10 Years of OWTB

Used to be a cracking board this now it's dying a slow death like the club. Too many willy wavers sneering at others' posts instead of actually debating the issues. Still a few with excellent opinions like o4u, BB80 BP, singe etc...and recently NNN

Miss crossing swords and bantering with people like Stipey, Derek, frankly, Rummy, Ackey, leeslover, ketsbaia, Damian thorn, Dan, limpet, Glynn, Punkster, Harry Dowd, lags et al made some great mates over the years.

Taking off my brown stained glasses the concept of a message board has died due to the rise of instant social media it has a place but logging in is too much effort when you can get an instant reply on twatter and facefookwitbook. This board could be an integral tool for moving the club forward by bringing the fans together sadly there's too much rutting and points scoring. Sad to see...

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to be a cracking board this now it's dying a slow death like the club. Too many willy wavers sneering at others' posts instead of actually debating the issues. Still a few with excellent opinions like o4u, BP, singe etc...and recently NNN

Miss crossing swords and bantering with people like Stipey, Derek, frankly, Rummy, Ackey, leeslover, ketsbaia, Damian thorn, Dan, limpet, Glynn, Punkster, Harry Dowd, et al made some great mates over the years.

Taking off my brown stained glasses the concept of a message board has died due to the rise of instant social media it has a place but logging in is too much effort when you can get an instant reply on twatter and facefookwitbook. This board could be an integral tool for moving the club for award by bringing the fans together sadly there's too much rutting and points scoring. Sad to see...

Whatever happened to Punkster? I see him on rochdale road all the time but haven't seen him at a game for years.

Thats possibly your age mate.... Pining for the fjords. Perhaps a changed outlook.... Comes to us all. I would take 1970s football every day over this :censored:e. Some poachers turned gamekeepers along the way mind. Corporal Jones now he took some flack but was right.

I've tried to find a post after the last minute defeat to Bristol Rovers in September 2009, I called for the TTA to sell as we were going nowhere. Even I didn't think I'd be beyond right. I could see difficult times coming but nothing like this. I thought 97-2001 where as low as it could get in terms of hope. The last 3 years have been beyond that except for about 20 games in 2014....

Won't attend until Corney goes, big Barca fan and Internet entrepreneur now. Still see him every now again. Top lad!

Cheers Paul!

Aye. Still go to Barca, been going regular since 1995. Off there again start of March. Been a soci (paid up member of FCB) for 10 years now. Also now a fans rep for UK socis to the club. Also help out with our UK penya (supporters club).

Oh. Still like a pogo (when the knees allow it!).

Edited by johnny punkster

Thanks for the good work guys this board regulalry keeps me entertained on my lunch hour catching up with whats going on.

I've disagreed and despaired at some of the points of view people have put on here, but then again the same person can put something up where I find I'm nodding my head in agreement with them. I'm sure people think the same of the things I say.

I agree with others that their needs to be abit less points scoring and personal insults yes I know things are abit :censored: now but we are all on here because we want the club to succeed hope this message board continues as its far better than social media which goes totally unmodified and is pretty vulgar at times.

I enjoyed the early days of OWTB far more than I do today. I realise it's got something to do with the fortunes changing but rather than a celebration of our support for Latics, the banter has been replaced by personal insults, wild conspiracies, and copious amounts of willy waving.

I still visit here most days though (even if I often log off with my head in my hands!) and salute Rummy for its creation and him the rest of the staff for the upkeep of the site which must be a nightmare at times.

Here's to another 10 years, and let's hope our fortunes change so we can have a happier OWTB with friendlier debate.

Used to be a cracking board this now it's dying a slow death like the club. Too many willy wavers sneering at others' posts instead of actually debating the issues. Still a few with excellent opinions like o4u, BB80 BP, singe etc...and recently NNN

Miss crossing swords and bantering with people like Stipey, Derek, frankly, Rummy, Ackey, leeslover, ketsbaia, Damian thorn, Dan, limpet, Glynn, Punkster, Harry Dowd, lags et al made some great mates over the years.

Taking off my brown stained glasses the concept of a message board has died due to the rise of instant social media it has a place but logging in is too much effort when you can get an instant reply on twatter and facefookwitbook. This board could be an integral tool for moving the club forward by bringing the fans together sadly there's too much rutting and points scoring. Sad to see...

Cheers for the mention Prozac, I miss the fact we discuss with people that we might disagree with.

But it may be a symptom of a wider society, the Brexit and Trump effect.

Top effort from the people that run it.

Tbh, this place isn't as enjoyable as it was in those first 3 or 4 years, the mood is bitter and the jokes are self deprecating, there's no optismism, no one bothers with the match day chat anymore, a new signing used to get a 10 page thread (5 of those in anticipation of the signing ("F5's at the ready")), now a signing is lucky if they get a thread at all, but all that's a result of the decline of the club and how :censored: it's been supporting Oldham since 2010, it's no reflection on the OWTB team.

Good work chaps, you've done your part these past 10 years.

I'm not much of a poster, I usually think of a reply to some one and then decide it's not worth just getting shouted down by the vocal minority. Having said that I've been here reading the posts every day for nearly the full 10 years and I'd miss OWTB if it was gone.

Here's to the next 10 years. Christ knows where we'll be by then.

This will echo the posts of many others but, like them, OWTB keeps exiles like me "in the loop". We often find stuff on here before it's on the fishal. We often find some crap, too, but that's all part of it.

Although I don't post as often as some, I rarely miss a day looking in, but I do miss the chat room on match days. What's happened? It used to be that full, you couldn't get through the door. There was some good banter and terrific humour in there, often lightening the mood after a(nother) defeat. Come back, chaps and chapesses, it really does lift the gloom.

Above all, OWTB gives us exiles a chance to meet up with those who still have the misfortune (only kidding) to live in Oldham. I'm sure I've spoken to many of you at a game, mostly South of Birmingham I grant you, and not known who you are on OWTB. It's good to look forward to meeting up with the likes Mr24 (yes, honestly, I like him!), Diego Sideburns and Mrs DS, rosa, leeslover, lookersstandandy and others.

Those of you that I've got to know have also welcomed my brilliant mate, Mac, into the Latics fold. He came to his first Latics game about 15 years ago and he's been hooked ever since to the point where Latics are "his team", despite being a Bath City fan. Our wives think we're bonkers, but they go with it for the sake of our sanity. Then you think of the likes of BP1960, LaticsPete and others around my age. We most probably stood and chatted together in the RRE or the Chaddy in days gone by as youngsters.

In a nutshell, OWTB is one big family and has been for the last 10 years, so I ask that you don't spoil it. Discuss, have banter, agree and disagree with others. State points of view but don't castigate those that offer a different view. Show a bit of respect for fellow board members, even if they're on a wind up. All of that is what a Forum is about. Personal insults only demean the person making them, not the recipient. Give the chat room a crack on matchdays and have a bit of fun for an hour and a half if you can't get to the game.

So, thank you OWTB. Thanks to those that selflessly give their free time administrating something we should all enjoy.

See you at Shrewsbury.

Edited by Bristolatic