This squad v the squad we had after Chris Moore

I can't believe this is even a worthy debate. I've not seen this team in the flesh so far this season (I'll be able to judge vs Peterborough) but I've heard enough off many people I trust that it's possibly one of the worst squads in recent memory.

The post-Moore team was still head and shoulders above the team circa 1999-2000. We brought in some great loan signings after the Moore fall-out (pushing Lord Kananga aside) and by the second half of the season we were gelling quite well IIRC. We had some epic performances that season; QPR at home (w 2-1), Grimsby at home (w 6-0), Plymouth at home (w 4-1), Sheff Wed at home (w 1-0), Bristol City away (w 2-0). That team had fight and resolve in abundance, plus talent and a whole load of sticking plasters.

Today's team vs the 1999 team is probably a closer comparison.

Ah 1999

Kelly

McNiven

Garnett

Graham

Holt

Rickers

Duxbury

Sheridan

Reid

Allot

Whitehall

Subs:

Tipton

Thom

Hotte

Miskelly

Orlyggsson

Innes

Halcyon days....

That team had a stong spine, goalkeeper, centre back, playmaker, centre forward. This teams spine stops after Ripley and Clarke.

Ah 1999

Kelly

McNiven

Garnett

Graham

Holt

Rickers

Duxbury

Sheridan

Reid

Allot

Whitehall

Subs:

Tipton

Thom

Hotte

Miskelly

Orlyggsson

Innes

Halcyon days....

Didn't Allot manage 8-9 goals uptop that season which looks prolific compared to what we've got in this team this season.

Original question well we all know that the team cobbled together post Moore is far better than the current lot.

Can anyone remember a worse team than this? the class of 99 above was awful but it would probably wipe the floor with this lot.

Can anyone remember a worse team than this? the class of 99 above was awful but it would probably wipe the floor with this lot.

Now that Prozac's listed the 99 team you'd happily take 8-9 of those over the current crop. Probably all 11 in all fairness. Shez and Dux in midfield? :censored:ing dream team.

It really is :censored: this season isn't it?

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

If the original post is to compare like for like :censored: financial situations, I'd suggest we look more at Ritchies tenure and the late 1990s. He was a young, inexperienced rookie manager with awful players. But we held them dear to our hearts as they battled hard and actually had a manager with a plan. That kept us up.

Not only are both them teams better in quality they ooze fight and grit as well.

Ernie optimised what that post Moore team was about. No one would ever say he had quality but my God I'd take 11 players with his attitude.

You also felt those teams were our teams. You always had leaders and stalwarts. Only Ripley and clarke are fit to wear the shirt these days

That team had a stong spine, goalkeeper, centre back, playmaker, centre forward. This teams spine stops after Ripley and Clarke.

Most of the players don't have a spine, never mind the team.

Ernie wasn't the most naturally gifted player but this lot aren't fit to lace his boots.

Aren't you comparing apples and oranges?

Of course the squad immediately following Moore's departure was better - it had been assembled when there was money.

The current squad was assembled over years of minimal investment.

I meant right after the fire sale. 1st few games of the season...

This one..

Defender/Centre backWill Haining
Defender/Centre backDanny Hall
Defender/Centre backKangana N'Diwa-Lord
Defender/Left backRob Walker
MidfielderDanny Boshell
MidfielderPaul Murray
MidfielderDarren Sheridan
ForwardJohn Eyre
ForwardChris Killen
ForwardScott Vernon
On the bench:
MidfielderMatt O'Halloran
MidfielderCarlos Roca
I was at that game and can say, hand on heart, I've never heard of Rob Walker...
And, in answer to my own original question - yes, that was a far better side.
Had we already been in administration or were we about to go into it?
Edited by HarryBosch

Wasn't he ex-youth team? Didn't play many games, that's for sure.

We're going to regret letting Carlos Roca go one day, mark my words.

A lad I used to work on site with was playing with Carlos Roca a few years back, think he's coaching abroad now got his own business over there.