name the next manager lottery (or spin the bottle), I thought I might like to offer a couple of pointers, some cud to chew on.

As a football supporter/follower throughout my life, it has come to my attention what some good and bad managers appear to have in common.

Eg.

Kevin Keegan

• 1 FA cup winners medal
  • 63 International caps

John Barnes

• 2 Championship winners
  • 79 International cap.

Kenny Dalglish

• 1 FA cup winners medal
  • 3 European cup medals
  • 1 Supercup medal
  • 102 International caps

TOTAL DUFFERS

Alex Ferguson

• Scored a few goals.

Jose Mourinho

• Belenenses
  • Sesimbra
  • Took Early retirement because he was total :censored:e and no-one would sign him.

Roy Hodgson

• Awesome Maidstone

It appears to me that the more :censored: you are as a player , the better you become as a manager.

But my explanation is this. The more :censored: you are the more you have to think about your game, hence you became more aware of tactics, positioning and observant of whats going on.Whereas the more gifted you are, you dont give a :censored: about formations , positioning etc, you just play on instinct. The likes of Barnes Dalglish and Keegan just got the ball, dribbled around a few players and stuck the ball in the net.

David Dunn

• 1 International cap

You Decide !

Surprised you have not included Arsene Wenger in your all encompassing and comprehensive assessment....

Edited by singe

Eg.

Kevin Keegan

• 1 FA cup winners medal
  • 63 International caps

John Barnes

• 2 Championship winners
  • 79 International cap.

Kenny Dalglish

• 1 FA cup winners medal
  • 3 European cup medals
  • 1 Supercup medal
  • 102 International caps

TOTAL DUFFERS

Alex Ferguson

• Scored a few goals.

Jose Mourinho

• Belenenses
  • Sesimbra

Roy Hodgson

• Awesome Maidstone

David Dunn

• 1 International cap

You Decide !

Pep Guardiola.

He fits into your succesful player crap manager template doesn't he...

Player he won the following:

Barcelona B

Barcelona

Spain

And as a manger only won trhe following:

Barcelona B

Barcelona

Bayern Munich

Edited by singe

How about Derby County manager Paul Clement, former assistant manager at Chelsea, Paris St Germain and Real Madrid, he was a PE teacher and never played above non league level?

Edited by BP1960