Safe Standing

Rail seats being installed at Celtic Park over the summer to accommodate 2,600 fans, permission was granted in June and the rail seats will be in place for next season, is this open to any club to trial or have Celtic been given special permission? Would anyone be happy with a return to safe standing areas?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rail seats being installed at Celtic Park over the summer to accommodate 2,600 fans, permission was granted in June and the rail seats will be in place for next season, is this open to any club to trial or have Celtic been given special permission? Would anyone be happy with a return to safe standing areas?

more than happy for it to happen....and being able to have a beer at the same time ....but maybe thats a tad radical

Most absurd rule ever brought in.

Hillsborough was the biggest cock up ever and the all seating

arrangements brought in afterwards was the proverbial sledge hammer

to crack the nut.

Should be abolished.

Aye. Never banned seating after Bradford did they. Despite the fact it takes way longer to evacuate (providing your not packed in like animals).

I think the permissions Celtic have will be largely irrelevant as they're under a different league and FA, as well as devolved building regulations etc.

I'm all for safe standing though, particularly in the lower leagues, where there's no real danger of large, 'dangerous' crowds.

Most absurd rule ever brought in.

Hardly...

While I think there was a clear agenda from that bitch Thatcher and it was ultimately a knee jerk and wrong decision. That is all with what we know today.

Back in the 90s while some people where complaining about the loss of standing I don't remember anyone really protesting against it given what had happened. The fact is no body ever died because of seats (unless you want to include the odd trip or other random event). That doesn't mean standing can't be safe either.

So yeah wrong, but it was hardly absurd....

Edited by oafc0000

Given the lies surrounding Hillsborough it wouldn't seem absurd to the public then, would it...

Now we know that it was the Police's fault and the fans were wrongfully criminalised we can get on with bringing standing back in grounds, with better organisation.

Or "standing" as clubs with standing call it....

As one who stood on terracing in the 1960/70s and hardly saw any play because of giants directly in front of me I welcomed all seater stadiums

We had 42,000 at the Liverpool cup tie in 1962 and it was fortunate an incident that day didn't result into a major disaster.

I also remember being packed in like sardines at Old Trafford once and feared I would be crushed.

Any return to terracing in the FL would have to mean comfortable standing room and a safe system of operation.