How's Shez going to put this team out?

Which players will he like? Who won't he like?

Two up top? He kept on going on about that.

Dummigan back to right back?

Holloway and McKay combination or is Main on his way back?

Gerrard and Clarke partnership or continue with three at the back?

I said we needed 4 players in December now Burgess has gone back we need 5 Gerrard coming in at centre back should solve that.

With Holloway to come in that's one of his strikers, he will need another. Then the big thing he will have to sort with this team is the midfield. He's always had someone in the middle of the park who can put his foot on the ball and pick a pass, wether that be Wellens? Kilkenny, to a lesser extent Mark Allot or Matty Palmer. 2 more to come in another front man will surely come in. And also another midfielder. He may go for another centre mid or ofcourse he might ask Green Banks and Fane to fight it out for themselves. A call to Bolton to enquire about Chris Taylors availability must surely be on the cards. After that he may go after another left back.

From what is here well as a ball playing midfielder he may be able to get more out of Ollie Banks. Maybe the likes of Mclaughlin and Flynn might flourish from a more attacking philosophy and if we create more chances Billy McKay might find his scoring boots. We all agree that their is a player in Lee Erwin it just requires someone to get him to go in the right places perhaps Sheridan is the man to do that. He also needs to tie Connor Ripley down and make sure he goes nowhere this month and just keep telling Peter Clarke to keep doing what he does. If he does that me may well see the shezurection parte deux.

Hopefully he'll get Dummigan back to the player he was under him last season.

Provided Gerrard or another comes in the defence should remain as tight - especially if Shirtliff comes back too. Though I wouldn't be too worried if he gave Edmundson the spot next to Clarke with Wilson as cover. In fact I'd quite like to see that. Ripley will remain the player he is if not get better.

He might want a new left back but Dunne will do if he needs to use resources further forward. Reckord will have a clean slate too and may be given a chance at redemption (and rightly so).

He'll like McLaughlin and might get more end product out of him.

Flynn is a Shez player so may well kick on.

Hopefully he'll encourage Fane to stretch his legs.

He could get an Indian summer out of the much maligned Green.

He'll use Law a bit I reckon. Might have a bit more about him under different instructions.

I'm hoping he'll be the making of Banks - were they together at Chesterfield?

What Erwin, Mckay and Osei will do fascinates me most, although one or both of Mckay & Erwin might go back.

Forte has scored 7 in 22 in a :censored: Notts County side and Stead 10 in 19!

He always gets goals out of his strikers.

I'd love to see him put faith in Osei.

Doubtless he'll sign a striker. Hopefully Holloway - or a Holloway type - but I reckon he'll get a tune out of one of these useless bastards.

He'll surely sign a footballing midfielder too.

Interested to see who he moves on....

We know he liked the diamond last year, and it was very effective. He tended to let the opposition come on to us and just packed the middle of the park and allow them space out wide, which frustrated the hell out of me watching it as I was constantly expecting us to come undone (Swindon & Walsall come to mind with marauding wing backs), however it seemed to work. It helped having a calming influence in the middle of the park like Palmer, of which we haven't got anyone of note in the squad remotely like that, and two forwards who worked their arses off up top - one of which will be back with us in Holloway.

I'm skeptical of the Peter Clarke rumours - can't see why Scunthorpe would want to sign a 35yr old when they're already in a 3way battle for the title as it is.

Gerrard has also signed, I believe, so I think that leaves Shez just looking for a competent left back.

Midfield is a problem - I think he'll like Flynn at the top of the diamond, but it's the other 3 that worry me. Fane has something in him, but it wont happen overnight. Green's pretty :censored:, and Banks offers absolutely nothing.

Strikers are a bigger problem, but for some reason I do see something in McKay (yes, I might be mad) but I think he's a confidence player, and if he can play up top with someone like Holloway and bag a goal early in Shez' reign, then it might kickstart something. Alternatively, this could just be wishful thinking.

Ripley

Dummigan - Clarke - Gerrard - Wilson

Fane?

?????? - ??????

Flynn

McKay - Holloway

Not sure whether Dummigan or McLaughlin can play LB. I know Brian Wilson can do a job to an extent, so he might get the nod early on.

I think we need a LB, CM x2 and an ST

Edited by sjk2008

Interesting analysis. Shez wasn't overly concerned about Holloway and Main scoring (at first), McKay or Osei pressing might do a similar job. I can't see a diamond 4 from the current players (it's crying out for a skilful player with a goal threat and beautiful eyes at the front of it). Flynn would be on the left for me. I'd want pace in both full backs for a Clarke Gerrard partnership

We know he liked the diamond last year, and it was very effective. He tended to let the opposition come on to us and just packed the middle of the park and allow them space out wide, which frustrated the hell out of me watching it as I was constantly expecting us to come undone (Swindon & Walsall come to mind with marauding wing backs), however it seemed to work. It helped having a calming influence in the middle of the park like Palmer, of which we haven't got anyone of note in the squad remotely like that, and two forwards who worked their arses off up top - one of which will be back with us in Holloway.

I'm skeptical of the Peter Clarke rumours - can't see why Scunthorpe would want to sign a 35yr old when they're already in a 3way battle for the title as it is.

Gerrard has also signed, I believe, so I think that leaves Shez just looking for a competent left back.

Midfield is a problem - I think he'll like Flynn at the top of the diamond, but it's the other 3 that worry me. Fane has something in him, but it wont happen overnight. Green's pretty :censored:, and Banks offers absolutely nothing.

Strikers are a bigger problem, but for some reason I do see something in McKay (yes, I might be mad) but I think he's a confidence player, and if he can play up top with someone like Holloway and bag a goal early in Shez' reign, then it might kickstart something. Alternatively, this could just be wishful thinking.

Ripley

Dummigan - Clarke - Gerrard - Wilson

Fane?

?????? - ??????

Flynn

McKay - Holloway

Not sure whether Dummigan or McLaughlin can play LB. I know Brian Wilson can do a job to an extent, so he might get the nod early on.

I think we need a LB, CM x2 and an ST

Will he be employing the tactics he used at Notts County?

Clarke and Gerrard as a back two in this division is very, very impressive. Wonder if he'll go three at the back - potentially Edmundson - to add pace (even though I'm not convinced Clarke is actually that slow).

Fane and Banks is probably the most complementary pairing we have in midfield, but I can't see him liking the former's lack of ability and the latter's softness. You do wonder what he'll be able to eek out of Green, considering Shez played the midfield role til late in his career you'd expect him to have knowledge of how we should accommodate him - on form he's surely the best of the three. Good luck finding another Palmer.

As already said, he'll like the directness of McLaughlin, but I don't know if I can see him having Flynn on the left wing for some reason. Think Croft was used sporadically by him at the back end of last season so I can't see him being a regular.

As for the strikers, it'll be Holloway and McKay initially, although I do think Osei deserves a place, this is what happens when you have the managerial merry-go-round. Erwin - doubt he'll be here much longer, tbh. Definitely wouldn't rule out a return for Main.

Edited by NewBlue

Assuming no signings before tomorrow would expect similar team to Tuesday, Mckay replacing Croft.

Going forward, if Gerrard signs then could see Edmondson at right back and a new left back.

Would expect to see a new central midfielder for sure, Croft injury sounded long term so probably seen the last of him.

Up front expecting to see Holloway sign, Erwin more in the Main mould, Mckay more likely to get a goal, imagine one stays, one would go back and another one in.

Clarke and Gerrard as a back two in this division is very, very impressive. Wonder if he'll go three at the back - potentially Edmundson - to add pace (even though I'm not convinced Clarke is actually that slow).

Fane and Banks is probably the most complementary pairing we have in midfield, but I can't see him liking the former's lack of ability and the latter's softness. You do wonder what he'll be able to eek out of Green, considering Shez played the midfield role til late in his career you'd expect him to have knowledge of how we should accommodate him - on form he's surely the best of the three. Good luck finding another Palmer.

As already said, he'll like the directness of McLaughlin, but I don't know if I can see him having Flynn on the left wing for some reason. Think Croft was used sporadically by him at the back end of last season so I can't see him being a regular.

As for the strikers, it'll be Holloway and McKay initially, although I do think Osei deserves a place, this is what happens when you have the managerial merry-go-round. Erwin - doubt he'll be here much longer, tbh. Definitely wouldn't rule out a return for Main.

Clarke is a good defender for sure, he is definitely slow as soon as a forward has turned him or has room to run into he struggles and tries to block them or bring them down hes no Earl Barret or Paul Warhurst in terms of recovery.

Assuming no signings before tomorrow would expect similar team to Tuesday, Mckay replacing Croft.

Going forward, if Gerrard signs then could see Edmondson at right back and a new left back.

Would expect to see a new central midfielder for sure, Croft injury sounded long term so probably seen the last of him.

Up front expecting to see Holloway sign, Erwin more in the Main mould, Mckay more likely to get a goal, imagine one stays, one would go back and another one in.

Dummigan??