New Manager: Shez Is Back

183 members have voted

1. 1. Correct decision

• Yes
    • No

Guest nonaenever

For the team's sake, I`m glad about this. I think it also serves to illustrate that the Chairman et al do care about the club doesn't it?

If they didn't, they would just have left Robbo in position, saved a few bob in the process, and let us slide into the basement division (or not) as the case may have been. As it is, they have taken action to try and immediately improve our position. As someone else has said, I think, it also "puts to bed" some of the theories around why Shez left in the first place.

He is, in my opinion, certainly the right man for the moment - and hopefully for building in the medium to long term (if we dare use those phrases!).

Anyone know what odds you can get on us staying up? I`m not the betting type but wouldn't mind a little wager on this now.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the team's sake, I`m glad about this. I think it also serves to illustrate that the Chairman et al do care about the club doesn't it?

If they didn't, they would just have left Robbo in position, saved a few bob in the process, and let us slide into the basement division (or not) as the case may have been. As it is, they have taken action to try and immediately improve our position. As someone else has said, I think, it also "puts to bed" some of the theories around why Shez left in the first place.

Those are very generous interpretations.

Alternatively:

- the club has been run on the cheap and yet again it's backfired and we're in the :censored:, forcing Corney's hand;

- Sheridan found out the grass isn't always greener and is back for now (and there's no mention of him signing a long-term deal).

He is, in my opinion, certainly the right man for the moment - and hopefully for building in the medium to long term (if we dare use those phrases!).

Anyone know what odds you can get on us staying up? I`m not the betting type but wouldn't mind a little wager on this now.

Amazingly we're a best priced 8/11 to get relegated so you wouldn't get much better than even money on us staying up.

Could be provisionally until the end of the season for both parties to see how it goes.

No doubt the focus will be on staying in the division and I think we will see 3-4 signings happen quickly to help with that.

But looking ahead there's nothing to suggest that this summer won't be similar to last year - in fact it could be worse because we won't have anyone to sell.

Guest nonaenever

Those are very generous interpretations.

Alternatively:

- the club has been run on the cheap and yet again it's backfired and we're in the :censored:, forcing Corney's hand;

- Sheridan found out the grass isn't always greener and is back for now (and there's no mention of him signing a long-term deal).

Crusoe - appreciate what you are saying but that wasn't my point to be fair. Plenty of people have said things like, "he no longer cares" or "be happy to see us in the lower division on a lower budget; they think that's our true level", "left us to sink" - today's activity blatantly shows none of that to be true. They are fighting tooth and nail to keep us in the division (and, no doubt, people will have their own theories as to why that is).

I just think, just every now and then, a little credit is deserved. As a Latics fan I am grateful for today's events (and there are plenty of things previously I wasn't happy about). Today is a better day than yesterday - that'll do for me for now.

Crusoe - appreciate what you are saying but that wasn't my point to be fair. Plenty of people have said things like, "he no longer cares" or "be happy to see us in the lower division on a lower budget; they think that's our true level", "left us to sink" - today's activity blatantly shows none of that to be true. They are fighting tooth and nail to keep us in the division (and, no doubt, people will have their own theories as to why that is).

I just think, just every now and then, a little credit is deserved. As a Latics fan I am grateful for today's events (and there are plenty of things previously I wasn't happy about). Today is a better day than yesterday - that'll do for me for now.

A very reasonable reply, NNN. My view is that we have made a rod for our own back, just like last season, and that this could have been prevented with a little more foresight. Maybe Corney cares, but if he cared a bit more we wouldn't get into these messes in the first place.

Guest nonaenever

A very reasonable reply, NNN. My view is that we have made a rod for our own back, just like last season, and that this could have been prevented with a little more foresight. Maybe Corney cares, but if he cared a bit more we wouldn't get into these messes in the first place.

agree Crusoe! You see the remarkable unifying "Shez" influence has kicked in already - the fans are starting to unite instead of in-fighting. Now, forget the odds on staying up - what are they for play-offs !! :chubb:

It's easy to blame Corney, and there's certainly enough people happy to do so, but he'll have his own budget that he has to work within - he'll know when the bills are due, when the League payments are due and how much they are and he's the one who has to juggle the balls.

In the light of the club not commenting further could I suggest an alternative press release?

"A proud old club under a transfer embargo and in its lowest position for 60 years has today appointed its 7th manager in 30 months after going cap in hand to an out of work former employee who is now at his 5th club in 18 months having lost his last 11 competitive games. The chairman however denied it was a low point in the club's history"

Just saying, and retreating behind sand bags

Quality ???

I just think, just every now and then, a little credit is deserved. As a Latics fan I am grateful for today's events (and there are plenty of things previously I wasn't happy about). Today is a better day than yesterday - that'll do for me for now.[/quote

Surely he got the credit last season this is more Einstein definition of insanity but hopefully we do get the same result