The OWTB Prediction League 2016/17

Stevie_J

So, Bristolatic and I have been talking through some changes for the coming season, based on various suggestions, and we've decided (kind of!) on the following set up...
The Free-to-Play league is to be scrapped. Not many bothered with it last time around and it became an extra burden for Bristolatic to produce the additional league table. I hope the regular free players might consider signing up to the subscription league.
The points scoring will be the same as last season's but the season predictions are to be scrapped.
Entry is £10 for the season, to be paid via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (note the underscore - may be best to copy and paste the address and please leave your OWTB username in the PayPal message box) or PM me for account details for BACS transfer. Half of the fees will be used as a prize fund, and the remainder will go to PlayerShare/charity.
The league will be split into divisions, the exact set up of which will depend on the number of players who sign up. Initial places will be determined based on the following (in order of priority):
  • position in last season's Subscription League;
  • position in last season's Free-to-Play League; followed by
  • new players on a first come, first served basis.
Prizes will be the same in each division, i.e. the prize for winning Division One will be the sameas the prize for winning Division Two, that way everyone has the opportunity to pick up the same prize regardless of the division they are in.
The end of this season will see promotion and relegation come into play and even playoffs (the exact set up of which I'll confirm soon).
The Cup competition will run again too, with a similar set up to last season.
More details to follow...
Edit (4/8/16):
As stated above, entry for the season is £10. This must be paid by 3pm on Saturday, so there's not much time left.
As in previous seasons, there will be a thread for each Latics league fixture in the Prediction League forum. Players must post their predictions for the relevant fixture in the corresponding thread. Here's the link to the prediction thread for Saturday's game at Millwall - http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/48844-millwall-a-prediction-thread-201617/
Confirmed players are listed in a thread in the prediction league forum (Link), so if you have paid and don't appear in that list, please shout and we'll try to figure out what's gone amiss.
All league games (but not cup games) will count in the Prediction League competition.
The League
So, unless we have a massive influx of players registering in the remaining time, we will have two divisions this year, a Premier League and a Championship League. I think we'd need a minimum of 48 players to justify three divisions and that looks unlikely. Players will be placed as set out above and I'll confirm exactly how as soon as possible after we know how many players we have but the intention is to have an even split across the divisions or as close as possible to that.
At the end of the season, the bottom three players in the Premier League will be relegated to the Championship. The top two players in the Championship will be promoted to the Premier League. The players finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in the Championship will playoff for the final promotion spot.
The Playoffs
The playoffs will work as follows:
Players will be matched with the teams finishing in the same position as them in League One. For example, if Coventry finish third in League One and Scunthorpe finish sixth, then the players finishing third and sixth in the Prediction League Championship will playoff against each other over two legs by predicting the outcome of the Coventry v Scunthorpe playoff semi-final fixtures. The same will apply to fourth and fifth positions for the corresponding League One teams/ Prediction League players. The winning players will then playoff in a final, by predicting the outcome of the League One playoff final, the winner of which will be promoted to the Premier League.
However, in the (very unlikely?) event that Latics make the playoffs, ALL players in the playoff positions will predict Latics's playoff semi-final games and not the other semi final. The final will be based on predictions for the playoff final, regardless of whether Latics make the final.
For all playoff games involving Latics, first scorer prediction will be Latics first scorer (same as regular predictions). Where predicting on games not involving Latics, first scorer predictions can be for either team.
In the event of a draw in the final, the winner will be determined by the closest attendance prediction, then by total points scored in the playoffs, then by previous attendance predictions if still level.
The Cup
The prediction league will include a cup competition, starting on 2 January 2017. The exct format of the cup will be confirmed, once we have established the number of players, but the competition will start with a group stage, followed by a knockout round if 16, through to a final. Players will be drawn against each other and their scores for a particular fixture will dictate which player wins. In the event of a draw in the knockout games, there will be a replay. In the event of another draw, the predictor with the closest attendance prediction in the replay will progress. In the very unlikely event that they remain tied, we will draw lots.
Prizes and Donations
The total fees will be distributed as follows:
Half to be used as a prize fund to be divided: 25% to the Premier League winner; 12.5% to the Premier League runner up; 25% to the Championship League winner; 12.5% to the Championship League runner-up; and 25% to the cup winner.
The other half of the pot, minus any fees, will be split equally as donations to PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's Hospice.
Predictions
Players must predict the half-time score; the full-time score; first Latics goalscorer and the match attendance.
e.g. Rochdale 0-1 Latics (HT 0-0) - Erwin - 3,331
Please keep the predictions in this format - it makes Bristolatic's life a lot easier when working on the league tables.
Predictions must be submitted by 10 minutes before the stated kick-off time (for example, if a given fixture is schedule to kick off at 15:00 then a prediction with a time stamp of 14:51 or later on the day on the game will not count); this is because games do occasionally kick-off slightly early. Predictions can also be edited up until the same point. Any prediction edited after that will not count. Predictions must be posted in the correct thread - it sounds simple and with the free game now gone, hopefully it will be, as there will only be one thread for each fixture.
In the event that a player posts more than one prediction for the same fixture, the first submitted prediction will be taken as that player's entry - it's worth keeping this in mind when fixtures are rearranged after a postponement!
For the avoidance of doubt, players cannot predict Latics to score in their result prediction and 'no scorer' in their scorer prediction for the same fixture. Similarly, players cannot predict that Latics will not score and name a first scorer. Nor can players predict a half-time score which does not align with the full time score (e.g. Latics to be 1-0 up at half-time and Latics to lose 1-0). Each full prediction should be fully-formed and be a possible outcome of the match. Any predictions submitted which are contrary to this rule will not be counted.
Scoring
Scoring works as follows:

Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
Correct full-time score +2pts;
Correct half-time score +2pts;
First scorer +3pts;
Within 100 of attendance +3pts;

Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
Exact attendance +20pts;
No 'first goalscorer' points will be awarded if there is no goalscorer (even if you predict no goalscorer).
If you believe that there has been an error in scoring up predictions, please PM Bristolatic and/or me, rather than posting on the forums where it may be missed, and we will look into it.
--
Please sign up, if you have a spare tenner. The more players we have, the more interesting it gets in terms of prizes, a cup competition, etc. and the more PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's stand to benefit.
Any problems/questions, give me a shout here, by PM or email. Cheers.
Massive thanks as always to Bristolatic for his continued efforts with this, particularly producing the league tables, without which it just wouldn't work. And to lookersstandandy for his preseason marketing!
:chubb:
--
Edit 10/08/16

With 42 players confirmed this season, the prizes are as follows:

• Premier League Winner - £52.50
  • Premier League Runner-up - £26.25
  • Championship Winner - £52.50
  • Championship Runner-up - £26.25
  • Cup Winner - £52.50

The remainder in the pot (after PayPal fees) is £198.12, so that means donations of £99.06 each to PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's Hospice.

Thanks again to everyone who's signed up. Hope you enjoy the season.

:chubb:

Edited by Stevie_J

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Bristolatic and I have been talking through some changes for the coming season, based on various suggestions, and we've decided (kind of!) on the following set up...

The Free-to-Play league is to be scrapped. Not many bothered with it last time around and it became an extra burden for Bristolatic to produce the additional league table. I hope the regular free players might consider signing up to the subscription league.

The points scoring will be the same as last season's but the season predictions are to be scrapped.

Entry is £10 for the season, to be paid via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (note the underscore - may be best to copy and paste the address) or PM me for account details for BACS transfer. Half of the fees will be used as a prize fund, and the remainder will go to PlayerShare/charity.

The league will be split into divisions, the exact set up of which will depend on the number of players who sign up. Initial places will be determined based on the following (in order of priority):

• position in last season's Subscription League;
  • position in last season's Free-to-Play League; followed by
  • new players on a first come, first served basis.
Prizes will be the same in each division, i.e. the prize for winning Division One will be the sameas the prize for winning Division Two, that way everyone has the opportunity to pick up the same prize regardless of the division they are in.

The end of this season will see promotion and relegation come into play and even playoffs (the exact set up of which I'll confirm soon).

The Cup competition will run again too, with a similar set up to last season.

More details to follow...

Good decision to banish the amateur game to the dustbin. Absolute :censored:e last year. Almost as embarrassing as the professional league end-of-season ridiculousness, which I note won't happen again this season.

I'm gonna enjoy my retirement but I still love the game. I'll probably just do a bit of quality punditry. The game needs opinions people can respect.

I can't believe you caved in to 24hours' dummy spitting over the season predictions. Like if the FA had given United a bye to the FA Cup semi finals when they wanted to piss about at the world club championship.

I can't believe you caved in to 24hours' dummy spitting over the season predictions. Like if the FA had given United a bye to the FA Cup semi finals when they wanted to piss about at the world club championship.

With hindsight, I don't think they really added anything and it was oversight on my part introducing something that dragged the competition out to the playoff games.

But don't mistake this for bowing to 24hours. If it was about him, I'd have kept them and spruced it up with predictions for all the domestic competitions!

With hindsight, I don't think they really added anything and it was oversight on my part introducing something that dragged the competition out to the playoff games.

But don't mistake this for bowing to 24hours. If it was about him, I'd have kept them and spruced it up with predictions for all the domestic competitions!

And chucked in the Europa League for good measure. Don't worry, rosa, this season's Prediction League will be EPIC.

I'll be amazed if Mr24's "retirement" isn't the shortest on record, with a swift return to the world of footie predicting.

Edited by Bristolatic

As a two-time champion and someone who lit up the prediction league with one maximum and one near-maximum, people see me as a guardian of predicting. You just don't get that status from cringey mid-table.

To be honest, I think the competition will become parochial and niche with little relevance to non-players as a result of last season's farce. Ultimately, I got in to predicting to entertain people. The game went in a different direction last season.

I didn't leave the most popular OAFC-based predicting game on OWTB - it left me. The suits had a chance to talk and didn't take it. That's game over as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy with my achievements and even happier to turn the page.

A big season for you. More questions than answers from last season as far as you're concerned, chief among which is: can you convert a decent start into a genuine title challenge? It's a question of do you have the stones more than anything else.

I have the stones to compete my learned friend. :boxer:

I have the stones to compete my learned friend. :boxer:

We'll see. In a much-depleted league in terms of quality, maybe you'll emerge from the lacklustre bunch. To be fair, it's there for the taking for the likes of youngen - players who aren't ruined by past failures or frightened of their own shadows because of the beatings they've taken off the quality.

Can I propose an amendment? How about cheaper entry and commensurately lower prize money for the second division mopes? Or is this another attack on the prestige of the professional game?

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

We'll see. In a much-depleted league in terms of quality, maybe you'll emerge from the lacklustre bunch. To be fair, it's there for the taking for the likes of youngen - players who aren't ruined by past failures or frightened of their own shadows because of the beatings they've taken off the quality.

Can I propose an amendment? How about cheaper entry and commensurately lower prize money for the second division mopes? Or is this another attack on the prestige of the professional game?

Propose amendments all you like, but if you aint taking part I would have thought that they will fall on deaf ears.

Whilst you may have a previous winners tag to your name, "no play, no say"

Propose amendments all you like, but if you aint taking part I would have thought that they will fall on deaf ears.

Whilst you may have a previous winners tag to your name, "no play, no say"

I was just proposing sensible administrative changes from the sidelines, in a position of no power or responsibility, in the manner of Geoff Boycott or Alan Shearer - fellow retired champions in their respective fields. I'm probably more able to speak for the players and the good of the game from the outside. THEY can't do anything to me now I'm retired, so I get to say what I want.

I was just proposing sensible administrative changes from the sidelines, in a position of no power or responsibility, in the manner of Geoff Boycott or Alan Shearer - fellow retired champions in their respective fields. I'm probably more able to speak for the players and the good of the game from the outside. THEY can't do anything to me now I'm retired, so I get to say what I want.

It's ok saying what you want. Getting people to, first, listen and,second, to agree is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Disgraced former champion whose retirement is nothing more than a tantrum at having missed out last time because the rules that were there from the outset were applied. Stick your suggestions up your corridor of uncertainty, Geoff.

Disgraced former champion whose retirement is nothing more than a tantrum at having missed out last time because the rules that were there from the outset were applied. Stick your suggestions up your corridor of uncertainty, Geoff.

I didn't miss out on anything. Took the title from all comers in the last day having led the field for half a season. Not a problem.