Walsall, Saturday 13/8

Come off it Patrick. He has the makings of a potentially unplayable footballer. I'm excited to watch him.

He does but he also has some issues with his game which need working on. There is a reason clubs like Birmingham didn't take a chance in him yet however is exactly the type of talent we should be risking.

A scout would see all sorts of reasons not to predict a premier league future but he has potential.

But then he's only played 2 league games!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it was a "reasonable" performance but I`m not as excited as some. Fane will probably play at Premier League level one day - coached correctly he has all the attributes to be a terrific player - an excellent find and well done. Distribution from the back was poor - which kept putting us under pressure. Not at all convinced about Law at full back (but it's early days) and just cannot agree that McKay looks as though he has goals in him. Erwin's close control was excellent - someone with killer speed feeding off him is required - and he should bag a few himself.

Work in progress, obviously, and I may start to relax when a) we score a few and B) we get our first league win.

More relief, than excitement, that we actually show some promise. I keep thinking about Blackpool last season. They had a similar close season and just couldn't get going. Walsall have a few quick, tidy (and quite small) players. We competed and are at least staring to look like a team. Very soon, all things considered. But we do need pace a better balance.

As has been said, Fane is raw, but you really can see the potential. Better than Dieng? Green better than Kelly? Klock better than...Dunne?

It's too early to talk about Fane playing at the top level or getting a big fee we shouldn't be over hyping a player like that. He did well today but nothing conclusive to say where he will go.

Fane will play at a higher level you just can just tell even after a couple of games thought the same about Matt Smith after seeing in a pre season game against Mossley

Fane offers something we haven't seen for some time, a ball winning holding midfielder who can also drive forward.

He needs to work on his first touch and distribution, but he's in a team of strangers and should settle down before too long.

He's one we need to keep hold of and not sell for a small quick profit IMO.

I was also impressed with Erwin's work rate and skill on the ball, he looks better dropping off deep than a target man and maybe not the ideal strike partner for MacKay. Hopefully they will gel the more games they have together and better service from the right flank in particular.

On the question of my man Burgess, he's playing too hurridly at the moment in possesion and not clearing the ball properly, he's still learning the game though and I expect this aspect to improve game by game as the team gels.

I remember many years years ago we had a centre back very similar in Allan Hunter who early in his early days made some scratchy clearances, he went on to have a fine career.

Edited by BP1960

Fane offers something we haven't seen for some time, a ball winning holding midfielder who can also drive forward.

He needs to work on his first touch and distribution, but he's in a team of strangers and should settle down before too long.

He's one we need to keep hold of and not sell for a small quick profit IMO.

I was also impressed with Erwin's work rate and skill on the ball, he looks better dropping off deep than a target man and maybe not the ideal strike partner for MacKay. Hopefully they will gel the more games the have together and better service from the right flank in particular.

On the question of my man Burgess, he's playing too hurridly at the moment in possesion and not clearing the ball properly, he's still learning the game though and I expect this aspect to improve game by game as the team gels.

I remember many years years ago we had a centre back very similar in Allan Hunter who early in his early days made some scratchy clearances, he went on to have a fine career.

Erwin showed some sublime touches and looked to have good technical skills. Promising display.

Any scout looking at Fane would tear his performance apart...

Absolutely agree.

There's a lot of overreaction about how good he is. He does a very good headless chicken routine, and can run with the ball, which I like a lot and sets his apart from Kelly, but there were a lot of edges to sharpen.

Absolutely agree.

There's a lot of overreaction about how good he is. He does a very good headless chicken routine, and can run with the ball, which I like a lot and sets his apart from Kelly, but there were a lot of edges to sharpen.

How old is he?

Absolutely agree.

He's just come from non league football and its a big step up, of course there are edges to sharpen but if he was the finished article he wouldn't be here! The potential is there for all to see and he will get better and better with each passing game.

• 4 months later...