Rochdale Match

Hi

Dale fan in total humility (I know our crowds are rubbish and our history is worse before anyone says it).

Just thought I'd begin the match thread for thee.

Personally, I think it will be a draw.

You seem quite resolute in defence despite your paucity of goals. P Clarke seems to be your King Canute; he will be looking to have a better game than when he last appeared at Spotland (he and Bury were comically bad). I really don't know much else about your players apart form what some of you post on here but as long as they don't do a Bury and try to maim any of ours, it appears you have the battling qualities to eke out a point.

Our opening few games didn't reflect how well we'd done in pre-season but the recent six game winning run has steadied the ship. That said, we've lost the last two and aren't that far ahead of yourselves - I think we'll be mid-table towards the end of the season.

Put all that in the predictometer, add a couple of thousand from Oldham and it's got 1-1 written all over it.

Couple more points:

1. I think the best thing for Latics is to get relegated, regroup and return to Div 3 with a new hope. Too many false dawns in this division sees you in a limboland that's eroding your club.

2. However bad it gets, be thankful you're not Bury. Their overspending will crash down on them sooner rather than later and I hope they get smashed to smithereens for it.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I think the best thing for Latics is to get relegated, regroup and return to Div 3 with a new hope. Too many false dawns in this division sees you in a limboland that's eroding your club.

What a strange thing to say from a supporter of a club which spent 60(?) years in that very division...

I'd have no more hope of being promoted from L2 as I do being promoted from L1

1. Going down has no guarantee of coming back up you should know that as Dale fan how long did it take you to get promoted?

2. We'll let's just see what happens their it could go either way. From our point of view the frustration is that we have stagnated for far too long. So seeing Bury and yourselfs do better than right now kind of hurts.

Who wants relegation.Shez worked wonders last season and we do not want that again but we need consistency and players giving it their all each time they put on an Oldham shirt.Too many not giving it their all apart from the odd game eg Scunthorpe.

Would love to see even a half fit Gerrard alongside Clarke both putting the fear of God to anyone not putting a shift in and steadying the defence.

Looking forward to a better showing at Crochdale and a good day to for our fans

Hi

Dale fan in total humility (I know our crowds are rubbish and our history is worse before anyone says it).

Just thought I'd begin the match thread for thee.

Personally, I think it will be a draw.

You seem quite resolute in defence despite your paucity of goals. P Clarke seems to be your King Canute; he will be looking to have a better game than when he last appeared at Spotland (he and Bury were comically bad). I really don't know much else about your players apart form what some of you post on here but as long as they don't do a Bury and try to maim any of ours, it appears you have the battling qualities to eke out a point.

Our opening few games didn't reflect how well we'd done in pre-season but the recent six game winning run has steadied the ship. That said, we've lost the last two and aren't that far ahead of yourselves - I think we'll be mid-table towards the end of the season.

Put all that in the predictometer, add a couple of thousand from Oldham and it's got 1-1 written all over it.

Couple more points:

2. However bad it gets, be thankful you're not Bury. Their overspending will crash down on them sooner rather than later and I hope they get smashed to smithereens for it.

**** off.

Ignore the bigots, Dog. It's nice to see Rochdale doing OK. Its just not so nice seeing them doing so much better than us a club.

Agree, it's annoying to see a well run club down the road when we keep doing everything on the cheap.

Still, a win on Saturday and we'll forget the problems for a bit.

Having Shez in last year I really wanted us to survive as I felt we could give promotion our best possible shot this season if he stayed (like Hill at Dale, some clubs and managers just fit). It still would've probably been top half at best but the feel good factor was there.

Now though I'd prefer it if we stayed up but I can take it or leave it. Hope of realistic progress was all but extinguished when Shez went and continually treading water at this level isn't fun. 20 consecutive years (8 straight bottom half finishes) is enough for me and League Two isn't that scary. Our budget would be average at worst at that level and as long as we aren't awfully run (which I'll admit is possible) we won't go down again.

I do love a bit of Monday morning optimism!

Fill your boots with the 11/8 to get relegated, if it happens you will have a few quid to drown your sorrows.

For the more optimistic of you 40/1 for a top 6 finish might appeal especially if big Ant signs this week and has the same effect as last season, or even 6/1 for a top half spot.

When we go down this season it may be a blessing in disguise IF we have a go at coming back up, if Corney again wants to cut the cloth accordingly we could be the next Stockport.

What do you think is the most likely outcome if we go down?

Their is no reason to suggest that taking a step down to league 2 will result in us going forwards and their is no reason to suggest that staying in this division can at some point lead to us getting forward momentum and progressing. Although I think we all acknowledge things will have to change significantly at the club for that to happen.

We convinced ourselves of this back in the mid-nineties and we've been in this division ever since (slowly getting worse, year-on-year, for the most part). Getting relegated certainly won't halt the erosion of our club.

I don't think your prediction for the game will be far off though. I can see Rochdale sneaking a playoff spot this season.