The season ahead

So with 2 pre season games done and dusted albeit against better opposition and 2 teams that were way ahead of us with regards to their pre-season, fitness & tactics.

As Latics fans are we optimistic about the coming season?

What else do we need with regards to players?

Has enough been seen by fans to say that Steve Robinson and his management team are likely to pull this club out of the doldrums and have us a top ten team or better come May?

I know it is far to early to make sweeping remarks based on what has been seen and after such little time with the players on the training pitch, but I would like to gauge fan opinion at this current stage.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what I have seen of Steve Robinson and believe he will do the best with what he's got. I like that we approached him and he isn't a recently retired footballer fancying his chances as a manager coz he has nothing else to do.

A few weeks ago I would of been delighted if you told me our squad would look like this at this stage. However we do need some more top creative players if we are going to have a good go and actually score some goals this year

Not seen any games due to location, so mainly going off comments from posters on here.

A left sided wing back / full back Danny Lafferty type.

Lack of creativity in the midfield and final third is a worry as is the lack of natural pace in the team.

A poacher to go alongside the big hardworking forwards we have.

Anyone disagree or have any other thoughts

So with 2 pre season games done and dusted albeit against better opposition and 2 teams that were way ahead of us with regards to their pre-season, fitness & tactics.

As Latics fans are we optimistic about the coming season?

What else do we need with regards to players?

Has enough been seen by fans to say that Steve Robinson and his management team are likely to pull this club out of the doldrums and have us a top ten team or better come May?

I know it is far to early to make sweeping remarks based on what has been seen and after such little time with the players on the training pitch, but I would like to gauge fan opinion at this current stage.

Too early to tell. Edited by TheBigDog

Not seen any games due to location, so mainly going off comments from posters on here.

A left sided wing back / full back Danny Lafferty type.

Lack of creativity in the midfield and final third is a worry as is the lack of natural pace in the team.

A poacher to go alongside the big hardworking forwards we have.

Anyone disagree or have any other thoughts

A left sided wing back / full back Danny Lafferty type.- Reckford is fine.

Lack of creativity in the midfield and final third is a worry as is the lack of natural pace in the team - Creativity and pace are needed.

A poacher to go alongside the big hardworking forwards we have. - McKay is the poacher, another striker needed though.

I think Ollie Banks is the creative player Robinson is hoping will produce, 1960. As much as I'd like to bring in reinforcements in that area, I think he's more likely to bring in a defensive minded or box-to-box man.

Maybe the trialist will be the pacy outlet. As a total unknown I wouldn't want to pin my hat on him doing anything, but the coaches will be getting a better look at him in training.

It's gonna be a long, hard season most probably. We've got just about enough to stay up again with a couple more in, but this league is going to be improved in all likelihood, so we'll struggle to make any kind of impact like Burton were able to.

Wherever we finish, I am genuinely more optimistic and excited at the fact we are going into the unknown with a full new set up.

If we're at the bottom, same old news, if we punch above our weight then it'll be a surprise for the league. Orient and Walsall did it the past 2 seasons, why not us this time?

Wherever we finish, I am genuinely more optimistic and excited at the fact we are going into the unknown with a full new set up.

If we're at the bottom, same old news, if we punch above our weight then it'll be a surprise for the league. Orient and Walsall did it the past 2 seasons, why not us this time?

Walsall had some serious talent last season. 3 or 4 quality players who could've got in any team in the division. I had them down to be play-off contenders before the season, so I don't think they particularly overachieved massively like it would take for us to do (or Burton did).

If the season started tomorrow with this current squad I'd be terrified and would have us down as being relegated by Christmas. Atleast 5 signings needed on top of what we have for us to be competitive even then I'm not expecting a particularly strong start to the season.

If the season started tomorrow with this current squad I'd be terrified and would have us down as being relegated by Christmas. Atleast 5 signings needed on top of what we have for us to be competitive even then I'm not expecting a particularly strong start to the season.

You may need a stiff drink then, Robinson indicates in his post-match interview he's looking for 2 more - a striker and a winger.

We've played two friendlies and 90% of squad arrived in the last week or so. Me need time for the squad to gel, to build fitness and to get accustomed to Robbo's tactics, formations etc.

Pre - season is a write-off for me; playing minutes under the belt of the players and build fitness as opposed to secure results.

Come October we'll see the true impact of recruitment and coaching....

You may need a stiff drink then, Robinson indicates in his post-match interview he's looking for 2 more - a striker and a winger.

Hopefully he is just being a bit coy about it and maybe their will be a few more than that as others have said it's early doors yet so it's going to be a while before we can properly judge.