Walsall, Saturday 13/8

Burgess got better as the game went on. Thought Ripley, Reckord, Clarke, Green and Fane looked very good at our level, still don't think there's many goals in the front two, another quality addition or two and we could get competitive, thought we pressed and broke play up superbly, Banks needs a bit more umph he seems to cruise around without doing too much but all in all you'd have to be quite pleased.

Thought you weren't going until pre season was over?

The most 0-0 you'll ever watch that today.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McLaughlin didn't look fit,surprised Croft wasn't preferred.

I was slightly surprised of the 2 I thought croft might have got on perhaps he might start Tuesday as I think we need a more attack minded midfielder to play alongside Green and Fane.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how solidly we looked defensively and Ripley does look a lot better than some of the other young keeper's we've loaned from prem clubs in the past.

We are still a work in progress and I think their is plenty of room for improvement but their was some encouraging signs today.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Very pleasing. McKay will score goals. Erwin surprisingly quick when he gets going. Klok can definitely play. Fane excellent. Best thing was they were all willing to turn and run with the ball.

Cheese and onion pie was lovely.

Chaddy seemed to have regained some of his vim and vigour

Don't get this Klok appreciation society that has built up pre season etc.

Awful today, 3 yards off the pace and when he was up with it he spent most of the time on his arse.

Waste of a player so far and not needed in a team with Green & Fane.

Awful today, 3 yards off the pace and when he was up with it he spent most of the time on his arse.

He was quite poor today, but was decent in previous appearances. Lets not start crucifying players and writing them off on one bad showing.

Burgess got better as the game went on. Thought Ripley, Reckord, Clarke, Green and Fane looked very good at our level, still don't think there's many goals in the front two, another quality addition or two and we could get competitive, thought we pressed and broke play up superbly, Banks needs a bit more umph he seems to cruise around without doing too much but all in all you'd have to be quite pleased.

Bloody hell !

But you're about right .

Yep klok struggled. Edited by welshgaz

I thought Klock was a bit off the pace today compared to Tuesday when he was full throttle and in their face. He has had an injury so maybe Saturday, Tuesday at the same pace is a too much to ask for at the moment.

He can obviously play though and could turn out to be a great find.

1st viewing of the team today and was pleasantly surprised. A really good game of football that neither team deserved to lose. Once everyone is 100% firing I think we'll have the makings of a very good side.

If Fane can improve his 1st touch and his decision making, which should come with more games and experience, club scouts will be flocking to BP and we could end up making a serious amount of money on him. If I had to choose between him and Kelly I'd pick Fane every time, he's made the transition into league football look very easy and his potential is frightening.

Ripley, Clarke, Reckford, Green and Erwin played well and all look solid players. It's early days yet but the signs are encouraging that we could finally be challenging teams in the top six rather than the bottom.

Edited by oafc1955

Very pleasing. McKay will score goals. Erwin surprisingly quick when he gets going. Klok can definitely play. Fane excellent. Best thing was they were all willing to turn and run with the ball.

It's a glorious sight when Fane gets going. Far easier on the eye than his passing, anyhow. Him and Green did excellently to keep us up the pitch, pressing high. Green could be crucial for us.

Not sure what Klok brought to the table today though. Wonder whether he could be sacrificed for somebody with a bit more creativity...

Fane is 85% legs.

Which I won't mind too much oggling at on a cold winters night at BP, I like a nice pair of legs on show..haha, usually distracts me from the footy

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised and a decent match think we will do okay an added bonus tonight is the we are of the bottom of table. Onwards and upwards now.

Edited by underdog

First time I've seen them play this season and first impressions I get is that we look very solid midfield and defence, the tactic is obviously to hit teams on the counter we just lacked that finishing touch today, 90% of the players put in a good shift, pleased with the pressing from the front and everyone getting stuck in. We need to make BP a fortress because we've been rubbish at home for years. I think McKay and Erwin could work, Erwin very unlucky not to score with his header on Flynss rebound. Pleased with the additions look like we have a solid squad now with options all over. Reckord, Fane, Clarke, Green, Flynn and Erwin look like really good players for this level

Not that I and many others would notice but I am sure that "Underdog" would appreciate the 85% legs

I also noticed our gk is a bit tidy from behind....well behind in the frizzell stand that is. Well being a lady and all if it's on show I'm going to oggle.

Like I'm going to oggle at mr linekar later on tonight if he is still going to complete his bet on MOTD. Presenting in his underwear. Hope he has kept those thighs the same shape he did in the 80's..helllooooo

Edited by underdog

Really encouraging couple of displays. Loads of effort and commitment. Some very good individual performances. Clarke and Green provide leadership. Ripley looked good. Solid full-baks. Fane is a very promising footballer. Team spirit coming through. I think we still lack a bit of pace and we don't look entirely balanced in midfield, but this is much better than 12 months ago (already). I thought we'd take a few more weeks before even starting to take shape.

Well done to the Walsall fans. Very respectful during the minutes applause.

First game in 5 years for me,due to illness, and really enjoyed the obvious desire to play football and agree Clarke and fane are quality.

Bonus was the sight of woody, still walking like a full back, looking over his shoulder, and Hicks looking every inch the centre half of old.

Agree with previous posters re the cheese and onion pie.

If the scouts come looking for Fane, the club should tell them to do one. It's about time some of the exciting prospects were allowed to come to fruition at Latics and benefit the team...but we all know that will not be the case.

Until it happens we shouldn't worry about it.

Guest nonaenever

Thought it was a "reasonable" performance but I`m not as excited as some. Fane will probably play at Premier League level one day - coached correctly he has all the attributes to be a terrific player - an excellent find and well done. Distribution from the back was poor - which kept putting us under pressure. Not at all convinced about Law at full back (but it's early days) and just cannot agree that McKay looks as though he has goals in him. Erwin's close control was excellent - someone with killer speed feeding off him is required - and he should bag a few himself.

Work in progress, obviously, and I may start to relax when a) we score a few and B) we get our first league win.

If the scouts come looking for Fane, the club should tell them to do one. It's about time some of the exciting prospects were allowed to come to fruition at Latics and benefit the team...but we all know that will not be the case.

Any scout looking at Fane would tear his performance apart...