Where does now rank amongst the worst times to have supported OAFC?

A cheerful Sunday morning thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When we lost at Preston after Johnson replaced Dickov I was convinced we were down.

And we'd been really, really bad for most of that season under PD the cup aside.....

I'd fortunately discovered beer & women in the period when we went down from the Premier League and into this godforsaken league so missed most of that - how bad were those days?

Obviously the Chris Moore episode was terrible off the pitch but I remember it being OK on it. I quite enjoyed us having our worst squad ever but still giving it a right good go..... Shez putting his boots back on too...

I don't ever remember being this utterly bored though. And worried. We just seem to be getting worse and worse under Dunn.

Even under Penney, while I didn't like it, I could see what he was trying to do but I've no idea what Dunn is trying to make us.

Someone mentioned the season we were relegated to Div 4 recently, that season can't have been fun....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The season we came down to league 1 was bad mainly due to the standards that had been set in the previous 5 or 6 years. We were like a sinking stone getting beat easily off teams that we had smashed out of sight not long before. Sharp took the job & all the personality we had left on the bench & on the pitch was taken away & we suffered badly for it.

However the standard of football then is far superior to the :censored: on display these days. It goes to show though because everybody seems to be using the same description quit often. For me its not league 1 & the length of time we have been in the same division.its how we play & the fact we don't entertain anymore....

BORED!!!!!

The penny has dropped for me this season - we're simply happy to exist. The board see 20th as an achievement. I saw the good times but it only ever felt we were on borrowed time. Relegation in 1994 shouldn't have been the end of world as we new the division well. Instead we only lasted 3 years. Whether historically we are traditionally a 3rd or 4th tier team or not in my lifetime we've spent 21 years in the top two divisions 18 in the second tier for me that will always be our level rightly or wrongly. The board expecting me to be grateful for this :censored:ty slow death of simply existing is not enough. This is the lowest I have felt, I'm completely indifferent to the procession of loanees we bring in month after month and by sight I reckon I could no longer name half of our squad. The football is sterile boring :censored:e and has been since Shez left apart from a three month period under Dickov in 2010.

Sadly under the present board and coaching set up it is inevitable we will fall again and once you drop into the league below then the real nightmare becomes a reality. I've threatened to walk away loads of times in the last decade of :censored:e but have always managed to drag myself back to games with blind faith. Yesterday though I was trying to have an intelligent conversation with a fellow 'fan' yet he found it simpler to make cheap insults about me, if that's the quality of supporter we now have then walking away has just become a whole lot easier....

Edited by oafcprozac

For 10 minutes they got us excited...

Swindon Town then entertained the crowd with stylish football while we sat in our own half & on the edge of our box trying to keep them out like we did against Liverpool.

I think that was more the crowd helping the players than versa?

To acknowledge both your points the effort & energy was there tbf

Edited by palmer1

If agree with that. I get more excitement from your Twitter pictures of past players these days! (I think it's yours anyway Palmer)

Yeah that's me.

The problem with doing that is its made me realise how much more entertaining we've been over the years, even if we weren't winning.

The football is sterile boring :censored:e and has been since Shez left apart from a three month period under Dickov in 2010.

It was good (albeit unsuccessful) for the first 10 games or so of Johnsons fill season and I'm convinced it would be nigh on impossible not to finish at least 20th playing like that all season.

The run that took us to 5th was quite enjoyable aswell, the Swindon win was great...

Edited by HarryBosch

I used to think of the Ritchie years as a nightmare, now I'd give my left bollock to have a hungry home grown squad whilst not the greatest always had a go and we're capable of superb hard working displays like at Wigan away and the Chelsea cup tie or the win at City. This is how far my expectations have lowered as at the time in that period between 1998-2001i honestly thought it couldntt get any worse after THAT defeat at millmoor - how young and naive I was.....

I remember the times after Jimmy Frizz was sacked before Big Joe came good. We'd been stagnant for a long time. Admittedly a league above but it looked equally likely we would go down at times.

The 1959/60 and battling against re-election and there was no automatic promotion back must have been worse though. The team that finished 5 pts above us Gateshead went down. We've been re=elected the season before, so it must have been a close vote.

And the Post World War, after the trauma of war and just missing on the title must have been the hardest surely.

Maybe worse in living memory rather than history, but some have still seen us in worse state.

I've never had such little faith that I'll be entertained or we will win. I keep going in the hope that somethings will finally click, but whenever we feel that may happen we lose a manager, the players or just give up.

My favourite part of match day is the beer! The football is now 2 X 45 minute intermissions between good beer, :censored: beer, good beer!

The being :censored: I can live with, I really can - no one has a right to success but the sterile football and zero ambition to build a team, instead settling for the loanee revolving door is what's killing my enthusiasm. This is the year to get your squad to progress as next year you need something settled in place as the loanee option isn't there between September and January. If we follow type and dither in the market over the summer then whichever league we find ourselves in come August then we're in serious trouble if we do the usual thing and start the season three or four bodies light.

The fact there is a thread on this tells its own story.

Its horrific truly horrific. As someone has already said its boring negative football. At the moment am going out of habit. A friend has lent me a season ticket for the next two home games. If he hadnt I would be questioning if I wanted to pay £22 to watch that at the moment especially with xmas round the corner. When you add a pint or 2 and a pie its touching £40 a game. I can take us getting beat when you can see we have gone out and tried to win a game of football, at the moment we are going out not to lose.

I am not expecting us to turn it around anytime soon, although I hope we do.

I remember the times after Jimmy Frizz was sacked before Big Joe came good. We'd been stagnant for a long time. Admittedly a league above but it looked equally likely we would go down at times.

The 1959/60 and battling against re-election and there was no automatic promotion back must have been worse though. The team that finished 5 pts above us Gateshead went down. We've been re=elected the season before, so it must have been a close vote.

And the Post World War, after the trauma of war and just missing on the title must have been the hardest surely.

Maybe worse in living memory rather than history, but some have still seen us in worse state.

I agree 1959 was the worst, but it shows how quickly things can change when in 1960 some inspired signing like Bobby Johnstone and Bert Lister changed everything for the better.

Went to watch a Premier League match in the away end the other week.

:censored:ing hell, the stuff on offer at League 1 level is atrocious. Championship standard is relatively high, but this level is dog:censored:. It really is.

On the other hand at the PL game, the atmosphere was excellent, the match was high-standard, the fans had genuinely likeable players with songs for them all, they all looked like they gave a :censored: for the cause, no problems between standing up and sitting down fans, bit of a laugh with the home fans.

The extra you pay for your ticket, pint and pie was worth it in the end. Hit home just how :censored:e it really is on your standard Saturday afternoon at BP.

Can't claim to have been going for even a quarter as long as some fans on here, so the decline must be even more evident and hurtful to those who saw the club at a decent level.

For me the worst was 68/9 , relegated from this division, creeds down to 3000 ish (and that was from 13000 a couple of years before) ...left without money or hope...returning to the bottom rungs from which we had escaped 6 years earlier

But again hope springs from the fact that Jimmy Friz became manager, promoted in 71 , promoted again in 74.

I appreciate that 59 was probably worse but my first game was 60

Prozac has touched on it. The amount of loan signings who come in and make 5 appearances for us before going back is a joke. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I long for the days when our own youth players, such as Rickers, Allott and McNiven, made 250 appearances for us...

A reserve team proved useful at bridging the gap between the youth and first team too.

In terms of low points I don't think we've hit the Sharp/Penney stage just yet. They're making a fist it though.