The January Window

Ripley

Dummigan - X - Clarke - X

Mclaughlin - X - Flynn - X - X

X

All of those spots with an X are contested and need improving, for me.

Realistically we can't bring in six new starting players in January so we'll have to be selective. Maximum of 4 positions will be replaced, I'd imagine.

For me, that's a new striker as number one priority, then a centre mid, then a left back, then a left winger. Think Burgess/Wilson will just about do as the back two.

Unfortunately I think Robinson sees our centre mid options as adequate, and Flynn as a left mid, so will rule out adding to them areas.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Robinson thinks that our centre mid options are adequate then he is wrong 2 centre Mids 1 who can actually pass a ball and 2 strikers 1 that can play as a target man and hold the ball are a minimum.

I think we should at least enquire about Chris Taylor if he is still not catching at Bolton. I'd actually be ok with us going with the current back 5 if it means a better quality of strikers/midfielders. It's the lack of goals that is sending us down.

Players out who would be easy to shift

Ladapo

Klok

Jahraldo-Martin

Burgess (I can see a case for keeping him but I'm sure there are better options available.)

Players who should go but might be harder to shift

Reckord

Winchester

Erwin

Mckay

Keep until the end of the season

Croft

Dunne

That would leave us with a squad of 14, plus Edmundson, Mantack and Stott to fill in when needed. The squad would be made up of 2 keepers, 5 defenders (plus the 3 youngsters above), 6 midfielders and 1 striker. So I'd add:

A 1st choice centre back. Gerrard would be adequate but someone who would work well with Clarke would be ideal.

A first choice left back.

A 1st choice central midfielder. Someone who can get the best out of Fane, Green or Banks.

A winger who can play on the left flank. I hoped that Jahraldo-Martin would be that player but he clearly hasn't made an impact.

2 forwards minimum. One has to be an experienced target man.

So 8 out and 6 or 7 in. Possible? Probably not but if we are to stay up that's what we need.

If the embargo is still in place then get those 8 out and blood the kids for the rest of the season.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

A 1st choice central midfielder. Someone who can get the best out of Fane, Green or Banks.

Problem is they're all so different that unless we find a player who can do it all - it's so unlikely we'll find another Palmer - Robinson will have to pick one of the existing midfielders to be first choice and bring in someone who can complement him specifically.

Well Latics will wait until after Port Vale. Two wins and all will be different. Two more losses and same old same old.

We should start finding out who we are going to lose but I suspect 'getting rid' of those we don't like is going to be a problem.

I'm happy with goals conceded so the priority for me is two strikers and a proper holding midfielder who can also pass the ball.

January is the last chance saloon with a break for the FA cup so lets hope to see some action before the Gillingham game.

'We' being Shez.

I don't think Robinson is anywhere near Shez in his understanding and knowledge of the lower leagues. I'd be staggered if we can bring anyone of any note in and reckon we will go into damage limitation mode in the new year in preparation for life in League 2.

'We' being Shez.

I don't think Robinson is anywhere near Shez in his understanding and knowledge of the lower leagues. I'd be staggered if we can bring anyone of any note in and reckon we will go into damage limitation mode in the new year in preparation for life in League 2.

Your like the Morrissey of lower league football supporters.

Problem is they're all so different that unless we find a player who can do it all - it's so unlikely we'll find another Palmer - Robinson will have to pick one of the existing midfielders to be first choice and bring in someone who can complement him specifically.

Agreed we have never replaced Roger that would take some doing !!!

Sheridan and Robbo have totally different mindsets, if Robbo had s Palmer he'd tell him not to cross the half way line and retain possession at all costs, this season we need to do what Sheridan attempted to do and play 20 yards further up the pitch, Palmer was a one off because he always without fail looked for the forward pass and Kelly and Dieng were both capable of holding the midfield, he also got a tune out of Holloway and Main and Gerrard shored us up at the back, we're in a similar position in that we need four players this time though we need a steady left back, two central midfielders and a target man in the Curtis Main mould who will not only graft but he will put himself about and put his body on the line.

On the plus side our keepers as good as any at this level and we have a tremendous leader in Peter Clarke, both in my opinion are better than we had last season.

Guest nonaenever

Sheridan and Robbo have totally different mindsets, if Robbo had s Palmer he'd tell him not to cross the half way line and retain possession at all costs, this season we need to do what Sheridan attempted to do and play 20 yards further up the pitch, Palmer was a one off because he always without fail looked for the forward pass and Kelly and Dieng were both capable of holding the midfield, he also got a tune out of Holloway and Main and Gerrard shored us up at the back, we're in a similar position in that we need four players this time though we need a steady left back, two central midfielders and a target man in the Curtis Main mould who will not only graft but he will put himself about and put his body on the line.

On the plus side our keepers as good as any at this level and we have a tremendous leader in Peter Clarke, both in my opinion are better than we had last season.

Agree with this. "Mindset" will have a lot to do regarding whether we stay up or not. Robbo does seem somewhat set in his ways - unless he has a sea change, we are doomed. Our main intent every game seems to keep the opposition to "nil". When they score, we don't look like scoring 2.

Agree with this. "Mindset" will have a lot to do regarding whether we stay up or not. Robbo does seem somewhat set in his ways - unless he has a sea change, we are doomed. Our main intent every game seems to keep the opposition to "nil". When they score, we don't look like scoring 2.

Scoring two :laught30::laught16::drinking66::lol1::drinking45::cry::dance::grin::banana2::dedhrse:

As much as I hate to admit to myself but we prob won't sign anyone worth shouting about as we've no money.

We're no attraction for anyone who has more than us as an option, we won't change manager or if we do it'll be way too late.

Any manager would struggle with what he was left with but you'd at least go attacking so you could potentially entertain the fans and draw more gates for then having more money to attract better players!!

Not play not to lose, shut up shop football and say how good we played but lost again and didn't score again!

We're pretty much destined to go down now anyway......whoever we sign....

There I've said it.

As crap and depressing as it is, this is the most likely out come...boo!!