Why are fans being ripped off for paying "on the day" ?

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

This disgusting policy that's crept in of charging fans more for paying on the day is surely financial suicide for clubs?. Can anybody provide a logical explanation? It was a fiver extra for paying on the day today at Bradford (I`ve been working down south all week) - and I understand Latics have a similar policy. Surely clubs should be trying to attract the "floating/casual" supporter who thinks, "Nice weather, I think I`ll pop down to watch a match today."

There needs to be a petition or something (maybe the Trust can do something constructive here?) - with the way things are this season, I can't see us getting over 4,000 home fans for any league game with a pricing policy that is utterly ridiculous.

And please - not everyone has the internet or even wants to be bothered buying tickets in advance (in case something crops up and they can't go). Also, for a lot of Latics fans travelling across Oldham to Boundary Park for a ticket is a pain. Why not have authorised ticket outlets in a few pubs in, say, Uppermill, Lees, Shaw, Oldham town centre etc.

Anything to try and get some fans back - the number of people I know who didn't buy a season ticket and who refuse to pay £24 on the day is scary - we must be losing a small fortune over a season.

Clubs may describe it as a discount for buying in advance rather than a premium for paying on the day

I'm not condoning it by any means but football isn't the only world where two tier pricing can be wrapped up by phrases

Many local authorities charge more for non residents to use leisure services or car parks but say that's the standard price with residents given a "discount". I know - I was involved in such a decision in the 90s

could it be down to stewarding/policE costs? .. ie if they know before hand how many turn up they know how many of the above they need! if they have to work it out on the day so to speak, then they probably have to over police it? .. so they hammer the pay on the days to try and eradicate it or to pay the extra costings??

This disgusting policy that's crept in of charging fans more for paying on the day is surely financial suicide for clubs?. Can anybody provide a logical explanation? It was a fiver extra for paying on the day today at Bradford (I`ve been working down south all week) - and I understand Latics have a similar policy. Surely clubs should be trying to attract the "floating/casual" supporter who thinks, "Nice weather, I think I`ll pop down to watch a match today."

Works both ways though. If someone pays in advance, the club are guaranteed their money when they decide not to turn up because it's pissing down...

...particularly beneficial in Oldham.

There's no excuse for fleecing the fans like this.

It's another step forward for the modern game. Fans need an effective body to lobby for their interests, especially for football league supporters. It's beginning to get ridiculous.

They know fans will pay, just like they do every season for overpriced replica football kits.

I'm more concerned about the idea of allocated seating. Causes nothing but problems

Not with 'big clubs' it doesn't.

They just ignore the allocated seats. Kids, elderly and sit down merchants down the front. Idiots, lads and singsong merchants at the back.

Sadly, we have too many IvepaidforthisseatsoIwillsitinthisseat merchants for such common sense to prevail.

To my mind it costs money to handle cash

. Based on "my" assumptions

a) Cost of having floats to give out change on the turnstile Banks charge for change

b Cost of banking the takings.I believe that banks charge for "banking" cash

c) Costs involved in getting receipts from a ground to the bank Security company

d) On match days it must be much easier to scan tickets and arrive at an attendance figure quicker and accurately hence less staffing costs

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head

Edited by another fan

Not with 'big clubs' it doesn't.

They just ignore the allocated seats. Kids, elderly and sit down merchants down the front. Idiots, lads and singsong merchants at the back.

Sadly, we have too many IvepaidforthisseatsoIwillsitinthisseat merchants for such common sense to prevail.

It kills me a bit that our fans continue to take any notice of it.

It kills me a bit that our fans continue to take any notice of it.

You see them at any away game of ours. Usually arrive at 2.59 and immediately look for a steward to guide them to their seat. Ticket in hand like they're at the Odeon. Never mind that there's hundreds of empty seats.

To my mind it costs money to handle cash

. Based on "my" assumptions

a) Cost of having floats to give out change on the turnstile Banks charge for change

b Cost of banking the takings.I believe that banks charge for "banking" cash

c) Costs involved in getting receipts from a ground to the bank Security company

d) On match days it must be much easier to scan tickets and arrive at an attendance figure quicker and accurately hence less staffing costs

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head

e) cost of lost income by fraud/theft (funny how many under 12's go through Bobs turnstile)

When did it become apparent to fans that it would be £5 extra for pay on the day?

For many it won't be worth going to the club to pick up a ticket to save £5. However, a lot of people who go to away games will also go to home games regularly. Clubs presumably know it will be extra for POTD weeks/month in advance, there is an element that says we should have been told it would be extra for POTD before the Northampton game (our most recent home game).

I await at least one person to say ring them up to get a ticket sent to you/Bradford. I'm not a big fan of giving my details over the phone for a seat I might not be sitting in and I wasn't 100% sure I was going to go so the extra £5 wasn't a hardship.

Edited by rudemedic

e) cost of lost income by fraud/theft (funny how many under 12's go through Bobs turnstile)

Again just my thoughts but

1) I believe ticket holders may use any relevant turnstile entering to the part of the ground for it was purchased. Hence you may see adults concessions and juniors all having their tickets scanned at the same gate

2) I also understand that there were complaints in previous seasons where parents were reluctant to let their UNDER 12 children through a different gate.As a consequence adult turnstiles are allowed to admit these at the junior price. The Club does monitor the number of junior

I bought a £20 ticket online and as I don't live near Oldham I decided to pick up the ticket from Bradford's ticket office. It said on the order receipt I could do that.

The ticket was not there so I had to pay £25 to get in.

A refund claim has gone in to Latics and Bradford but it's just hassle I could do without.

I bought a £20 ticket online and as I don't live near Oldham I decided to pick up the ticket from Bradford's ticket office. It said on the order receipt I could do that.

A refund claim has gone in to Latics and Bradford but it's just hassle I could do without.

Very odd

Of course £24 is far too expensive to watch the bottom half of L1 and I can’t see many paying it. The club don’t expect/want you to pay it. That is why they have offered season tickets for £13 per game. That’s 11 free games for the season in relation the £24 per game. You would have to miss 12 games to make it unprofitable, 10 if you took out a loan to buy the ST.

Every one of the clubs circa 3,500 regulars has differing circumstances of some sort. The club cannot be expected to cater for every fan circumstance.

The £24 charge would soon disappear if no one paid it together with not buying the £20 ticket either. In reality I would expect the majority of casually regular supporters don’t mind the inconvenience of buying on-line/phone and collecting their ticket match day or the trip to BP mid-week to buy one. There’s a lot to be said for not being committed to the club over the last 6yrs. But anything is better than paying £24 on match day and those that do will be well able to afford it for the convenience it affords them, IMO.

Every one of the clubs circa 3,500 regulars has differing circumstances of some sort. The club cannot be expected to cater for every fan circumstance.

The £24 charge would soon disappear if no one paid it together with not buying the £20 ticket either. In reality I would expect the majority of casually regular supporters dont mind the inconvenience of buying on-line/phone and collecting their ticket match day or the trip to BP mid-week to buy one. Theres a lot to be said for not being committed to the club over the last 6yrs. But anything is better than paying £24 on match day and those that do will be well able to afford it for the convenience it affords them, IMO.

Eh?

If you book online earlier enough you would be better having tickets posted to your home address.

Edited by BP1960