Paul Futcher

Wasn't he at Bury with flitcroft?

Rip

Not sure but his son Ben was ( still is?)

Jeez I forgot Ben played for us as well, 2 brothers and a son - I hope our club can do an official representation somehow at the funeral

Edited by Stagger Lee

Strewth!

Very sad indeed - one of the first of a long line of classy CB that we had during the 80's and 90's. Came close to getting an England cap when he was with us I seem to recall

My thoughts and best wishes to his family

Is it really true that he was called up twice and both times was involved in a car crash that meant he couldn't join the England squad?!

A pal of mine is a Barnsley fan , and he always said that Paul was the rock their stay in Division 2 alongside ourselves was based upon.

Been reading various forums and newspapers on the internet since the news broke , and there are so many fans and clubs out there he played for or managed who hold him up as a 'legend' , some tribute.

Very fine player. I met him in McDonalds on Market Street in Manchester a couple of days after he'd been sold to Derby. I told him how sorry i was he was leaving and he said he felt the same. He said that he didn't want to go but Derby had made a bid and the club accepted so he had to go.

Very fine player. I met him in McDonalds on Market Street in Manchester a couple of days after he'd been sold to Derby. I told him how sorry i was he was leaving and he said he felt the same. He said that he didn't want to go but Derby had made a bid and the club accepted so he had to go.

Shows how times have changed , these days player would tell Derby where to go and tell the club he WANTS to sign for Leicester !!!!

Absolutely class defender, playing alongside Kenny Clements they were an excellent centre half pairing, Paul Futcher was an elegant, cultured player in the Richard Jobson mould.

His twin brother Ron was not quite as cultured as Paul but was very effective and an excellent goal scorer for us.

Rest in peace Paul, a class act

• 2 months later...

Like Ernie Cooksey, Paul died from skin cancer, and the PFA has joined with Melanoma UK to launch the ‘Paul Futcher Fund’, in an attempt to raise awareness of the disease. As part of its provision of support for clubs across the country, Melanoma UK will be visiting Latics, to teach players about the dangers of skin cancer and how to check for irregularities.

Melanoma, the most aggressive form of skin cancer, is on the increase in the UK with over 14,000 cases diagnosed in 2015, leading to 2,200 deaths.