Oxford

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oxford looked poor against Macclesfield.

poor isn't the word I would have used!

We have been in good form in the previous 3 league games so don't know why we played so c**p. I have a feeling that Saturday will be a decent game after both teams results/performances in the cup.

I have a feeling though that home advantage for us might be the difference

We have been in good form in the previous 3 league games so don't know why we played so c**p.

Have seen this crop up a few times.. We took 2 points and one of those was a 95th minute equalizer... I wouldn't say we played well... 20-30 mins half decent per game I'd say Edited by Fruitygoo

How does Banks stay off lists like these?

If he's a deep lying midfielder, he needs to want the ball a hell of a lot more, attempt to control the pace of the game and intercept. He does none of the above. Green alongside him was equally poor last night. If Robbo is looking to name players who avoided the ball it's those two, Reckord and the dreadful Burgess. Erwin didn't want it until the last 20 either. Yet time and time again it's Winchester who is the easy scapegoat. His mistake was when he had the ball so he certainly wasn't avoiding it. Looked to do something whenever he got it and had the best effort prior to being removed. Was he good? No! however, there were far worse players in blue, beginning with the floppy haired soft-as Ollie Banks.

Edited by eyres_28

How does Banks stay off lists like these?

If he's a deep lying midfielder, he needs to want the ball a hell of a lot more, attempt to control the pace of the game and intercept. He does none of the above. Green alongside him was equally poor last night. If Robbo is looking to name players who avoided the ball it's those two, Reckord and the dreadful Burgess. Erwin didn't want it until the last 20 either. Yet time and time again it's Winchester who is the easy scapegoat. His mistake was when he had the ball so he certainly wasn't avoiding it. Looked to do something whenever he got it and had the best effort prior to being removed. Was he good? No! however, there were far worse players in blue, beginning with the floppy haired soft-as Ollie Banks.

Whilst I agree regarding Banks being poor, your assessment of Winchester appears to viewed with Winchester tinted glasses. Along with Reckord, he was shocking. The pass which led to the goal was a basic schoolboy error, all he had to do was lift the ball over the Lincoln player for Dummigan to have a clear run....instead their forward moved one step and intercepted. I don't think for one minute he is being considered a scapegoat, more likely whatever he's doing in training is not shining through in a competitive match.

Whilst I agree regarding Banks being poor, your assessment of Winchester appears to viewed with Winchester tinted glasses. Along with Reckord, he was shocking. The pass which led to the goal was a basic schoolboy error, all he had to do was lift the ball over the Lincoln player for Dummigan to have a clear run....instead their forward moved one step and intercepted. I don't think for one minute he is being considered a scapegoat, more likely whatever he's doing in training is not shining through in a competitive match.

While I agree that Winchester was poor, these kind of mistakes happen from time-to-time. Even the best players make them - it's actually uncharacteristic of Winchester to give the ball away because by my reckoning he is probably the most efficient player in the side at retaining possession.

Banks is a decent ball-player, but he needed to dictate the game on Monday. We were so sloppy and erratic in possession - his job was to calm us down and control our tempo, which he couldn't do. He clearly made the wrong decisions.

He's not a small lad either. Reckon he could've tried to cut off more of their bombardment than he did, as well.

Banks is a decent ball-player, but he needed to dictate the game on Monday. We were so sloppy and erratic in possession - his job was to calm us down and control our tempo, which he couldn't do. He clearly made the wrong decisions.

He's not a small lad either. Reckon he could've tried to cut off more of their bombardment than he did, as well.

I think the problem we saw on Monday was that in recent weeks Banks was allowed to play a more attacking role knowing that Fane was behind him. Against Lincoln, Green was up with McLaughlin and leaving our centre backs exposed. The choice of players and their formation is the responsibility of the management team.

Going back to a 23 year old Winchester, at what age do we stop talking about potential? In my mind, he has had enough chances to make his mark on the game and yet nothing changes. I can only see the many poor aspects of his game overwhelming the few good parts. Would I give him a new contract next time round...absolutely not as I think the meagre resources we have at the club would be better spent giving an opportunity to one of Tony Philliskirk's kids.

I think the problem we saw on Monday was that in recent weeks Banks was allowed to play a more attacking role knowing that Fane was behind him. Against Lincoln, Green was up with McLaughlin and leaving our centre backs exposed. The choice of players and their formation is the responsibility of the management team.

Going back to a 23 year old Winchester, at what age do we stop talking about potential? In my mind, he has had enough chances to make his mark on the game and yet nothing changes. I can only see the many poor aspects of his game overwhelming the few good parts. Would I give him a new contract next time round...absolutely not as I think the meagre resources we have at the club would be better spent giving an opportunity to one of Tony Philliskirk's kids.

Totally agree on Winchester. I'm hopeful he can prove wrong the critics but if he doesn't it's time to part ways. However I'm not going to get too critical over one uncharacteristic mistake.

And yep, the midfield hasn't been properly balanced since the first few games of the season when Fane and Green were both playing well. Fane swept up and made surges forward while Green pressed high and controlled the game - since then both have been poor and it's been one of the reasons we've suffered.

If Banks could get better at the defensive side of the game we wouldn't need a Fane-type. Korey Smith is the sort of player he should aim to emulate - he didn't necessarily chase around like Kelly did or Fane does, he just sat back read what was ahead of him.

Guaranteed plucky draw or win, then a handful of tame losses after.

Team will be changed massively. Out: Reckord, Ladapo, Winchester, Green, Dummigan(?), Erwin

Given that this is my nearest away fixture this season, I (along with two others) will be making the relatively short trip to the Kassam for this one.

I expect to see Dummigan and Wilson as full backs with Fane and Flynn restored to the middle, Croft to start and McKay up front.

No Winchester, Reckord, Green, Ladapo or Erwin in the eleven.

Team: Ripley, Dummigan, Clarke, Burgess, Wilson, McGlaughlin, Banks, Fane, Croft, Flynn, McKay.

I plan to enjoy the day and get behind the team. Beer should help...

Given that this is my nearest away fixture this season, I (along with two others) will be making the relatively short trip to the Kassam for this one.

I expect to see Dummigan and Wilson as full backs with Fane and Flynn restored to the middle, Croft to start and McKay up front.

No Winchester, Reckord, Green, Ladapo or Erwin in the eleven.

Team: Ripley, Dummigan, Clarke, Burgess, Wilson, McGlaughlin, Banks, Fane, Croft, Flynn, McKay.

I plan to enjoy the day and get behind the team. Beer should help...

I expect Law to replace Dummingham, Law was just showing some good form and he's dropped for the Lincoln game. Team spirit can't be helped when several who did well at Port Vale are left out.

For those expecting Green to be dropped, dont hold your breath!

Would of heavy 3-0 loss on Saturday see the end of Robbo?

That result is not out of the realm of possibility and Oxford will go for the kill after seeing the way we start games.

Quote...."There were players who hid from the ball. It was blatantly obvious they didn't want the ball when the going got tough, so they won't play for me again."

So changes indicate who these are?

We will see against Oxford, but I reckon some who were poorer against Lincoln than "they will never play again' will be in the starting line up.

Like Big Dog I'm thinking about going as I live in Cheltenham, so not far away. I must need my head examining after Monday night, but surely we can't be that bad again, can we?

If Ladapo plays and repeats his mannequin selfie impersonation, I may have to invade the pitch and give him a red card.

Ripley

Dummigan

Clarke

Burgess

Wilson (if fit)

McLaughlin

Fane

Flynn (if fit)

Croft

Jahraldo Martin (if fit - novel idea - a left footed player on the left wing)

McKay

An attacking 4-5-1. Croft and Flynn between them would keep the ball and create from the centre of the field. Fane can do the dirty work. McLaughlin and CJM stay wide and get their boots white