• Green
    • Fane
    • Ladapo
    • Mckay
    • Erwin
    • Osei
    • Klok

A Charlton fans view. Sounds familiar.

Charlton were completely outplayed last night by Oldham who really should have won by 2 or 3 clear goals. No disrespect is meant to Oldham, but I suspect at the end of the season they will still be near the relegation zone. That doesn’t augur well for us , does it ? For the last 20 minutes last night, Oldham had all the possession, pinned us back in our half and created numerous chances.

Comparisons between seasons and teams is always very difficult, but I am struggling to recall a worse Charlton team in the last 50 years. It is true that we have some talented players. Last night, for example young Konza demonstrated why he and Lookman will both will be leaving soon.

Bauer , Holmes & Magennis look OK. The biggest problem that anyone can see is that the central midfield of Jackson, Crofts, Foley , Ulvestadt is completely lacking in creativity, power, pace and energy. Lookman excepted , the goal threat up top is also almost non existent.

So with no goals from midfield, not much of a goal threat up front, virtually no link up play, we resort to kicking it long to the big man who has no support.

I don’t know who is responsible for this mess. I like Slade, he seems to be honest and straightforward and at least he doesn’t speak in riddles like Luzon/Riga/Fraeye. I hope that he stays and turns it around, but with the midfield playing staff currently available to him , it seems unlikely. The club knew that we were going to lose Cousins and Gudmundson and in the event we also lost Diarra and Harriot. Kashi is injured and Ba is out of favour which means that our midfield picks itself with 3 or 4 guys , none of whom will be playing for us next season.

Since we cannot get players in until January, it looks like a very bleak Autumn is in store unless a Regan Charles Cook or someone else from the Under 23s steps up like Poyet did a couple of years ago.