Tommy Wright Bung Allegations

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough if they're exposing people already up to no good but this all looks wholly manufactured by them.

I trust they'll be releasing all the footage of the football people who didn't fall for their :censored:........?

Yeah, journos creating stories.

Whilst I accept they do wrong because they fall for it, feels wrong because it's all staged.

The structure of the investigation took the format of two meetings, if the individual was uncomfortable with the premise and the tone of the first encounter, then they should have not engaged in the second much longer meeting. Reading the transcripts it appears that there was no encouragement, just pure greed for more money. They've been caught.

The structure of the investigation took the format of two meetings, if the individual was uncomfortable with the premise and the tone of the first encounter, then they should have not engaged in the second much longer meeting. Reading the transcripts it appears that there was no encouragement, just pure greed for more money. They've been caught.

Three meetings! Completely agree though, this wasn't a spur of the moment mistake or a deceitfully constructed trap. This was simply "we'll give you ten grand to do something morally and legally ambiguous" and he said yes, and got caught.

I'm not saying any one of us could say, with confidence, we'd not be seduced by the same idea, but it doesn't make it right.

We praise managers for getting deals done and criticise when they aren't able to or don't have the contacts. This type of thing puts the whole process into murky territory.

Johnson and Wright pulled off a lot of deals when they were here (obviously their success rate was hit and miss) and it was almost certainly down to having good contacts, but this adds a level of uncertainty to any manager who has the wherewithal to bring in a whole host of players.

In this case though we're more likely to be the team that Wright was fed up with travelling 600 miles to find budget deals.

I was gutted when Tommy Wright left in 1989, he'd been one of our better players during the run in to the 1987 Play Offs and was visibly distraught when Keith Edwards' late goal saw us knocked out on away goals to his former employer.

At the time it felt like his leaving was jumping ship. He was however replaced by Rick Holden. We then had the season of our lives before getting promoted the following year and he missed out in the play offs twice at Leicester. He jumped ship on Leicester to go to Middlesbrough and then Leciester went up, which amused me at the time.

I was ambivalent to him when he returned as a player in 1997, he didn't make much of an impact and it was very brief.

I warned to him again when he returned as Shez's assistant and had us competing at the top end of the league and I didn't blame him for following him to Chesterfield given Shez's acrimonious exit.

When he found himself out of work and we approached him to assist LJ, I thought what a fabulous fit. A young inexperienced manager supported by an assistant with a track record and an affinity / relationship with the club.

Whether they were sold or gladly left together, following their celebrations at Barnsley's victory at BP, it didn't feel particularly respectful of the fact we have employed him on 4 separate occasions. I therefore deduced he wasn't a particularly nice man, which is proven to be true by the Daily Telegraph.

There are plenty of other characters in football, I'd have thought much more likely to get involved in this type of thing than Tommy, including a few who have strong links with us. I wonder who will be next ?

I also wonder how they picked who to target with the stings. At the moment it looks more like they have targeted the specific agents (McGarvey and the Italian guy) so it's the people with links to them who are getting exposed.

Fair enough if they're exposing people already up to no good but this all looks wholly manufactured by them.

I trust they'll be releasing all the footage of the football people who didn't fall for their :censored:........?

I don't have any sympathy. I found one of the most distasteful things about the Allardyce affair his statement that entrapment had won, implying that he didn't really take responsibility for any of it. It's their willingness to engage in this :censored: that's put them where they are. The greed, especially in Big Sam's case, is incredible.

One way to stop this is for the inland revenue to get involved and examine the bank accounts - including offshore, of those suspected.

The other is for the FA to stop turning a blind eye to sharp practices, including making goody bags offered to them by sponsors illegal.

I don't have any sympathy. I found one of the most distasteful things about the Allardyce affair his statement that entrapment had won, implying that he didn't really take responsibility for any of it. It's their willingness to engage in this :censored: that's put them where they are. The greed, especially in Big Sam's case, is incredible.

Sam walks away with £1m for being greedy and corrupt.

You couldn't make it up.