Hillsborough

As part of the Hillsborough inquest, a list of stadiums that had crush injuries/deaths was produced.

In 1962, 15 were injured when a barrier collapsed at Boundary Park.

Mercifully no more than that were hurt and no one was killed, but I did not know of this.

Was anyone else recall this?

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/691909771394433024

Against Liverpool in the 4th round of the cup

Was in the main stand paddock and saw the crowd in chaddy end surge forward when crash barriers gave way

People treated at edge of pitch

In those days the chaddy end capacity was 12000 and it was full in a crowd of nearly42000

Against Liverpool in the 4th round of the cup

Was in the main stand paddock and saw the crowd in chaddy end surge forward when crash barriers gave way

People treated at edge of pitch

In those days the chaddy end capacity was 12000 and it was full in a crowd of nearly42000

12,000 in the chaddy!? I know with the seats removed the capacity would be higher, but was the stand bigger than what it is now?

As part of the Hillsborough inquest, a list of stadiums that had crush injuries/deaths was produced.

In 1962, 15 were injured when a barrier collapsed at Boundary Park.

Mercifully no more than that were hurt and no one was killed, but I did not know of this.

Was anyone else recall this?

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/691909771394433024

All you need to know in this thread:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/36892-fa-cup-oldham-v-liverpool-1962/

As 14 year old schoolboy I was at Boundary Park on that January day in 1962. My recollection was being able to pay (think it was sixpence in old money ?) on the day at the old Rochdale Road open end, and it was a mixed area for both Latics and Liverpool supporters, not uncommon in the days before football hooligans. There were 5/6 of us the youngest being maybe 6 years old and we got there early and stood behind a crash barrier half way up the terrace having an excellent view. Unfortunately as the crowd increased the pressure from the people behind us became too much, and being afraid for our safety we moved to the side of the terrace to watch the game. We were directly opposite the place at the Chaddy end where the wall collapsed and could see what was happening. Funnily enough it did not look too serious as the spectators spilled on to the pitch and then appeared to be quickly put back into the crowd. Latics should have won that day against a soon to become great Liverpool team, and Bobby Johnstone was in his pomp - what a great player ?!. Of course we got our revenge for that defeat at BP by defeating Liverpool 3-2 in Jan 2103 - my son in law who supports Liverpool did not speak to me for a few days as he could not believe what had happened.

As 14 year old schoolboy I was at Boundary Park on that January day in 1962. My recollection was being able to pay (think it was sixpence in old money ?) on the day at the old Rochdale Road open end, and it was a mixed area for both Latics and Liverpool supporters, not uncommon in the days before football hooligans. There were 5/6 of us the youngest being maybe 6 years old and we got there early and stood behind a crash barrier half way up the terrace having an excellent view. Unfortunately as the crowd increased the pressure from the people behind us became too much, and being afraid for our safety we moved to the side of the terrace to watch the game. We were directly opposite the place at the Chaddy end where the wall collapsed and could see what was happening. Funnily enough it did not look too serious as the spectators spilled on to the pitch and then appeared to be quickly put back into the crowd. Latics should have won that day against a soon to become great Liverpool team, and Bobby Johnstone was in his pomp - what a great player ?!. Of course we got our revenge for that defeat at BP by defeating Liverpool 3-2 in Jan 2103 - my son in law who supports Liverpool did not speak to me for a few days as he could not believe what had happened.

woohoo thats something to look forward to! :getmecoat:

• 2 months later...

Pathetic keyboard warrior quoted above.

There most definitely will be prosecutions now - based not just on the disaster, but on the systematic doctoring of statements and cover-up.

Who would think that in our society, the great democracy, that it took 25 years for a proper Inquest and 27 years for justice to be achieved.

The list of those who died and predicted time range for death (so many after 3-15pm), the 40-plus ambulances outside, the treatment of the dead in the Hillsbrough gym, the abusive letters to families telling them to "face the truth"... Unbelievable.