Anthony Gerrard

Definitely the most open LP interview I've ever heard.

Says all the usual things that indicate a player's going to leave, but it's also clear that he has an affinity for the club.

Corney and the board got a lot wrong in the horrible anus year, but bringing in Shez and Gerrard were exactly what the club and team needed so they deserve their share of the credit.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well some are happy for the manager to show no loyalty so we can't expect players to be doing so.

I certainly don't expect any loyalty from Gerrard as he's made it pretty clear on many occasions that he'll do what best for his career. All power to him really.

Same with Shez. Hopefully the fact that he is so well regarded by pretty much everyone at our club will have an influence on his decision, but at the end of the day it's his career so if he has a substantially better offer he should take it (I'm not convinced that Bolton is that better offer, all things considered). I just hope that the board put up as much of a fight as possible to keep him.

Good interview that. Refreshing to see a footballer give honest, direct and comprehensive answers without trying to dodge any of the questions or regurgitate bland platitudes.

For what it's worth, I got the impression he'd be more than happy to stay with us, if we could come up with a good enough financial package. But he's realistic enough to understand that his demands are likely to be beyond our means.

Good interview that. Refreshing to see a footballer give honest, direct and comprehensive answers without trying to dodge any of the questions or regurgitate bland platitudes.

For what it's worth, I got the impression he'd be more than happy to stay with us, if we could come up with a good enough financial package. But he's realistic enough to understand that his demands are likely to be beyond our means.

It sounds like because of whatever rumours were flying around about him us and Shrewsbury were the only clubs to entertain him though - hopefully for our sake, not his, that won't change :lol:

I certainly don't expect any loyalty from Gerrard as he's made it pretty clear on many occasions that he'll do what best for his career. All power to him really.

Same with Shez. Hopefully the fact that he is so well regarded by pretty much everyone at our club will have an influence on his decision, but at the end of the day it's his career so if he has a substantially better offer he should take it (I'm not convinced that Bolton is that better offer, all things considered). I just hope that the board put up as much of a fight as possible to keep him.

I get this. But what's the difference between them and Chris Porter? Loathed by many but surely just going and getting the best deal for himself after contributing a lot to the club?

I get this. But what's the difference between them and Chris Porter? Loathed by many but surely just going and getting the best deal for himself after contributing a lot to the club?

We won't get any money for Gerrard. We were about to get quite a bit for Porter.

While quite within his rights to look after number one many (not least Corney) were/are unhappy about the way it played out.

Had he been going to Scotland all along I don't think there'd have been quite as much boiling of piss....

You don't see the difference between Shez and chris porter? No point tryin to explain anything to you then.

I would love him here and I think it will be the case!

I can't see him being flooded with offers. He held out during last pre season and ended up playing for free at Shrewsbury until we came in.

As long as we don't put a crap offer and as a bonus make him captain if Kelly leaves!