We are simply the laughing stock of football

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

I`ve been working away down south and haven't had time for the internet etc.

All I can say is this - generally I have stuck by Latics and tried to remain positive throughout the many traumas we have experienced over the past few years (and many before!)

However, this club is now beyond a joke in the way it is run - to the outside world, it is utterly shambolic.

Mr Corney - please get in a decent team of directors who actually have some ability, are able to "understand" the fans, communicate and display a modicum of common sense.

Without doubt, we are in absolute crisis and could find ourselves so far adrift at the bottom of the table after about 12 games that there would be no coming back.

Supporting Latics is no longer enjoyable - you are losing hundreds of previously loyal fans year on year - I simply despair

All I can say is this - generally I have stuck by Latics and tried to remain positive throughout the many traumas we have experienced over the past few years (and many before!)

However, this club is now beyond a joke in the way it is run - to the outside world, it is utterly shambolic.

Mr Corney - please get in a decent team of directors who actually have some ability, are able to "understand" the fans, communicate and display a modicum of common sense.

Without doubt, we are in absolute crisis and could find ourselves so far adrift at the bottom of the table after about 12 games that there would be no coming back.

Supporting Latics is no longer enjoyable - you are losing hundreds of previously loyal fans year on year - I simply despair

I'd say the last three/four months of last season was enjoyable, albeit nervewracking at times...

All very passionate, I suppose, but you haven't actually said what you feel is wrong inside the hallowed halls of BP, or how it may be rectified. Have you completed a survey of the outside world, or even a few mates "darn Sarf" to arrive at "shambolic". If so, what have they based their assumption on? To me, this is a nothing post and thread. There's plenty more threads to beat the club with. Sorry, mate, but that's how it strikes me.

Could be an opportunity to rip it up and start again. We needed the manager at least two weeks ago, but if we can get someone in over the next couple of days who can hit the ground running, then we can make progress next season. Last seasons team was very poor. It needed dismantling. We just need to start building...fourteen days ago.

Guest nonaenever

All very passionate, I suppose, but you haven't actually said what you feel is wrong inside the hallowed halls of BP, or how it may be rectified. Have you completed a survey of the outside world, or even a few mates "darn Sarf" to arrive at "shambolic". If so, what have they based their assumption on? To me, this is a nothing post and thread. There's plenty more threads to beat the club with. Sorry, mate, but that's how it strikes me.

Have I not? Thought I mentioned getting in a decent team of directors - that's the core of the problem (I have always supported Corney but think his team is poor) And as for your sarcastic comments regarding a survey of the outside world - no I haven't done an empirical survey - it's just anecdotal evidence from talking to real football fans who all, without exception, had quizzical looks on their faces and basically said, "what's going on up there? Oldham used to be a smashing club" -

Guest nonaenever

How was the flooding down there yesterday?

At one point - the Isle of Wight was under water. Was a nightmare getting back up north due to train cancellations down there. Fun !

We're not the laughing stock of football.

Nobody cares.

I live with people who couldn't care less about Oldham Athletic in a footballing sense, yet know all about Ched Evans (and Tuohy allegations).

We are a laughing stock because we're stuck with associations we can't break.

I visit certain people every couple of months for work.

The first question they ask has changed recently.

It used to be 'have you signed any rapists recently?' Now it is 'Have you paid the taxman yet?'

It could have been 'have you signed any more tax fiddlers?' I dread to think what it will be next.

All of the clubs own making!

I'd say it says more about the person you're talking too than our club.

Perhaps. But I defy you to tell me you've not met a person since the Ched Evans saga that hasn't mentioned in derogatory terms the fact we tried to sign a convicted rapist.

Just look on social media if a big news outlet puts something about the club.

Perhaps. But I defy you to tell me you've not met a person since the Ched Evans saga that hasn't mentioned in derogatory terms the fact we tried to sign a convicted rapist

I must meet different people because that's not been my experience

I've not had a problem with it. In fact, often the opposite,"good on yer, still supporting your home town team". Maybe it depends on the context of how the conversation starts.

Yes, now and again the Ched Evans thing crops up but no one's slaughtered me or the club for it.

To me, the ones with an issue are often the young kids who "support" one of the big boys but never set foot any where near a live match. So everyone else is rubbish.

I think I've just gone off topic.

But going back God knows how far you the first page, sorry nonaynever, I wasn't being sarcastic. I just wondered how many people you'd spoken to and got the response you mentioned.

only recent thing that's happened to me with regards to Ched Evans is when I was trooping around Auckland last February. Was visiting some monument and as busy as it was I heard a group of middle aged blokes comment about the fact I had a Latics top on. One of them simply replied about how we were signing CE! Now to me, I would say that if someone mentioned the fact I was a Latics fan (and not simply an Oldham fan) must mean they were from the locality! .. that pissed me off!

That said, dressed as a primani holiday manakin as they were, I figured the next time I was likely to see them was at a free match when they'd be wearing their BOVIS tops and harping on how great we were back in the day!

... deep breaths!!!

Edited by thetramdriver